What color NZ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah, I have no issues with it, just wanted to know for records and such. My first pair of SF were full siblings, no issues from them. But the buck wast taken by a coon, so waiting on a new trio from a blue breeder.<br /><br />__________ Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:12 am __________<br /><br />Blue and off blue are related as well. Which makes non-related pairs. =D

Blue NZ (or black carrying dilute) bred to red can give you opal babies. Still full NZ, just not showable colouring (blue currently isn't showable by ARBA standards either but it's still a purebred NZ).

Ok, got pics, but found out the 'blue' buck broke his tibia, not sure if he will be around much longer..
Pics in full sun, camera still had a bit of an issue getting the colors right. Does are more calm than the bucks. Red went flying after the pics, blue couldn't be trusted for me to let go of him.

'Black' doe. She has some browning on her forehead and some browning coming down her shoulders. That's new fur, on her rump is baby fur. Not sure what to call it, no Sun here to bleach her.
doe2a.jpg

doe2.jpg

'Opal' doe. Yes there's tanning here and there.
doe1a.jpg

doe1.jpg

Broken legged buck, no tanning.
buck1.jpg

'Red' buck, not as red as I see others have, there's brown on him, too.
buck2.jpg

None of those rabbits resemble a NZ rabbit.The broken legged buck is also Opal as i can see the white belly.. they just have poor quality ring def. The last buck is chestnut not red. They look like they have Belgian Hare in them (long narrow heads and body and very long front legs like the hare)... although perhaps they are some sort of "Brazilian" like has been mentioned.

Don't all rabbits go through lanky stages? They are 2.5-3 months old.

I'm finding no such thing as a Brazilian rabbit.
Ugh, I hate people. What am I supposed to do with these stupid mutt rabbits now?
Are they even worth breeding for meat? They were $15 each, so much rather not kill em off.

I don't see long heads, they were very active and stretching out to sniff around. Heads are small, the broken legged buck's head is in my hand, rest were moving and made their heads look bigger.

ChickiesnBunnies":1srsk2uj said:
Don't all rabbits go through lanky stages? They are 2.5-3 months old.

I'm finding no such thing as a Brazilian rabbit.
Ugh, I hate people. What am I supposed to do with these stupid mutt rabbits now?
Are they even worth breeding for meat? They were $15 each, so much rather not kill em off.

I don't see long heads, they were very active and stretching out to sniff around. Heads are small, the broken legged buck's head is in my hand, rest were moving and made their heads look bigger.

Yes, but I can still tell a Rex from an NZ (disregarding fur) at any stage.

As far as I know, the best way to tell if they will be good for meat is to watch how they grow, and see fi they take the shape of a good meat rabbit.

Anyone else think these are NOT NZ rabbits?

W/e breed they are, heck ignoring that, what would be the best color names for what the fur is?
Opal, black, chestnut?

But I don't want meat mutts! I bought NZ to breed and sell NZ.
Can all of y'all say they are not NZ? If so, I will have a chat with the lady who sold them to me and see if I can return them or something. I have no space for random rabbits nor to be wasting $15 on each.
Ugh....
I'm dropping $40 on a SF buck tomorrow...this is so not right...wtf is wrong with 2012...
:(

Yes rabbits do go through lanky stages, and I can see they have the larger ears etc. of that "teenage" phase rabbits go through. The black doe looks the best, she is a little more hefty and solid than the others, but they may fill out and surprise everyone! Although to be honest a purebred breeder probably wouldn't be making the type of colour crosses that get the unshowable colours unless they were going to eat them themselves. As for the Blue NZ, I have seen them and they are awesome but they are very few and far between until the COD gets passed, so unless they come from a longtime breeder or a COD holder themselves, I would just assume that some other breed was introduced to get the dilute into their stock. This type of outcrossing does go on all the time in anticipation of a colour being passed!

I don't mind what color they are nor that they wanted meat rabbits from them. I want meat rabbits as well. I breed for temperament, meat type, litter size and doe's ability to care for them.
Having different color breeders is more for me to be able to tell them apart just by looking at the individual rabbit or who it's next to from my house or at a distance.

They were very wiggly and hopping about, so I can see how they can look long, hare-like or off. But when they sit still, they look nothing like a hare or other such rabbits. Those last pics were for color in the Sun only, not body type.

ChickiesnBunnies":2kcof9no said:
But I don't want meat mutts! I bought NZ to breed and sell NZ.
Can all of y'all say they are not NZ? If so, I will have a chat with the lady who sold them to me and see if I can return them or something. I have no space for random rabbits nor to be wasting $15 on each.
Ugh....
I'm dropping $40 on a SF buck tomorrow...this is so not right...wtf is wrong with 2012...
:(
You asked if they were NZ's or not... in fact you asked twice in this thread, Now in order to say that they are NZ's one MUST look at type NOT colour to determine that! The pictures are clear enough to see that they are not, sorry if thats not what you wanted. I just mentioned that dilute would mean they are even less likely to be pure. The lady probably honestly believes they are pure as most people NOT involved in the showing end of things are not aware of the subtle and not so subtle differences in the breeds. They tend to also call every large rabbit over 5 pounds a NZ no matter what! Everything under is a "dwarf". A pure NZ also is a beast at 5 pounds.. Check out a meat pen at an ARBA show, they are one of the few that are not really that lanky/awkward looking when young. Think about that.. a rabbit that meets 5 pounds at around 9 to 10 weeks is ready to be butchered with a great amount of meat on its carcass. They can't be lanky and awkward at that stage if one is raising for meat!!!
Now I understand that you are probably less than impressed with the person who sold you the rabbits, so I would say its up to you of course, but if you plan to sell offspring from these as NZ's then it will be likely that others will be thinking of you in the same way! The only way out of that is to remove the "breed label" as sell them "as is where is" !

I've had a lot of crap go wrong this year, so obviously I'm going to be stressed over this as well.
I guess I will keep the does and sell the bucks. Try to get some real NZ and move on.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:07 pm __________<br /><br />Seller told me the buck she has is 14+ pounds, does that change what anyone thinks these rabbits are?

Seller offered to buy them back, not sure if she will take all or not. Do you think I should and look elsewhere for real, pure NZ w/papers?

Latest posts

Back