Vaccinations

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MamaSheepdog":2lalgv71 said:
My only worry is chicken pox- if not contracted as a youngster, the pox virus can be very dangerous for adults. Unfortunately, since most people vaccinate for it, I was never able to find a child with it to expose my kids to.

Another problem with the fact that children are vaccinated against chicken pox is that in order to have immunity to the shingles virus, adults need to be exposed to children with chicken pox, so we will see a rise in the cases of shingles in the adult population.

On your off topic rant... LOL

My husband is 43 and has never had chicken pox. He's in a real quandary right now on what to do! The chicken pox vaccine has been shown to cause shingles in adults who get the vaccine, and the shingles vaccine is not safe for him to take (I can't remember why.....).

So he's obviously scared. He travels all over the country for work, inspecting facilities and people and interacts with the public as part of his job, and we've been SO SCARED that he's going to get really really sick. Because he's never had the chicken pox, as soon as I was allowed I got my daughter the vaccine. I do not want her to expose him to the virus.

I sure wish he had just had chicken pox as a child. I'd be a lot less worried.

dayna":1hi3oq2s said:
Because he's never had the chicken pox, as soon as I was allowed I got my daughter the vaccine. I do not want her to expose him to the virus.

So jealous of kids these days not having to stay home from school for two weeks with itchy itchies. I still remember how excruciatingly itchy it was and having to wear gloves to stop from scratching off scabs when I was in grade school.

I had the chicken pox THREE TIMES. Each time sucked worse than the last. I was finally titer tested as an adult when hubby had his done just in case he had a mild case and didn't know it, and I should never get it again. Thank goodness. lol

Bumping this thread because of all the buzz on facebook rabbit groups about this vaccine. It definitely seems to be a viable prevention method and in some cases looks like it even suppresses symptoms in already infected/symptomatic rabbits. I ordered a vial and will report my results in a few weeks. :popcorn:

One of the worst pinkeye outbreaks that I ever had in cattle was when the extension agents convinced all of the naïve cattle farmers in the area to use pinkeye vaccine. When you vaccinate for a constantly evolving pathogen and your animals come into contact with un-vaccinated animals they pass off the strain that they were vaccinated with. Then, the unvaccinated ones mutate the strain and give it back to the ones that were vaccinated. Happens every year with the flu vaccine.

The Pasteurella vaccine uses a "dead" culture of the P. multocida bacteria, which stimulates an immune response and antibody production. So vaccinated animals wouldn't be able to infect non-vaccinated animals any more so than non-vaccinated animals infect each other. Other vaccines, like the flu, etc. use live "weakened" viruses, which can indeed mutate, etc.

I'm just putting my 2 cents in, not trying to rile anyone up :)

Yep, a dead vaccine isn't contagious, it is just prompting an immune response so that if the animal is exposed to a live form of pasturella in the future their immune system will kick in and they will not get the disease. They believe that the vaccine will be effective for various strains of pasturella.

The video was interesting and the Dr had a great point. People have been culling rabbits for a hundred years for pasturella and yet pasturella is still here, it hasn't decreased. If your immune sytem has no exposure to a disease then your body has no effective way of fighting it so a majority will die.

I think I am going to order a 20 dose vial and vaccinate the ones I am planning to show, then perhaps some of the breeding stock.

DonnerSurvivor":86pxd2cg said:
Can someone please post a link on were to purchase this vaccine.

Its pan am Labs http://pavlab.com/services/

They don't have a way to order online. The Dr in the video said to either call their number, he usually answers the phone himself, or to use the contact me form on their website.

I haven't watched the video yet, but it would be useful to see how to administer a sub-q injection.

What diseases were they vaccinating against? I know in parts of Europe and in Australia there are vaccines available against myxomatosis amd viral hemorrhagic disease, but I don't think the vaccines are available in North America.

It looks like the video is not available now.

The vaccine is for pasturella, it has passed USDA approval and is for sale. A 20 dose vial is $20, a 50 dose vial is $40 according to the video.

A Pasturella Vaccine would be awesome! I looked up the facebook page on the vaccine and sent a request to join. Since the Pan American Vet Labs is fairly local, I wonder if I could just cruise by there and pick up some of the vaccine. I'll give them a call and see. :)

NO VACCINES FOR ME. I'm breeding to put meat on the table. Like MSD said, I'm into breeding strong immune systems and I don't trust vaccines. There may come a time when you're depending on the vaccine, but, its not available.

They ship the vaccine from Denver so you can't just go pick it up. At least that is where the vaccine I got came from.

I wrote to Bob Glass. He gave me some good info on the vaccine. Instructions on use and the study paperwork. He said to call before coming and I can pick some up. Pretty friendly sounding person. I'm looking forward to meeting him. :)

A vaccine against Pasteurella would be great, particularly for those who show or do not have closed rabbitries. I wonder, however, with so many strains of Pasteurella whether it will be effective against all forms of the disease. It should help some, I guess, sort of like the flu shot for humans.

If a strong immune system was all that was needed along with culling sick rabbits then pasturella should be a rarity instead of a common occurance. I have a book from the early 1900s that says to cull sneezing rabbits. :(

Philothea- did you give it already? Did you do all of them or some?

I am going to order, then vaccinate the adults and the nursing does so the kits have a good immunity. Then I am planning to give the kits their first shot at around 8-10 weeks. I am sort of following how I did puppies for the best immunity against parvo. That is the plan anyway.

Did anyone ask the time frame until immunity? Since it is a dead vaccine I am assuming it will take a couple weeks before there is actually good protection.<br /><br />__________ Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:09 pm __________<br /><br />
MaggieJ":1ver7y95 said:
A vaccine against Pasteurella would be great, particularly for those who show or do not have closed rabbitries. I wonder, however, with so many strains of Pasteurella whether it will be effective against all forms of the disease. It should help some, I guess, sort of like the flu shot for humans.

They believe it will work on all the respiratory forms.

Back