vaginal infection? (photos now included)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalicoPrairie

Reaction score
I'm not sure that is the proper term, nor am I sure this is what is going on, but perhaps if I explain it to you all, you will be able to direct me.

The other day, I noticed that Alice (my Jersey Wooly) had some sticky poop on her fur around her anus and genital area. I cleaned her off the best I could and discovered that there was a bit of fecal matter in what looked like the vulva area. (I have to confess that I don't know much about that area of the rabbit, but I am learning.) I removed as much as I could at the time, and left it alone. I have been cleaning her off daily and making observations, but I had this nagging feeling that I needed to look at it again to make sure that there was nothing left in there. Upon observation again today, I noticed that the vulvar area a little crusty, and that there might be some fecal matter a little further into the canal. I don't know if there is an infection, it didn't seem overly warm to the touch, and she didn't seem to be in pain or anything while I was working on her, though she really doesn't like to be on her back.

I'm thinking that I could use a q-tip with neosporin (not the pain relief variety) to clean out the rest, then apply a dab of neosporin to the outer area. Do you think this would be helpful? Is there anything else i need to be looking for? She is acting normally, eating normally, drinking normally, etc.

THanks in advance!

Do you have one of those rubber bulb syringes? I think flushing the area with a warm solution of Betadine and water would be safer than using a cotton swab which may push the feces deeper.

Neosporin should be okay on the outer area, but A & D ointment which is used for diaper rash might be better.

There is also the possibility that she has "vent disease", so if it is possible for you to post pictures that would help in the diagnosis.

Thanks Mama.

I was thinking that about neosporin, that perhaps it might not be ok for internal use. I don't think I have a bulb syringe, but I can get one today along with A&D. Also, is Betadine something I can get at Walmart, or my local feed store, or do i need to get it from the vet?

Let me see if I can get some pictures before I do anything, though. Be back soon.

You can get Betadine at a feed store. Make sure you get the plain one- there is a surgical scrub that is more like a soap. Add it to the water until it looks like tea- the Betadine is more to render the water sterile than anything else.

I would also suggest giving her a little "sanitary trim". If it is feces, hopefully that will solve any future problems. If after you flush her out today the problem recurs, you will know that the substance is coming from the inside.

Ok thanks. I'm planning a trip to the feed store this morning so I can pick up whatever I need. Here are the photos.

These are the three that I got of ver vulvar/vaginal/vent area.
006zp.jpg

003wci.jpg

002iz.jpg

And this one I'm including because I wanted to share what I am cleaning off her every day. I'm wondering if I need to be supplementing her diet at all with other things besides pellets. We have been feeding her 1/2 cup of King's Lifelong Natural feed each day. She drinks up to a half cup of water each day and eats plenty of timothy hay.
001pdd.jpg

Again, thanks in advance.

Does the crusty stuff smell really musky? I think those are the little pockets on either side of her vulva- they are glands. If so, you can clean them out with a cotton swab.

The loose stool is not normal. When you go to the feed store, pick up some Probiotic paste for goats or horses. Give her a bit of it daily until the diarrhea clears up. A pea sized amount should be enough, but more will not hurt her. I would also take her pellets away and give her only old fashioned oatmeal and hay for a few days.

I am not aware of any smell, but I will check that.

Would benebac work for the loose stool?

Thanks so much, Mamasheepdog. I'm really not sure what I would do without your help. :)

CalicoPrairie":29rc30sp said:
I am not aware of any smell, but I will check that.

As the realtors say "Location, location, location!"... her vulva would be in the middle of the two glands, like this \^/ but all close together.

CalicoPrairie":29rc30sp said:
Would benebac work for the loose stool?

Yes. Giving that and putting her on a less concentrated diet (hay and oatmeal) will hopefully clear that up quickly. After a few days of normal poop you can slowly reintroduce her pellets.

There are also greens and weeds that help with diarrhea- the leaves of strawberry, blackberry, and raspberry are good, as well as the weeds shepherds purse and plantain.

Ok. Would organic rolled oats work for the oatmeal? Just dry oats?

So I'm understanding that I must have been looking at one of her glands then. I should probably check both and clean them out and make sure there are no yuckies in there. Also, is it your opinion that she doesn't have an infection then?

Thanks again. :)

CalicoPrairie":1oi3kof5 said:
Would organic rolled oats work for the oatmeal? Just dry oats?

That would be great.

CalicoPrairie":1oi3kof5 said:
So I'm understanding that I must have been looking at one of her glands then. I should probably check both and clean them out and make sure there are no yuckies in there. Also, is it your opinion that she doesn't have an infection then?

Yes, I think it was one of her glands. The other one will probably look about the same. The discharge you found is normal, and sometimes there can be quite a bit of gunk in there. I doubt she has an infection, but it is something you should watch for since if she gets any of the diarrhea in there she could possibly develop one.

Great! I will replace her pellets with oats then.

Yes, I rechecked and found two glands, just like you said---and smelly they are! I cleaned them out a little with a cotton swab. I don't believe she has an infection either--I was on the fence about that in the first place, since the "signs" weren't completely pointing that direction. I had no idea about the glands and how gunky they get, so that's really helpful to know that there isn't anything wrong there.

I was thinking the same thing, though, about the diarrhea. The proximity of the genitals and anus are so close that I worry about that, especially with the diarrhea. I'll move forward and treat with benebac and oats for a few days and see what happens.

Thanks again, so very much. I could just kiss you. Lucky you are over there, huh? :)

CalicoPrairie":3q5xof8q said:
Thanks again, so very much. I could just kiss you. Lucky you are over there, huh? :)

Lol! Well, thank you. :)

You know I have a trio of JW's too? Maybe we can meet at a show someday. There will be one in Bakersfield in January, and that isn't too far from Riverside. My daughter's JW just got her third leg, so is a GC now. :p

I had no idea you had JWs too! :) I would love to meet at a show someday. We won't be at the Bakersfield shows, but do you attend any others, like the Chino shows in June and December? Or Indio or SoCal Fair?

I raise mostly Rex, but recently bought the JW's and now also have a pair of Beverens. My Beveren doe has two legs now too! :D

We just went to the Chino show. It was a three and a half hour drive. The kids liked it though, and are looking forward to going again even though we had to get up so early. :)

I hope to make a So. Cal show at some point, but would probably need to make it an overnight stay since it will be such a long drive. Indio is way too far.

I'll be attending the Lancaster show on March 9th. That is a bit closer to Riverside than Bakersfield- it would be about a two hour drive depending on where in Riverside you are.

We were at the Chino show! Do you have a rabbitry, and were you selling? Where were you guys sitting? We were in the arena, toward the back, but on the other side of the fence from that long raffle table. We were sitting with Alex from Elemental Rabbitry (she raises and sells French Angora, amongst a few other breeds), and Paul and Kevin, who raise and show JWs. Do you know them? Paul and Alex both spin wool and they helped me learn as well. :)<br /><br />__________ Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:10 pm __________<br /><br />And btw, congrats to you on your Beveren legs and to your daughter on her JW being granded! :D

I know Paul and Kevin! My kids were the ones wandering around trying to sell hay and rabbit cookies. We were in the aisle where KW cages was set up.

Queenpup's doe Showoff took BOB in the B show.

Hmm, I don't think I saw you guys. Do you have a pic of your family posted anywhere on the forum? KW has the big truck with all the cages set up on the ground near the burgers right?

I dunno who Queenpup is, but how awesome and what a small world! :D This is so fun. :)

Gotta head out to the feed store for a few, be back a bit later. :)

I just read this...is neosporin safe for rabbits? cause I know its bad for cats and dogs so I thought it would be just as dangerous to rabbits wouldn't it?

CalicoPrairie":38nd2fdv said:
Do you have a pic of your family posted anywhere on the forum?

There is one post that has pics of my daughter... post98397.html

KW has the big truck with all the cages set up on the ground near the burgers right?

Yes. We were at the opposite end.

I dunno who Queenpup is, but how awesome and what a small world!

That is my online name for my daughter. :)

Did you watch the JW judging? I was back and forth between tables with breeds since I had the Rex and Beveren entered, so I missed the A show for the Woolys, but my daughter was the blond girl taking notes. I spoke to a lady later about her and we talked a bit about homeschooling. Was that you?

Showoff is a smoke pearl senior doe and she took BOSB in the A show, BOB in the B show.

__________ Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:43 pm __________

Sinnfox":38nd2fdv said:
I just read this...is neosporin safe for rabbits? cause I know its bad for cats and dogs so I thought it would be just as dangerous to rabbits wouldn't it?

I didn't know Neosporin was unsafe for dogs and cats. I believe other members have used Neosporin on their rabbits. I use horse products like Blu-kote, Vetericyn, Nu-Stock, etc., so have never personally tried Neosporin on them.<br /><br />__________ Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:00 pm __________<br /><br />I just researched Neosporin use in dogs and cats, and it appears that it is safe but that the types with added pain medication should be avoided.

lots of cases with cats and dogs reacting very badly to it...tends to make the wounds worse in most cases...something about the way their immune systems work ~shrug~

Latest posts

Back