What color NZ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
What color would you guys say this doe is?
250614_427292467304267_1571253269_n.jpg

This buck is blue, the doe about should be, too. But what do you guys call the color?
boy2.jpg

The doe looks like a Brazilian. She blue iv seen some diluted castors in rexes but not that blue. You shure she a new Zealand and not a Brazilian rabbit?

I got 4 of them and they all should be New Zealand. Mix of black, blue, red, gray[returned] & this 'blue' one.

NZ's come in blue too? I thought red, white, and black was it.

I'd say opal too, because of the eye rings, chin marking, etc. Her "blue" portion is muddied looking because of the ticking. I don't know what that means, though.

Pics are close to what they look like. I'll get new ones in daylight tomorrow of both.

looks opal to me as well... if they are breeding blues (which I've heard of but never seen) the dilute is just turning the chestnut into opal.

I was thinking Opal, but that would mean they aren't New Zealands (purebreds, at least). Mary Ann is correct, New Zealand Blues are simply a dilute of Black.

I was thinking Brazilian, too. Do they come in Opal?

i used to get Opals like this all the time. And they were purebred NZ. I had a black NZ doe, and a chest nut NZ buck who was out of a red NZ and a white NZ that i had raised myself. So yea its possable that they are purebred.

Hmm, so what do I call them? The buck is far lighter in color and the doe is darker with light browning around the edges.
I want to add them to Kintraks, but want the 'right' color on there.

I see that color here in new zealand crossed with flemish giants. I hate them flemish giants ,,,,Its hard to find good new zealands here, people want breed them with flemish giants all over oregon washington and idaho.

toastedoat37":r0um71k2 said:
I see that color here in new zealand crossed with flemish giants. I hate them flemish giants ,,,,Its hard to find good new zealands here, people want breed them with flemish giants all over oregon washington and idaho.
Yup, there you go. It dose look like part flemish giant. They breed those here to.

I'm afraid of that, as I can't find sellers of just NZ, always mixed with the darned giants. Ideas as to why??

They want bigger rabbits and don't realize that Flemmies have a poor meat to bone ratio and that they tend to mature slowly costing more in feed to get there.<br /><br />__________ Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:04 am __________<br /><br />I would list her as an opal Flemmie in Kintraks, and the buck as well if he has the eye rings, etc.

That's what I'm always thinking! So weird to me when I know nothing good comes out of it, thought maybe I'm missing something if so many make that mix.

LOL, I think its because someone online said how they would make great meat rabbits, and then other people believed them and start doing it. I think its people that are fairly new to rabbits.The ones ive talked to ,they say they say they are raising meat rabbits, some even have several pedegree meat breed does, but they have never processed a rabbit(yet?).They breed these mutts, and then dont eat them, they put them on craigs list for sale.

Just the other day i talked to someone that had three does,,,new zealand, californian, champagne d'argent and then a dang flemish giant buck. they spent a lot of money on their rabbits, all pedigree. they bred three litters of mutts, all for sale. But i think its because of all the bad information on line and the fact that people would like to raise thier own meat, but either cant process them or dont know how.<br /><br />__________ Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:47 am __________<br /><br />Some dont understand that bigger isnt always better?

That must be it.

Lady said they are all pure NZ, she didn't get their papers because she breeds them to eat them. The one buck I had her take back she said was going into her freezer if it decided to be aggressive with her like it was with me.

She let me have one of the bucks, so I paid for 3 rabbits, 1 buck, 2 does and one free buck. Black doe, dark blue/gray doe, red buck and blue buck. She said they are from 2 separate litters.

Waiting on her reply to who is related to whom so I can have that info for Kintraks as well.
Edit; black & red are related.
blue & other blue might be, waiting on reply again.

Latest posts

Back