What's a Good Weight?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigredfeather

Reaction score
My first litter of babies are 4 weeks old today and I am going to put them in their grow pen in the next day or two. So far, I've only fed them barley fodder, mulberry leaves/sticks, and other misc forage, no pellets. I am wondering how their rate of growth is compared to those fed on pellets. I am going to weigh them when I move them.

What would be a good weight per kit at the four week old mark? They are California/mutt cross. I know it can vary based on breed and such, just wondering if what I am feeding them is keeping them at least close to other feeding regiments. I found a chart that suggested 1 1/2 pounds at this age. Is that about right?

Thanks.

Mine were 800gr at 5 weeks. Cross between checkered giant and a small meatbreed. Not sure if thats good though :)

Breed pays a big role in weight but so does feed.
Bark has a higher content of protein then leafs and greens and protein is responsible for weight gain and that is why many pellets contain soy.
Alfalfa has enough protein to promote weight gain.

I weigh mine at 3 weeks. My recent batches weighed between 12 and 15 ounces. I usually weigh again at 5 weeks and then again at 8 weeks. Not reaching 5 lbs at 8 weeks yet but working towards it. Btw, I do pellets with hay and some greens daily.

Back