When to breed a recovering rabbit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Copied from Alaska Satin above: "I don't know anyone who has lost an entire herd, or even most of their herd to snuffles, though I've heard about people that have euthanized entire herds in response to the threat of the disease. I may or may not have had rabbits with snuffles in my barn in the last 20-some years; I've had rabbits with suspicious symptoms, but can't say for sure since I've never had a culture done. But I have never used antibiotics to deal with runny noses (or anything else for that matter) in my rabbits. I would also not consider euthanizing an entire herd over a pathogen, because there always seem to be some individuals which are resistant to whatever organism it is, and those are the ones I want and need to produce a disease-resistant herd. "

(I totally agree that culling a whole barn does not make sense! ) I'm pretty much in agreement with you Satin and have enjoyed the discussion. I think each breeder has to figure out with as much knowledge as they can gather, how they will respond to viruses and diseases that can spread. I think full disclosure to
prospective buyers, informing them of your personal breeding program such as vac v no vac., handling viruses etc and quarantine practices, is important. Resistance from too much antibiotics is a big concern in my opinion.)

"People have many different perspectives and approaches to dealing with health and illness in their animals, and it's up to each to determine his or her own practices. It's fair for a prospective buyer to inquire about the approach used by a particular breeder. In my barn, rabbits that develop anything unusual in their respiratory behavior, like snotty noses or a rattle in their breathing, that doesn't respond to VetRx and/or GSE and lasts longer than a few days, are culled, because you get what you breed and I don't want rabbits that get sick. " TOTALLY AGREE!

Alaska Satin appreciate your and everyone's input, your take on an important issue and having a discussion about it! I know in the NW it is a major topic of concern.

Latest posts

Back