Water Blister

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnClaire

Reaction score
OK, I am seriously re-evaluating the competency of my vet. I have used him for over 20 years and he has done a great job with keeping my dogs and cats healthy. But. Now I come bringing bunnies in, and I just don't think he is "qualified" to deal with my show rabbits.

Here's the case, I purchased a 6mo EA REW doe from a reputable breeder, and received her last October. She was housed in a standard rabbit cage at the breeders, and at my place. She also has a raised wooden platform in her cage, but I generally find her lounging on the wire.

Back in December, I felt a lump on her belly just below her rib cage. Hauled her to the vet and he opined that it was what was commonly known as a 'water blister' and there was no need to remove it, nor would it endanger her life. He did suggest that laying on the cage might have caused it to form. So, I installed a piece of beadboard as a resting board on the wire, leaving her bathroom corner open. It has been 3 months, and she kindled 5 healthy babies last week. When I gave her the weekly health check this weekend, I noticed that the blister has grown.

Do any of you have experience with this condition, or recommendations? It is a "jelly-like" smooth edged lump or "blister" about the size of a half-dollar now as opposed to the size of a quarter when I first found it.

One of our dogs has gotten something similar under the skin twice. It appeared after she bumped into things and disappeared in about a week. If the lump has been there since December I'd be a bit concerned and ask the vet to test a sample of it.

Yah, looks like I'll be trying out new vets, then ... but, surgery will keep her off the show table, too :(

AnnClaire":2gem4xcr said:
Yah, looks like I'll be trying out new vets, then ... but, surgery will keep her off the show table, too :(

Can you post a pic of it?

Sure, I am pulling nest boxes for the daily check in about an hour ... I'll get a photo of mama's belly, but she is an EA with about an inch of fur :lol: I might need some "creative" lighting as the lump has never been red, hot or otherwise noticable other than feeling it.<br /><br />__________ Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:30 pm __________<br /><br />Yah, photos are not working ... white bunny, too much flash ... will have to try later when DD is up and can help hold bunny :D

The lump itself might keep her off the table if the judge can feel it. I had a dog in for breeding that had one, the owner tried lancing it several times but it just kept coming back.

That is basically what the vet said about the one's on my dog (and the bunny) ... he has a large one on his breast bone, but never has any pain or discomfort from it, and neither does the bunny. I will be moving her to a larger cage next week, and maybe that will help ... right now she is in a 24"x 24" with an 8.5"x11" nest box ... tight quarters for a little while longer even though she has a resting board on top of the nest box, too. Of course, I have the nest boxes inside today to give the does back some "real estate."

Back