Weighing baby rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivory

Reaction score
Although I have a scale for weighing my big rabbits, I need to buy one for weighing kits.

I was wondering what type of scale other people use.

I have a postage scale that I tare with an appropriately sized container then place whatever critter I'm weighing in there.

I just use a 30 lb round dial scale----set a pan on top---zero the scale---then put the kit in it. Works great. Now it you want real close ounces etc-----Walmarts has a 5 lb electronic kitchen scale that should work good. When the kits max out the scale----its time to put them in a pot----LOL.

I use the kitchen scale but I bought at a letter scale at a postal store. Works perfect and maxes out at 5lbs which is butchering time. If I want to weigh an adult I weigh myself and then weigh myself holding the rabbit on a basic digital scale. Some are heavy enough I can set a box on with the rabbit and it will trip the scale.

Thanks for your input.
I'll investigate the Walmart scale that fire-man suggested.

I have a digital kitchen scale from walmart, goes up to 10lbs, cost me 20$ and works great... except I can't reliably weigh kits solo until they are 3 - 4 wks.

Bad Habit":2xzzp0a8 said:
I have a digital kitchen scale from walmart, goes up to 10lbs, cost me 20$ and works great... except I can't reliably weigh kits solo until they are 3 - 4 wks.

I want to be able to weigh kits right from birth, I might have to go with a postal scale.

The scales I have, max out at 5 lb and I just went and weighed a quarter and they work. I bought my scale probably 8 years ago. I just Looked and Wal-marts has some NICE looking scales. Just make sure they read in at least 10ths of a ounce.

I have a postage/food scale from wallymart. It does grams, ounces, pounds, kilo. Has a plastic bowl, had to open several boxes before I found one with an unbroken bowl, but w/e. Mine goes up to 11 lbs, I believe.

I have a Deli Scale from an odd lot in an auction. I can tare, do price per live pound, and tell you how much a rabbit would cost if it was made of Salami.

ChickiesnBunnies":j0d5b847 said:
I have a postage/food scale from wallymart. It does grams, ounces, pounds, kilo. Has a plastic bowl, had to open several boxes before I found one with an unbroken bowl, but w/e. Mine goes up to 11 lbs, I believe.

That sounds like the sort of thing I'm looking for. If I go to town tomorrow I'll try and remember to go to Walmart.

jessie15273":1xoj7o4m said:
I have a Deli Scale from an odd lot in an auction. I can tare, do price per live pound, and tell you how much a rabbit would cost if it was made of Salami.

lol! I want a bunny made of salami... if that were such a thing, I probably WOULD breed meat rabbits.

I forgot to mention, I also have a set of scales I bought off ebay, which are pretty accurate and only cost me like 5$ with shipping. I believe they are meant for illegal narcotics, but they weigh up to 500g, so are useful for the wee littles that sometimes don't register on my kitchen scales.

Latest posts

Back