Well now I feel bad!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With having a weasel attack our chickens lately, and coyotes running around in the field right behind our house I have been a little on edge with the wildlife.

Today I was walking around our neighbor calls to me, "Hey Becca! Get over here, there's a critter behind my pile of metal siding!" So I ran to the other side of the fence, and he told me something ran past his dog, and the dog chased it behind the metal siding, I asked him what it was, he said he had no idea it just had a funny looking tail. He lifted the pile of siding, and I jumped behind it to where he said it had ran. All I could see was a rodent like tail sticking out, and it looked like he was trying to squeeze through my fence into my yard. (My chickens were standing right on the other side.) From what I could tell at the time I thought rat! I didn't want it to get my chickens, but I for sure did not want it to come back later, and somehow break into my garage where all my rabbits are. So I found an old broom stick laying on the ground, and gave it a good bop at where I thought it's head would be.

The critter sort of fell to one side, and I grabbed a pair of heavy leather gloves, grabbed it by the tail, and pulled it up to discover a.....

Muskrat! Still alive too, but a little funny after the bop to the head. Upon seeing that it was NOT something that was a great danger to my animals I started to feel bad for bopping it in the first place. Even raising what we do for meat, and fur I still love animals, and it's very rare for me to just whack at something with a stick, but in the moment I was not about to let a potential rat, or weasel get at my animals.

After sometime the muskrat came to, so I scooped it up, and placed in one of our spare metal cages, and he's resting in the garage until I figure out what to do. There's a creek about a mile into the field behind our house, and I am pretty sure that's where it came from. I am thinking about hiking back there, and releasing it.

For now all he's doing is napping in the corner of the cage, and I am sort of surprised at how docile it is. After putting it in the cage I offered him a bowl of water, and happily slurped it up. Then I placed some hay in the cage as well, and he made himself a nice little bed. I think that's my way of trying to apologize for bopping the poor thing.

I know I'd have done the same thing, and probably most of us would have. :grouphug:

Sounds like you didn't really hurt it, just stunned it. If you do take him to the creek, maybe he wouldn't come back and put himself in jeopardy again. :lol:

Don't beat yourself up, Becca. You're not the first one to mistake a muskrat for a Norway rat under circumstances like that. It's unfortunate, but these things happen. Once it has a chance to recover, releasing it where it probably came from gives it its best chance, I think. If it doesn't make it, some other wildlife will have an easy meal.

Don't feel bad. You were acting in the best interests of the animals in your care. In your position, I would have done the same. Well...kinda. I likely would have killed it.

Release it back into the wild and don't be troubled. Know you did the right thing- twice. First in hitting it, and again in releasing it.

I tried to release it 4 times already, lol. It keeps coming back to me. :shock: Like seriously, it runs right up to me feet, stops, and looks up at me, I can even pet it! Weirdest thing ever, haha. With it acting this way I decided to put it back in the cage, and called a local animal control to have it taken, and tested for possible illness. IF there is something wrong with it, I don't want to stick it back in the wild, and possibly spread something further.

I only hope they don't try to charge me for having them take it. It's not like it's a pest, I actually think it's sort of cute. :lol:

Wow! I wonder if it was a pet or someone "rehabbed" it and it imprinted on people?

Pictures? :popcorn:

HansenHomestead":4s17scfv said:
I tried to release it 4 times already, lol. It keeps coming back to me. :shock: Like seriously, it runs right up to me feet, stops, and looks up at me, I can even pet it! Weirdest thing ever, haha.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! :lol: It loves you! :mrgreen:

MamaSheepdog":4s17scfv said:
Wow! I wonder if it was a pet or someone "rehabbed" it and it imprinted on people?

Pictures? :popcorn:

Yaaass! Pictures please!! :D

Well, they are edible, you know? :roll:

Wouldn't surprise me if it's a young male - I had this sort of behaviour from young, wild rabbit bucks.

Hunting rats has some collateral damage now and then, after I shot one I set up my homemade Rat Snap Trap From Hell, a somewhat enlarged, stronger version :cool: of the commercial type, but instead of some vermin I found a very, very flat bird, a great tit, in it. Still feel bad about that, only use live traps outside since.

Preitler":jcowfx8u said:
instead of some vermin I found a very, very flat bird, a great tit, in it.

I once caught a toad in an enclosed mouse snap trap. :(

I really want to keep it! Almost had my husband on the edge of saying yes, he agrees it's awfully cute, and yes really sweet for the time being. When I pet it, it sort of squeaks at me, and gives these little cute grunts!

I attached an album with pictures of the Muskrat!

http://imgur.com/a/e8p6s

Preitler - I did read that their fur is highly priced, and they breed just like rabbits. Was really thinking about muskrats to my herd of animals, :lol:

What a cute fluffy! I used to keep rats as pets, I wonder what kind of a pet this guy would make? Now I wonder if we have them here... lol what do they eat?

I used to have rats too, so a giant version of a rat is probably why I like it so much, haha.

I just Googled, Muskrat Diet, and this is what it gave.

As local plant food becomes scarce, muskrats will feed on small aquatic animals such as insects, fish and amphibians. Freshwater mussels in particular become a diet staple in the wintertime.
<br /><br /> __________ Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:59 pm __________ <br /><br /> Also.

Cattails

Raccoons are also known to den in old Muskrat holes. When Muskrats eat large numbers of cattails (called an "eat-out"), they open up areas of shallow water.

HansenHomestead":a637fv4z said:
I really want to keep it! Almost had my husband on the edge of saying yes, he agrees it's awfully cute, and yes really sweet for the time being. When I pet it, it sort of squeaks at me, and gives these little cute grunts!

I attached an album with pictures of the Muskrat!

http://imgur.com/a/e8p6s

:fainting: THAT THING IS SO CUTE! XD
I would have totally named it already. Which would have made me attached to it. Therefore I would HAVE to keep it. :lol:

They come up out of the rivers and streams when they flood and explore higher ground often around people. They aren't very aggressive overall. I've had to rescue a few my dogs cornered. You can just walk up and grab the things half the time but the other half you might get bit just because of them being stressed by the situation so gloves are still a good idea. Being stunned it probably had time to realize you weren't going to hurt it while it couldn't fight back. They'd probably tame easy. I'm not sure what housing style would work to keep them considering they usually spend so much time in water or if they could eat pellets. Like mentioned they eat water/bog plants and a little seafood. We don't have much in the way of mussels here but we still have lots of muskrats. The dogs and I saw tons of them last spring hiking around a slightly flooding river. Didn't get any pics unfortunately.

You'd be better off contacting your state wildlife department instead of animal control. Usually animal control cannot 'rehab' any wildlife and if they pick it up, it gets euthanized. By "testing" as mentioned, they likely mean to cut the head off afterwards and ship it to have it tested for rabies as a precaution as it had contact with humans and a dog.

Latest posts

Back