When can I breed again?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attal.Rabbits

Reaction score
My mama rabbit had a littler of rabbits 9 days ago, i have read i can breed her when the babys are 5 weeks old, some say right away, some say 6 months.. when can i breed her again so i can plan ahead. :bunnyhop:

You can do 2wks after kindle if you want high output, but make sure the doe is in proper, healthy body condition before doing so.
I wait until I wean, 4wks.
But you can breed anytime after 2wks and she is fit and healthy.

It depends on how soon you want another litter and how easily your doe handles raising the kits. Does can and do breed immediately after kindling. I like a quicker breed back than some people but I also let the does condition be a deciding factor. Gestation in rabbits is 28-35 days, if you breed her back now she's kindling when her present litter is approximately six weeks old. Do you have grow out space for the litter? When did you plan on weaning the present litter? Is the doe skinny or she is stil nice and chunky? These are the questions that are going to determine when you breed your doe again.

Mine are bred within days of kindling and I have some that have been doing that for 3 years without a problem. They do get some break in the summer when the bucks go sterile and occasionally lose a litter in winter if it gets subzero out. It all depends on the doe and other factors like what you are feeding as to how good of condition she stays in and how soon she can be rebred. You also have to plan for the number of rabbits you will get. Mine are weaned by 4 weeks because of the short breed back time.

My rabbit is a wonderful mother and nice and healthy and i have my rabbits living inside so there nice and warm, she is nice and round and plumbed and lots of energy and she does wonderful with her babys, i wanted to wean them at 6=8 weeks. it all depends on how each rabbit is doing because they are all acutally going as pets i have owners lined up for them and peole lined up just in case the owners back out. :) :D

kits are nine days old, she's plump and round? I'd rebreed her at day 11. Wean the kits at five weeks old which is good. gets them well started and used to being away from mom before they go to their new digs. :) Do to be alert to the fact that you cannot count a rabbit sold until it's actually paid for and out of your house.

So unless you have another use for the ensuing rabbits, don't breed her again.

I breed mine a week or two after weaning (I wean kits at 4 to 5 weeks old). Just because I am nice to my does and like to keep them fat. And I have nine does, so keeping them all pregnant all the time would give me more juvenille rabbits than I have growout pens for!

The more heavily you breed your does, the shorter their lifespan will be. It makes sense if you think about it. You could get 5 or 6 litters a year out of a doe for two years, or get 3 or 4 litters a year out of her for 4 years. I get a little fond of my good mama's and like to have them around for awhile, but I'm not exactly making any money off of this rabbit business, either.

If you wait 6 months chances are very good she will not get pregnant.

that brings up another issue, how do you wean babys i know there are sevreal ways to do it, some remove the babys one by one, or some remove mama rabbit for an hour one day then two hours the next day and so on and so fourth.. how do you all personally wean your rabbits?

Most wean themselves because they are going to have another litter or they just get tired of the babies. You remove the kits when the doe starts avoiding them completely or gets grumpy with them. Some will even start to charge them when they've had enough.

I wean the kits at six weeks, I do this by
removing the kits and as I Do, I am Tattooing them
if their ears will permit it. I try to separate them by Sex.
I will often have two or more litters together, all the more reason
to Tattoo them.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I remove my babies about 4-6 weeks.
I make sure they are all eating pellet and drinking and I dont see them trying to grab a nursing all the time.

I start with maybe half the litter (biggest ones first) then pull the rest few days later.

personally all of mine have weaned the babies by 4wks. i did nothing. i just feel the mommas bellies after i remove babies to make sure there isnt a bunch of milk in her or anything.

Latest posts

Back