What are you planting in your garden?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farm Girl

Reaction score
My family splits up the vegetables so each person is in charge of a few things.

I get to do Peppers, Cucumber & Summer squash. We also do Sweet potatoes, tomatoes, beans, winter squash,and some times other stuff.

For the bunnies I'm planning on planting carrots, Sunflowers, Basil, Lemon Balm & Parsley, plus they will get all the weeds in the garden and yard.

My flower garden might, but might not get planted, if it does there will be Bachelors Buttens, Green Zinnias, Sunflowers & others if I have the seeds.

So what is everybunny else planning?

I always grow lots of tomatoes, several kinds of peppers, red potatoes, sweet potatoes, basil, fennel, dill, sage, and sometimes okra. Peas, brasica, and stuff like that don't often do well here because it gets hot too quickly. I usually grow, cucumbers, yellow-neck(?)squash.and zucchini, but the last couple of years the stem borers have wiped me out....

I try gardening... usually fails due to lack of water when I go away for a few days every summer. Although last years "compost pile surprises" gave me quite nice tomatoes until the frost hit.
The kids will have a little contest, who can grow the bigger pumpkins in the bunny waste pile. My iguana needs zuchinni plants to romp in. I had hoped to have pole beans climb up the chain-link fence in the back yard, to act as a privacy fence (so yummy in greenbeans and bacon!). I'll try as many tiny tim tomatoes as I can pot, last years were so yummy. So I guess that's it. Pumpkins, zuchinni, greenbeans, and tomatoes.

I want a bigger vegetable garden this year. We're just finishing the last of the frozen tomatoes, zucchini and green and yellow beans from last year's garden and I'd love to have enough to see me right through to spring. I plant lots of tomatoes, heritage varieties (black brandywine, yum!), traditional beefsteak and Romas for freezing. I like lots of variety. As mentioned, I want lots of zucchini (especially the yellow ones that dehydrate into the most wonderful healthy chips), and green and yellow beans. Picking beans is hard on the back, so I may try some pole beans. I'd like to trellis cucumbers and some of the indeterminate tomatoes. I don't have good luck with root crops, but I'll put in some carrots and beets anyway. Might try some cauliflower and broccoli this year and definitely lots of winter squash. I particularly like butternut and potimarron but may try some others too. A few pumpkins. I'm sure I'm forgetting something... off to peruse a seed catalogue or two. :)

I want to put some raisedbeds in my patio area-- include a few mangel beets for the buns, lots of kitchen herbs, one zuccini, the corn Ralph gave me, Chard, bok choy, turnips, something that I can eat as i harvest!!Oh, one tomato to give away the fruit...

Wouldn't it be fun if we could do a seed swap?<br /><br />__________ Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:07 am __________<br /><br />I really like cucumbers and tomatoes.
Its nice to go out on a summer day, and eat a cool cucumber straight off the vine. :icecream:

This year, our garden is bigger so we'll do more of the same. Corn, pole beans, lots of tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchini, many varieties of peppers, okra, eggplant, onions, salad mix, and spinach. Last year, with the cruddy weather, we didn't do a garden and I still regret it.

We're also going to do more in the fruit garden. Strawberries, more raspberries, more blueberries, a couple of grape arbors, and rhubarb. Hopefully, next year they'll all start bearing some good stuff!

Tomatoes, Peppers (hot and mild), garlic, bunch of herbs, green and wax beans (usually pole varieties), sweet corn, pumpkins, cucumbers, beets, lettuces, cabbage, carrots. I usually plant melons, but have yet to harvest one :( and I haven't planted Zucchini is 3 years...but we always have some. I never know where the plants will show up, but they always do, and I always harvest a few for zucchini bread. (and for the chickens. chickens do love zucchini)

I am planting extra nasturtiums for the rabbits, and sunflowers. Snap peas. And the usual radish/lettuce/beet/carrot/broccoli/corn/squash/tomato type stuff. Going to try cabbage again this year, never have had good luck--too many bugs. Maybe this year between chickens and row covers I can get a good crop.

Any bright ideas for edible ground covers for rabbits? Not grass....In the flower beds. Someting that covered the mud year round would be nice, but it seems that there is a trade off between tough and edible.

What we do is throw them on the ground hard or stomp on them to smash them a bit, then toss the pieces to the chickens. Same with extra squash, gourds, and pumpkins. I used to chop them up or slice them in quarters, but it's just easier to grab the extras out of the garden and smash them up :D

Eco2pia...creeping thyme :) That would be my ground cover of choice.

Anntann":3vfoslsa said:
Eco2pia...creeping thyme :) That would be my ground cover of choice.
I like it, but it seems not to like the damp winters...It is trying to forever creep up onto the pavers out of the beds. Ajuga repetans loves it here, but I don't know that it is edible in quantity. Need to go look that up.

Do the rabbits like thyme? I could just plant culinary thyme and shear it back now and again. I like thyme! :)

Ah, no, Ajuga is listed as rabbit/deer resistant...

ummmmm
garlic, onion, tomatoes, peas, beans, potatoes (Id like to try sweet potatoes if we have amild spring, corn, carrots, parsnips, peppers, herbs of all sorts, sunchokes, asparagus, rhubarb, raspberries, strawberries,zuchinni, cucumber (though they weren't great last year)I feel like I'm missing things ...

Pongo":114xkyat said:
ummmmm
garlic, onion, tomatoes, peas, beans, potatoes (Id like to try sweet potatoes if we have amild spring, corn, carrots, parsnips, peppers, herbs of all sorts, sunchokes, asparagus, rhubarb, raspberries, strawberries,zuchinni, cucumber (though they weren't great last year)I feel like I'm missing things ...
Yeah, the rest of the catalog!!!!

I meant things I grow .. but my garden plan isn't here so I'll go with what I have listed

Pongo-- I ALWAYS want to plant everything thats in the catalog!!! theres never enough room i the grden-- sigh---

Do you ever have the crazy urge to plant things from the catalog that have an awesome picture and discription even though your family DOESN'T LIKE IT?

I can't even grow eggplant here, or most peppers and melons. My family doesn't like eggplant anyway, but they are sooo pretty! :lol:

I roll my eyes and add more berries. Them I can grow.

Last fall...late August... DH planted carrots, parsnips, rutabaga and beets. ( He likes to experiment with the garden) They came on like gangbusters ! We pulled the beets and made pickles with them in mid October. We left the others IN the garden. Today he had a bad case of 'Cabin Fever' and really wanted to get out to the garden....So.... after an hour of blowing a pathway... he got there ! and now fresh carrots and parsnips are in a stew for supper. Smells so Good right now !

We are going to plant Late crops again this fall to leave in the garden. They keep well in the ground, and actually are so much sweeter than the same seeds planted in the spring !

We got this idea from an old How to Homestead type book. They mentioned how certain crops are actually Bi-annual and are naturally Meant to stay in the ground over winter , then produce seed the following year. They stay good to eat until new growth starts in the spring... then the root goes woody. Kinda neat i think... Fresh is so much better than canned or frozen.

Back