Who here is active in the ARBA?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to find this thread. I have just been considering trying a show or two. I will look into ARBA in the next few day. I know nothing about showing and honestly can't even pose my rabbits very well. But, I have to start somewhere.
What are some things you wish you would have know in your first show days? What would be your advice to a total newbie for showing? I appreciate your input.
Here is a picture of my 9 month old buck, Patterson, that I am considering for show. What do you think? I also have a pedigreed light gray Flemish Giant buck that I am considering.
I agree with @Jackrabbit about Patterson's type - a little long in the shoulder, peaks early so he comes off as flat. These are pretty common faults and chances are good you'll hear the same thing about at least a few other rabbits on the judging table. It looks like you've got him posed nicely but some minor adjustments might help him (hard to say without getting hands on him); the judge(s) will take care of that, as most of them are quite good at helping a rabbit look its best.

As I've mentioned before, I love the depth of his color, and his spots are pretty well defined and distributed; though his ears look a bit brindled, that won't lose him a lot of points. Color only accounts for 10 points in rex anyway. I remember him having some color on his nose, maybe on the left side? The ideal is a well-balanced nose marking, but as long as there's some color somewhere on the nose he's fine.

A rex has a lot of points on fur, of course: 40 points for fur and 45 for type, so depending on his texture, density and how close to prime he is, that could make or break him on the show table. If he stays in good condition (don't say the word "show" in his presence or you'll see a rabbit start to molt faster than you thought possible, haha!) I'd certainly take him, if only to see the judge(s) handle and pose him and give you feedback on his various qualities. And you never know what the competition will be...!

Do we get to see a picture of your Flemish? :giggle:

Showing is a lot of fun! You don’t have to be an ARBA member to show, but it’s necessary if you plan to register/GC your rabbits (if they meet the requirements, and have legs)….as for your buck, hes long in the shoulders, peeks early, and could use more depth. He seems to be “showable” does he have a nose marking?
Thanks. I have a lot to learn. Not much color on his nose.

Attachments

• 20221207_124955.jpg
    20221207_124955.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 0
I remember him having some color on his nose, maybe on the left side? The ideal is a well-balanced nose marking, but as long as there's some color somewhere on the nose he's fine.
Thanks for all the input.
Very little nose color on Patterson.
A rex has a lot of points on fur
His fur is amazing. The buck I had before him, couldn't even begin to compare with his quality.
Do we get to see a picture of your Flemish? :giggle:
This is Pierre, obviously not posed. He is almost 8 months old.

I will most likely go to the Sandpoint show to observe and then possible enter a couple in the Moscow show. Hartlyn, who is offspring of Hershey & Patterson, is also shaping up pretty nicely. She is only 4 months old.

Attachments

• Pierre.jpg
    Pierre.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I'm new to rabbit world. I appreciate this group because folks here are so generous in their efforts to educate and support one another, including us newbies. I'm gathering that ARBA has guidelines on breeding? Is this only relevant for those showing rabbits or does it have a broader roll? Would a small family meat rabbit operation have some benefit in looking them up? Thanks.
ARBA's encourages the responsible breeding of the rabbit breeds in an effort to improve each breed to its type. Breeding irresponsibly inevitably waters down the gene pool for each breed. Education and networking is their main goal. Showing is only one of the aspects of ARBA.

Latest posts

Back