Well now I feel bad!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HansenHomestead":dod3zay8 said:
The place that I contacted was called, AnythingWild. It's a local guy that moves animals. I just fed it some tuna, and it went to town! :lol:

Just wanted to be sure. Most people don't realize it. I generally don't have the heart after the fact (I had a neighbor once who called animal control to "rescue" an entire family of raccoon's, mother and group of babies, from a boat she was storing... I didn't have the heart to tell her the truth after it was done) but most assuredly want them to know before they call them out. Most animal control only have permits to transport and/or kill wildlife. Not release it and unless it's one where they're working with a zoo, have nothing to "rehabilitate" it with. You'll find most "rehabbed" wildlife was really picked up by a different agency and not actually animal control. At least in Florida.

MaggieJ":281ikx7f said:
If you like the critter, why not just release it and let it be friendly if it wants to. I can't see a muskrat becoming a major nuisance.

I like this suggestion best. Wild animals should be left wild. It's stressful on you and the animal keeping it like this. Stressful to you because you have to worry about every guest who comes into your home who might see them.

Sali":3s1ligtn said:
MaggieJ":3s1ligtn said:
If you like the critter, why not just release it and let it be friendly if it wants to. I can't see a muskrat becoming a major nuisance.

I like this suggestion best. Wild animals should be left wild. It's stressful on you and the animal keeping it like this. Stressful to you because you have to worry about every guest who comes into your home who might see them.
I think this could work well, too. You could keep his nest cage for him and everything, food, water, but he can come and go as he pleases. That way, you can't be said to have it in captivity. It's just a muskrat that comes around. :)

Google exotic pet keeping laws in (your stats). In Alaska it is illegal to own wild animals native to the area (so moose, but not pigeons, since they're not native). Most places are like that. Sometimes you can get a permit to raise certain species for meat or fur, but not usually for exhibition or as a pet.

Most places it's illegal to keep wild natives and you need a permit for wild nonnatives. Like the hedgehogs I had. To breed more than the odd female you need inspected by the USDA and licensed because they are not considered domesticated. I believe sugar gliders also need a license. That doesn't mean these animal can't be happy as pets. I don't think the "wild animals are only happy wild" is at all true. Many current exotics were wild not so long ago. Foxes and squirrels are some newer pets that have actually been tamed in the past many times from individuals taking care of abandoned or injured wild ones. Some birds like starling or crow also tame to be about as good of pet as commonly kept medium size pet birds. Requirements might be a bit different though. You often can't just put these animals in a cage and entertain them there. They have not been bred toward the typical cage sizes and manufactured diets that former fur/meat animals turned pet have been. They aren't there yet so extra care needs to be taken.

Yes, it is illegal to take a native animal from the wild, technically it can be illegal to possess one even for the purpose of protecting it/helping it, and it is best returned if you aren't interested in finding some legal way to keep it and house it with an enclosure that suits it instead of just a cage. I'm just saying they would be an easy wild animal to tame and we do keep many wild animals happily as pets and breeders with dedication. That's how you eventually get to a domesticated animal.

I agree with Miss M, MaggieJ, and Sali. Let it be as friendly as it likes, leave a bit of food and water out, maybe a little sheltered spot for storms and such, and you can't be accused of keeping it! I know I would let him come by as much as he wanted, he's just so cute! :D

The little muskrat is now with my husband on her way to the huge lake a few miles from here.

UPDATE - My husband just called, and told me that he dropped her off in a huge area of Cattails at the lake. She seemed a little confused at first, but after a light pat on my backside she scurried along into the bushes.

Back