What are your fall projects?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerbunny

Reaction score
The start of October always feels like Autumn to me :) Lots to do this time of year but rabbit-wise in the next few weeks I need to tattoo four babies, sell two SF, decide if I'm going to a show, breed one or two Silver Fox and knock up my Holland Lops. I'm also thinking of trying a lop colony.

What do you have going on?

Just trying to survive the winter here. I need to find out what the predictions are for the snowy season, then I will know if I have to batten down the hatches. Four litters on the ground, and this Seal do better produce something. I need to be ready for the Ohio Mini Convention.

Fixing a fence, putting up two fences, get the trough heaters working, clear brush off the electric fence and then survive the massive stick bug invasion...

Installing baby savers in the front of the doe cages, though my babies are too big to need them, they'll help support the sagging door openings

Finish bucking, splitting, and stacking firewood

Can't think of much else. Not having a bunch of projects is driving me insane! I guess I need to just settle into spinning and knitting more...

Finish the shed, mainly. That includes finishing the cages and getting them hung, and installing a light fixture and running an electrical cord out to the shed.

I also want to get some stock photos done of the "extras" I offer to add on to a rabbit purchase, and find some weeping willow and try making some rabbit toys out of it.

I will also need to tattoo some kits in the next few weeks.

Finish the new rabbit hutches for the adults, come up with a new system for keeping track of everything, update my Kintraks, figure out when I want to start breeding again, and find the best place to purchase the things I am probably going to need to get/replace before spring.
Not much here either.

Fall time organization of our rabbitry. Would also like to build another large rabbit pen. Our Flemish Giants will take a back seat to focus on Astrex Breedings.

Have to clean out the poultry and waterfowl buildings and get them ready for winter.
Yard clean up almost done. But need to get more wood in.
Calling for possible wet flurries in our area tonight. Boooooooo!

We got the new roof on the rabbit barn over the weekend. That is a huge relief to me. Today I cleaned out trays and mucked out the entire rabbit side down to bare dirt. I gathered up all my tools and misc stuff that was laying around. Then I put down a thick layer of fresh wood shavings. I told dh that I feel much more ready for the winter now.

I still need to clean out the storage side and get it all organized. That is also the side that we butcher in. It will be so nice to be out of the weather this year. We will run a space heater out there when we are butchering.

I still have a hay rack to assemble for one doe cage, some urine guard retro-fitting, and sleeves for our water bottles to do.

I am actually feeling pretty good about where we are right now. We just started rabbits last summer and ended up slapping up a quick roof over the rabbitry when we had a storm coming in. I didn't want to deal with that again. We have already had light frosts (my garden is dying :( ), so I worry about how early we may be dealing with snow.

Quit my job, get the rabbits more established. Get ~30 more holes built, finish enclosing my rabbit building/getting it semi insulated for the winter.

Waiting for my new lutino doe and black satin doe to get ready for breeding.
I need to find out if the paired animals carry a certain trait that runs in the family.

A new hutch for in the colony would be nice, if i can find one.

Building another hutch for the Silver Martens, getting the garage cleaned out to build a rabbit "nursery" so I can breed during the winter months, replace the lids on a hutch, put grow out pens with the main part of the rabbitry, and attend 6 shows now thru December. Not too much.

We've been splitting and stacking wood for weeks now and I'm so sick of it. On the plus side my husband has been throwing all the twigs and scrap pieces into the fire pit so we're going to have a family bonfire this weekend. We have a bunch of birthdays in the family, mine this Friday then my FIL, our daughter, my BIL, my husband...

We need to send 6-10 rabbits and 4-5 chickens to freezer camp. I'm likely going to try to sell my goats, I need to save on feed costs and even if I could afford to keep them I won't be breeding this year because I don't want a bunch of goat kids due the same time my baby is :)

Also need to replace the roof on the second chicken coop, give the whole barn a good scrub down, get the garden beds ready, plant bulbs, can a bunch of pumpkin, hoping my husband gets a deer or two, I'll be tanning hides from the rabbits and anything my husband gets hunting this fall.

Pepperoni":1e4te47d said:
We've been splitting and stacking wood for weeks now and I'm so sick of it.

:yeahthat: I am lucky though, the new woodshed is almost full. The old timers and the almanac are saying we're going to need it, that it's going to be a rough winter. Below average temps and above average snow. We'll see.

As to our other fall projects- we have a final yard clean up to do, the fall garden beds are already planted, we are going to build another grow out cage, and then we'll settle in for our big project- our living room floor. We will be planing, sanding, sealing and putting in a new hardwood floor out of reclaimed barn wood.

Marinea":35e5skve said:
We will be planing, sanding, sealing and putting in a new hardwood floor out of reclaimed barn wood.

Oh, that sounds lovely! Post pictures when you're done please!

Well for planned projects I have to set up my small rabbitry. Also I have fields to plough and hopefully a small field of hay to to cut and bale. Then theres those unexpected non linear projects that will come along.

Barn building was supposed to be my spring project, but with all the tornados and rain in Oklahoma this spring, by the time it settled down enough to get started, it was just too hot.
So, my project before serious cold blows in is to get this barn finished. Here are pics of last weeks progress.

The side framing
20130929_172218.jpg

Wood saw and sawdust
20130929_145155.jpg

Resting place
20130929_145201.jpg

Rabbits waiting patiently for me to provide an actual roof over their heads instead of just a Bradford Pear tree.
20130929_145134.jpg

The barn is 24 ft long and will be 15 ft wide. I plan to have runs of stacking cages down both sides, and if necessary, in the middle. After I get the rabbit barn part finished, I will probably go ahead and add another 4 ft to the 24 ft side and enclose it to keep feed, carry cages, rakes, etc, in.

My husband is disabled and I am doing this alone and by hand. Pray for me.
:angel:

Attachments

• 20130929_145134.jpg
    20130929_145134.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 186
Geez....where to begin?

Patch water leaks in Solar Rabbit-Manure Dryer.
Develop and construct manure-drying cages.
Finish building then hanging manure trays under cages.
Install 'cattle-panel' floor stabilizer's.

De-construct old kennel area.
Reconstruct new grow-out area in old kennel area.
Rework cages bought for grow-out area.
Build and install auto-watering system for grow-out area.
Add 15-20 more does to herd.
Increase aisle-width on one row in second room.

Synchronize breeding schedule more efficiently.
Continue breeding through winter.
Support new breeders in the area.

grumpy.

Back