Who can recommend some drop pans?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyotejoe

Reaction score
I'm needing a couple of new drop pans soon and 4 more eventually to replace the 4 crummy pans I got from Tractor Supply. I'll attach a photo of one of those pans so all can know not to buy them. Other places besides TS sell that same pan which is to be avoided. Mine are less than one year old and all are warped and misshapen making it very difficult to slide them out and dump them without spilling bunny pee all over.
Now I am trying to decide between a hopefully better plastic like Dura-Tray or metal like Miller Manufacturing. The metal trays are galvanized steel. I know galvanization does resist rust but it isn't rust proof and bunny pee is probably quite corrosive so I'm inclined toward plastic but the plastic trays I have did not do well so maybe steel would be better or then again--- I don't know. :?

Attachments

• TS drop pan2.jpg
    TS drop pan2.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 1,048
I make all my cages at 24"X36", I am planning on using the large cement mixing trays that I can purchase from either Lowes or Home Depot as my drop pans. They feel as if they would hold up better then what you have pictured. <br /><br /> -- Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:23 pm -- <br /><br /> I make all my cages at 24"X36", I am planning on using the large cement mixing trays that I can purchase from either Lowes or Home Depot as my drop pans. They feel as if they would hold up better then what you have pictured.

Those Tractor Supply pans are awful. The cages that come with those pans are equally as awful. I will eventually be replacing them with ones from Bass Supply Company. I have 2 of their 30x36 tri-deckers and they are good quality. I opted for the plastic pans. Metal is available.

Bass equipment makes standard and custom metal pans. We replace all the plastic pans in our chinchilla cages with those and are making guinea pig cages with them instead of the coroplast lots of people use. They are a little heavier than plastic but not a whole lot more expensive and they won't bend with use or crack in winter.

Zass":2rgq16gh said:
I agree with the others. The TSC trays are flimsy and overpriced for what they are.

Unfortunately as I shop the net I see that Tractor supply is not the only vendor of those crummy pans.

I would find a local cage maker and buy a dura tray from them or order online from Klubertanz.

I bit the bullet and ordered 2 galvanized steel 30x36" pans from Klubetanz. They were actually a little cheaper than what I paid for the crummy plastic pans from TS but I don't yet know what shipping will cost, there is an extra charge for "oversize" packaging. Eventually I will want 4 more pans so with the Klubertanz pans as a pattern I will shop local sheet metal places to see what they would charge to make some for me. I have nothing against Klubertanz, I think they are fine folks but where possible I'd like to give my business to local people who are struggling to get by here in God's own little corner of Montana. :)

coyotejoe":3r1mnsec said:
I bit the bullet and ordered 2 galvanized steel 30x36" pans from Klubetanz. They were actually a little cheaper than what I paid for the crummy plastic pans from TS but I don't yet know what shipping will cost, there is an extra charge for "oversize" packaging. Eventually I will want 4 more pans so with the Klubertanz pans as a pattern I will shop local sheet metal places to see what they would charge to make some for me. I have nothing against Klubertanz, I think they are fine folks but where possible I'd like to give my business to local people who are struggling to get by here in God's own little corner of Montana. :)

If you are ever in the market again, I think https://www.qualitycage.com/ makes good products. Their based out of Portland , OR.

Homer called this one spot on when he warned me about the slowness of Klubertanz. I ordered from them on November 7th. I called on December first to inquire as to when they might ship and was told "maybe Dec. 20 maybe Dec 27 so I canceled the order and ordered from Kammalop. They notified me yesterday that my pans had shipped. :lol:

Glad you got some coming...finally. ;)

You really can't beat Dwight & Marion for service. :yes:

The only time they are a little slow is show season but that's only two days (weekends) and not weeks on end with a bunch of excuses why. :x

The drop pans from Kammalop arrived today, now I can put another cage into use and further separate the kits so they're not so overcrowded.

Homer, while I had ordered metal pans from Kluber, when I had to reorder from Kammalop I decided to go with plastic Dura-Trays because they are so highly recommended on this site and because I feel that steel pans, no matter how well galvanized, must eventually rust.
And for Sagebrush, ask and ye shall--- well. you know how it goes. :lol: They are now just a few days short of nine weeks, weigh something over four pounds and one has already been converted to Honey Baked Rabbit.
nine week bunnies 2.jpg
nine week bunnies 4.jpg
The four pound bunnies would be more like three if you deduct the ears. :lol: I know ears are of no value on a meat rabbit but they sure are cute. I call them "earsandahalf". That would probably sound better in German.

Attachments

• nine week bunnies 6.jpg
    nine week bunnies 6.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 200
I'll probably butcher another today or tomorrow. I haven't decided on a recipe but I'm thinking maybe just pan fried with green beans and mashed potatoes.

Back