wet bum? + baby eating poo Q?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once the baby gets to that stage, you
skysthelimit":37hz97ck said:
Yes any kit that has those symptoms are usually doomed, but so far I have saved every kit that has had this problem since I lost my favorite boy Lewis. However, any kit that has those symptoms is now excluded from my breeding program
Once they get to the stage if diarrhea, they it seems as if they do not thrive as well, even if they do get healthy. I agree, it would not be good, to use that baby as a breeder. It may stress, easier too.<br /><br />__________ Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:49 am __________<br /><br />
MaggieJ":37hz97ck said:
If it is still alive, get hold of the leaves of any of these plants and see if it will eat them:
plantain, shepherd's purse, blackberry, raspberry or strawberry. It may be too late or too severe, but it might be worth a try.
For those of us, city folks. Can we buy some strawberries and use the little leaves, they leave on top of the strawberry? I do not know where I would find the other plants you suggest. Hope she has better luck. Will parsley help?

Piper":2urwyf0o said:
For those of us, city folks. Can we buy some strawberries and use the little leaves, they leave on top of the strawberry? I do not know where I would find the other plants you suggest. Hope she has better luck. Will parsley help?

Just about any vacant lot or park should have plantain and maybe shepherd's purse. You could try the strawberry hulls, but I don't know how effective it would be. I've never heard of parsley being useful for this situation. The plants mentioned are corrective for diarrhea, but they will not cause constipation. If you are out foraging, you might also watch for prickly lettuce. I have not used it in this regard, but I think Ladysown mentioned giving it to young rabbits with digestive problems. It certainly won't harm them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactuca_serriola

It seems that the one thing I lack for that mixture...is salt. Why on earth do we have orange juice, which we get once in a blue moon, but no salt?
Thank you for trying to help, but I think this little one is at it's end. ): Pity.
Still, this is useful information...I'll be better prepared if or when it happens again! ^__^

A lot of supermarkets keep 'fresh' basil, mint, parsley - leaves in their produce section. I still would not know how to recognize the other plants that you have given. It may be that I need to try searching more, or that the Texas summer has dried them up. Will go on a walk a bout, later today. I can hope "Nyctra", has more plant experience, than I do!

I'm pretty sure I have plantain growing around in the forest, but I'm not sure what kind it is...does it matter?
I do know where to get blackberry leaves; is it OK to dry them and use them later?

Maggie, "Nyctra" asked about the mother's poo. Which poo do you give to the babies and how? Is there a sticky?<br /><br />__________ Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:05 am __________<br /><br />I found this link from MissM, about feeding the mother's poo post93716.html#p93716

There are several varieties of plantain. All are safe and effective. I usually mention Plantago major because it is very widespread, easily recognized and often grows in lawns.

Ribwort plantain (narrow leaf plantain) is another common member of a family that contains about 200 members.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantago_lanceolata

--

Piper, I would go with Miss M's advice on this. Since my rabbits are in a colony, I never think much about these things. Here's a good link on rabbit poop.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

Latest posts

Back