When do you introduce greens?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevonW

Reaction score
I find a lot of breeders seem to be religious about the "No greens until 6 months of age" then slowly introduce greens into the diet rule.

I'm more of a they'll have greens from the moment they start eating solid food (mind you momma eats most of it). I never have a problem with GI problems or bloating at all.

I was just wondering what everyone else views on greens for youngsters was.

"As in nature" here... right from the beginning. I even drop a leaf or two of plantain or raspberry into the nestbox, just in case any precocious popples need to start experimenting. Never had a problem.

I think the thing is to present the greens before they are really interested. If they are always there, there is no temptation to pig out later. Their systems naturally adjust along with their appetites.

Same here. If you introduce greens before they are actively eating they will nibble a bit and get the rest of their diet from momma. By the time they are eating mostly solid food they are fully used to greens and won't have a problem with them.

only time I had a problem was taking my fully green-fed rabbits back to pellets due to shortage of plants (we were told I had to chop down my presious weeds and stop watering them, lol.)

shrarvrs":3898hsza said:
only time I had a problem was taking my fully green-fed rabbits back to pellets due to shortage of plants (we were told I had to chop down my presious weeds and stop watering them, lol.)

That certainly could be a problem! You would have to transition them in reverse. Lots more hay to replace the greens and slowly, slowly add the pellets.

I used to be one of those who fed green feeds and veggies only as an infrequent treat.
I now take all of my weeds [those that I feel are edible] and feed them to the rabbits.
Of course they are divided about so all get a far share and are not getting so much
that I fear illness. It does help to stretch my pelleted feed a very little bit.
I find that the greens do not put flesh on as quickly as the Pelleted ration,
but I have seen no problems as of yet caused by it.
I think of it as recycling. The weeds become feed rather than a compost additive.
Dennis, C.V.R.

dennis, if you use your poop in the garden, they do double duty! Feed your rabbits, and then make great garden additives!

You know Shara,
I forgot to mention that I compost the Rabbit manure.
It is GREAT. Rabbit droppings can be composted or used strait
from the rabbit on the garden. I have a few farmer friends that swear by it.
I ovten trade a few bags of manure for a bail or two of grass-hay.
Dennis, C.V.R.

Latest posts

Back