Weaning tips?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxbunny

Reaction score
Not an emergency per se- but my doe lost all but one of her kits (due to scattering them, starving them, and other reasons), and I really need to have the last one to survive weaning 😅. The kit is almost five weeks old, and I’m not going to start weaning until six weeks, but I need to gather as much info as possible before starting the process. Right now, I’m feeding them a pellet that is 18% protein, 16-21% fiber, and 1.1-1.2% calcium. It does not mention the carb total, but I’m estimating around 40%. It is a Timothy based pellet. I also have them on free feed Timothy hay, because the doe does not like alfalfa. Im planning on slowly moving the doe, Cheese, into a different hutch a little at a time, to get her used to the new hutch and Blanket used to not having her. Once I have Blanket by herself, I will let her get used to being alone for a few weeks while feeding her alfalfa hay mixed with the Timothy to get her weight up and get her growing bigger (she’s very small for her age because Cheese neglects her). I’m not planning on switching her to a different feed, I read that can compound weaning stress. Is there anything else I should worry about or know about before I start weaning?

We've always let the doe do the weaning. When the kits are old enough she just quits feeding them. They'll usually be eating the same food she is for a few days before they stop feeding on mum bun.

We've always let the doe do the weaning. When the kits are old enough she just quits feeding them. They'll usually be eating the same food she is for a few days before they stop feeding on mum bun.
We have a litter of NZ x CA meat rabbits at 4.5 weeks old. They don’t seem to be very large though and I’ve noticed them eating a lot of Timothy and not a whole lot of milk. You’d think the milk is more caloric and would make them grow faster… Should we try alfalfa given it has more calories than Timothy? Maybe just more pellets?

We have a litter of NZ x CA meat rabbits at 4.5 weeks old. They don’t seem to be very large though and I’ve noticed them eating a lot of Timothy and not a whole lot of milk. You’d think the milk is more caloric and would make them grow faster… Should we try alfalfa given it has more calories than Timothy? Maybe just more pellets?
I always free feed pellets (with 18% protein) to rabbits under 5 months, pregnant does, and does with litters. A lot of people do say to feed alfalfa to rabbits under 6 months for the extra calcium. I personally have never done this and they seem to grow just fine on the unlimited pellets.

I usually do unlimited pellets until 3 months. Past that, they gain too much fat. I usually wean at 4-5weeks or at least divide the kits. When there are too many together, they don't gain weight as fast.
But it probably depends on your breed. I've got TAMUK NZs and they're practically full grown by 6 months.

Is there a problem with kits getting too fat? I'm just wondering. If I wanted them for breeders or pets, that would make sense, but my primary goal is meat, and I prefer a juicier meat. I've only cooked one, which I did in the crockpot with cream-of... soup. I thought it was a bit dry & chewy.

Latest posts

Back