Weighing baby rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivory

Reaction score
Although I have a scale for weighing my big rabbits, I need to buy one for weighing kits.

I was wondering what type of scale other people use.

I have a postage scale that I tare with an appropriately sized container then place whatever critter I'm weighing in there.

I just use a 30 lb round dial scale----set a pan on top---zero the scale---then put the kit in it. Works great. Now it you want real close ounces etc-----Walmarts has a 5 lb electronic kitchen scale that should work good. When the kits max out the scale----its time to put them in a pot----LOL.

I use the kitchen scale but I bought at a letter scale at a postal store. Works perfect and maxes out at 5lbs which is butchering time. If I want to weigh an adult I weigh myself and then weigh myself holding the rabbit on a basic digital scale. Some are heavy enough I can set a box on with the rabbit and it will trip the scale.

Thanks for your input.
I'll investigate the Walmart scale that fire-man suggested.

I have a digital kitchen scale from walmart, goes up to 10lbs, cost me 20$ and works great... except I can't reliably weigh kits solo until they are 3 - 4 wks.

Bad Habit":2xzzp0a8 said:
I have a digital kitchen scale from walmart, goes up to 10lbs, cost me 20$ and works great... except I can't reliably weigh kits solo until they are 3 - 4 wks.

I want to be able to weigh kits right from birth, I might have to go with a postal scale.

The scales I have, max out at 5 lb and I just went and weighed a quarter and they work. I bought my scale probably 8 years ago. I just Looked and Wal-marts has some NICE looking scales. Just make sure they read in at least 10ths of a ounce.

I have a postage/food scale from wallymart. It does grams, ounces, pounds, kilo. Has a plastic bowl, had to open several boxes before I found one with an unbroken bowl, but w/e. Mine goes up to 11 lbs, I believe.

I have a Deli Scale from an odd lot in an auction. I can tare, do price per live pound, and tell you how much a rabbit would cost if it was made of Salami.

ChickiesnBunnies":j0d5b847 said:
I have a postage/food scale from wallymart. It does grams, ounces, pounds, kilo. Has a plastic bowl, had to open several boxes before I found one with an unbroken bowl, but w/e. Mine goes up to 11 lbs, I believe.

That sounds like the sort of thing I'm looking for. If I go to town tomorrow I'll try and remember to go to Walmart.

jessie15273":1xoj7o4m said:
I have a Deli Scale from an odd lot in an auction. I can tare, do price per live pound, and tell you how much a rabbit would cost if it was made of Salami.

lol! I want a bunny made of salami... if that were such a thing, I probably WOULD breed meat rabbits.

I forgot to mention, I also have a set of scales I bought off ebay, which are pretty accurate and only cost me like 5$ with shipping. I believe they are meant for illegal narcotics, but they weigh up to 500g, so are useful for the wee littles that sometimes don't register on my kitchen scales.

Back