When to rebreed.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Define failed--she had kits and they died, or she never had kits and just did not get pregnant in the first place?

She gave birth a week before she was supposed to and all the babies died because they were completely premature.

Well in that case her condition is the deciding factor. I would probably give her a few days but if she is looking smooth coated and smooth bodied you can rebreed pretty fast. If she is not receptive don't push her, but in colonies and the wild, rabbits will often rebreed the same day. If she is at all skinny or rough coated, I would feed her up first. You want to ask if there was a clear reason why she gave birth prematurely also. That is not super common. If she was not eating well due to stress that could be one cause.

She lost a little bit of weight when I got her because the breeder how had her was feeding her bread. She still has a good amount of meat on her and probably even a little bit of fat so she is not under feed but the trip I went on to get the home was stressful but that was almost two weeks ago so that can’t be the reason.

Just to add that if she does have a litter, you can rebreed at four weeks and take the kits away at 8 or 6 weeks

I tried and she didn’t lift. I only had her in white the buck for a few minutes because my mother insisted to take her out.

Some moms don't like the idea of the poor mother rabbit being hassled near childbirth. A bit like my dad did not believe in neutering dogs. :)

Could be a bit of anthropomorphizing? I try to be sympathetic with those people, while insisting that animals are not people and do not want to be treated the same.

Some moms don't like the idea of the poor mother rabbit being hassled near childbirth. A bit like my dad did not believe in neutering dogs. :)

Could be a bit of anthropomorphizing? I try to be sympathetic with those people, while insisting that animals are not people and do not want to be treated the same.
My husband did this when we neutered our first buck. I think he secretly wishes he could be a male rabbit. 😆

You can also check her vulva. The pinker the better until it goes purplish and then they are close to their few days of not being fertile. If it is dark pink and also a little swollen, great.

My husband and dog's balls...lol.

I would keep trying her every day until she lifts.

What was the reason your mom wanted you to take her out?
my mother doesn’t completely understand that rabbits can get pregnant soon after a failed litter. she wants to late a week.

Well in that case her condition is the deciding factor. I would probably give her a few days but if she is looking smooth coated and smooth bodied you can rebreed pretty fast. If she is not receptive don't push her, but in colonies and the wild, rabbits will often rebreed the same day. If she is at all skinny or rough coated, I would feed her up first. You want to ask if there was a clear reason why she gave birth prematurely also. That is not super common. If she was not eating well due to stress that could be one cause.
I would have to disagree... I would say most likely pump up her protein first give it a couple weeks, re breed and feed extra protein during as well. Her body needs time to build snd recover no less than any other animal.

Latest posts

Back