What do you think of this eye problem?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legacy

Reaction score
I bought a rabbit a while back that had a distinct mark/scratch on the middle of her eye that ran up and down through the center. Her eye was weepy/leaky. A few days later it started looking infected. I bought the antibiotic eye salve from tractor supply and started using that in her eye. It cleared up after a few days. I stopped using the ointment, it came back. I started using it again, it totally cleared up. I stopped using it, it came back. I have had her for 8 months or so now and she still has this. Whenever I treat it, it totally clears up, when I stop it comes back.

I am afraid of what yall will tell me because I'm afraid I already know the answer.

What do ya think?

I believe the Rabbit has Pasteurella,
it shows itself in many ways.
Since it keeps returning, if it were mine I would cull it ASAP!
I would disinfect everything that rabbit came in contact with
and pray that no other rabbit has become a carrier.
As always, JMPO.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

That's what I was afraid of.<br /><br />__________ Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:15 pm __________<br /><br />That's what I was afraid of.

I agree with Dennis. You need to get this rabbit out of your herd ASAP. Whatever way you decide to do it, just do it soon.

I agree that you need to be careful. It could be that the infection was the cause of the scratch if the doe was sick first and trying to relieve the discomfort in her eye by scratching or rubbing it on something. I tend to think it was because the scratch should have healed by now but the infection is still there.

I disagree. I think he has a scratched cornea. Sometimes they never heal because there is a flap of skin that gets irritated and then becomes infected over and over again. If he were a person they might try a patch or a stitch. Not sure you could patch a rabbits eye but as long as he is using it the irritation will continue.
You may try going on ask a vet to see if there is anything you can do.
I do agree with the advice to cull because his immune system is not able to fight off the infection and you don't want a rabbit with an infected eye mingling with the others. This could be the door to infection spreading to the rest of your herd.

I agree with the infection due to injury theory. While I know it's not exactly the same, we had a cat with a similar problem, she damaged her eye, it got infected, and though the initial infection was cleared up, she continued to have problems with the eye being weepy and more prone to infection. That being said, I have to admit to knowing nothing about pasturella.

I had a house rabbit that died of pasteurella that formed an abscess in her eye. It looked like a cataract. I took her to a vet at the time, and the only option given was surgical removal of the eye ($600+!). That wasn't an option- her name was Hassenpfeffer, but Hubs called her "Stew"... :lol:

When you say it "looked infected" what exactly do you mean? Green discharge? Or white/yellowish? The pasteurella pus is a creamy yellowish color.

Corneal scratches can take a very long time to heal completely. Hubs got poked in the eye by a twisty willow branch that was part of a flower arrangement (who knew that taking time to smell the flowers could be so hazardous?!) and even a year later when he went swimming the pressure from the water hurt his eye!

If she is precious to you, I would take her to the vet and have it checked. If they could rule out pasteurella it might be worth the peace of mind. Checking for a scratch is a very simple test- they just put a drop of ? in the eye, and look at it under a black light. The treatment protocol would probably be the same, though- non-steroidal ointment applied to the cornea... unless they stitch it closed as Currittuck mentioned.

Latest posts

Back