What could these 2 produce?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankeedoodle

Reaction score
The silverfox carries blue and I've no clue about the gray one, I think she's magpie. Would the kits be broken solid or look like the doe20231111_113549.jpg

The silverfox carries blue and I've no( clue about the gray one, I think she's magpie. Would the kits be broken solid or look like the doe
Wow, this makes quite an alphabet soup genetically. According to Silver Fox Rabbits Genetics Silver Fox rabbits should be non-agouti self (aa), and full-extension (EE, not steel or harlequin or fawn), plus the silvering gene (si si). Magpie is a broken harlequin with the chinchilla gene. If your Silver Fox carries blue, we can guess aa B- C- Dd EE. The magpie would be A- for the agouti, but she looks like she might be a blue magpie, the markings don't look black. If so, that would be B- for the black, and dd to turn the black into blue. Chinchilla would be chd-, and the broken gene as well, which is dominant, and is usually preferred as En en to avoid Charlies that don't have enough color and could suffer from megacolon.

Now, when you put that all together, there are very few genes in common. The kits would get one gene from each parent: The Silver Fox can only contribute the recessive self non-agouti, the doe could have Aa or AA. Which means you have a 50/50 chance of agouti based colors. Both rabbits are black-based, but there is no way to know if they have chocolate recessive, so there is a 1 in 4 chance something chocolate-based could show up. Dad is full-color, but if mom is a magpie, she is a more recessive chinchilla-based color. There's no way to tell if either of them are carrying more recessive Himalayan/California or ruby-eyed white, dad could even carry a chinchilla recessive and you wouldn't know. So there's a lot of unknowns here. If mom is a blue, and dad carries blue, there's a reasonably good chance for some dilute colors. Dad should be full-extension, which is dominant over harlequin, so I wouldn't expect harlequin babies, but be prepared for some weird off colors, as harlequin as a recessive often tweaks the dominant color. It's called a "harlequinized" color, and could have faint striping, or mottled ear colors.

For the other genes, broken is dominant, and mom probably only has one copy of the broken gene, so there's a 50/50 chance for brokens. Silvering can show up in rabbits carrying one silvering recessive and one normal dominant gene, although usually lightly with stray white hairs.

So, what can you get? Maybe agouti, maybe not. Probably black-based color. Probably full-color, but maybe not. Maybe dilute, maybe not. Could have harlequinized color, with stray white hairs and a 50/50 chance of brokens. Like I said, alphabet soup. A look at a pedigree will give you more clues to some background possibilities for the recessives.

Wow, this makes quite an alphabet soup genetically. According to Silver Fox Rabbits Genetics Silver Fox rabbits should be non-agouti self (aa), and full-extension (EE, not steel or harlequin or fawn), plus the silvering gene (si si). Magpie is a broken harlequin with the chinchilla gene. If your Silver Fox carries blue, we can guess aa B- C- Dd EE. The magpie would be A- for the agouti, but she looks like she might be a blue magpie, the markings don't look black. If so, that would be B- for the black, and dd to turn the black into blue. Chinchilla would be chd-, and the broken gene as well, which is dominant, and is usually preferred as En en to avoid Charlies that don't have enough color and could suffer from megacolon.

Now, when you put that all together, there are very few genes in common. The kits would get one gene from each parent: The Silver Fox can only contribute the recessive self non-agouti, the doe could have Aa or AA. Which means you have a 50/50 chance of agouti based colors. Both rabbits are black-based, but there is no way to know if they have chocolate recessive, so there is a 1 in 4 chance something chocolate-based could show up. Dad is full-color, but if mom is a magpie, she is a more recessive chinchilla-based color. There's no way to tell if either of them are carrying more recessive Himalayan/California or ruby-eyed white, dad could even carry a chinchilla recessive and you wouldn't know. So there's a lot of unknowns here. If mom is a blue, and dad carries blue, there's a reasonably good chance for some dilute colors. Dad should be full-extension, which is dominant over harlequin, so I wouldn't expect harlequin babies, but be prepared for some weird off colors, as harlequin as a recessive often tweaks the dominant color. It's called a "harlequinized" color, and could have faint striping, or mottled ear colors.

For the other genes, broken is dominant, and mom probably only has one copy of the broken gene, so there's a 50/50 chance for brokens. Silvering can show up in rabbits carrying one silvering recessive and one normal dominant gene, although usually lightly with stray white hairs.

So, what can you get? Maybe agouti, maybe not. Probably black-based color. Probably full-color, but maybe not. Maybe dilute, maybe not. Could have harlequinized color, with stray white hairs and a 50/50 chance of brokens. Like I said, alphabet soup. A look at a pedigree will give you more clues to some background possibilities for the recessives.
Thank you this is the kind of response I was hoping for. It's a long story but I was afraid of rabbits most my life then found the buck dumped on the road in rough shape over a year ago, fell in love and found out he was a silverfox. And the doe is a rescue from a swap also in poor condition (ear mites, skinny, fleas) both are healthy now but no pedigree. My sf doe is pedigreed with blue lines from Georgia so that's how ik he carries blue. It'll be fun to see what they give

Attachments

• 20231026_180835.jpg
    20231026_180835.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230608_121853.jpg
    20230608_121853.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back