**Updated** Breakout and diseased liver :(

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peach

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
It's been quite a while since I've been on here! I know I'll have to catch up soon. School has taken up a lot of time!

I do have an emergency this morning.

I went out to feed the herd and found my best doe was blowing snot. Without a second thought, I culled her. I opened her up for an autopsy and what I found made my stomach turn. It's actually pretty hard to look at the picture. It freaks me out.

10352792_1568063973419994_3480987842355926114_n.jpg

10308351_1568064160086642_1038936297946197012_n.jpg

10389428_1568064100086648_6319227828533916274_n.jpg

10372248_1568064293419962_8114431600568899552_n.jpg

I had culled out my culls yesterday and found coccidia on the liver of a jr from another litter, and after finding it on occasion, I treated my entire herd yesterday afternoon, and plan to do so for the next 5 days. Now, I'm certainly going to have to pull out all my cages, and power wash, disinfect, and allow the to bake in the sun tomorrow since I have to work today.

What am I looking at? This is a doe that has gone to countless shows,multiple best of breed winner, traveled without skipping a beat, was on her second litter, and just an excellent doe all around. I'm wondering if this outbreak was cause because she was compromised by parasites inside her. She left behind me two kits that are about 7-8 weeks old and looking perfectly fine and in great condition. I'll be separating them from the herd to monitor them.

I don't know what my next move is. What do I treat for? I regularly worm every 4-6 months/ or after shows with the show string with safeguard (last worming was in April). I'm treating currently for coccidia. :cry:

Whoa, Peach! :eek: That is without a doubt the worst liver I have ever seen!

I'll do some searching for you, but meanwhile, bag that liver up and put it in the refrigerator- I think you should have it necropsied to get a confirmed diagnosis.

Thanks guys! I have bagged all the internal organs. The white pieces are her hair, bf was doing the opening up, so he wasn't as neat during the opening process. I'm going to see if I can get the organs sent to UGA... just trying to figure out who to contact.

Sagebrush":3lz6e2xl said:
Are those worms or molting in the liver?

No, it isn't worms- that is called a reticular pattern.

Peach,

the only reference I was able to find thus far is to RHD, but the images of those livers are nowhere near as pale and the pattern is not as severe.

I emailed a large animal vet friend I have and am awaiting his input. I know he had a call in a town about 50 miles away, so it will be a while before he has a chance to respond.

Peach":3lz6e2xl said:
I'm going to see if I can get the organs sent to UGA... just trying to figure out who to contact.

Hope this helps:

http://vet.uga.edu/dlab/glads/necropsy_panels

I called but they said I need to go through a vet first. Downside to this, we aren't in a big agricultural place and our vet apparently doesn't need the money, because he closed today and tomorrow. Before I went to work, I culled a pet quality baby from her litter with the same markings on it's liver, just not as severe. They are eating and drinking great and clearing out the jfeeder, so nothing seemed off because they haven't acted off and in great flesh and condition.

I culled babies from other litters, and nobody else is showing anything on their livers. I think I can isolate the case to Zoe and her offspring. 2 are still alive but in quarintine.

Mom is scared for our dogs and us, and she's doing reading on the web and drawing her own conclusions. I hope this doesn't make or break having rabbits :(

Dood":2kilz9hn said:
Looks like a fatty liver which can be caused by a day or two of not eating.
:yeahthat:
Sick rabbits will go off their feed, so they can have livers that look like this....so sorry you lost her Peach... :(

OneAcreFarm":33pawodh said:
Dood":33pawodh said:
Looks like a fatty liver which can be caused by a day or two of not eating.
:yeahthat:
Sick rabbits will go off their feed, so they can have livers that look like this....so sorry you lost her Peach... :(

Do either of you have links to images of fatty livers? I saw written mention, but could find no images anywhere during my search this morning.

She didn't seem to have a lot of internal fat when I came back later to get a better look at the body. I think we might have our answer. (still going to get the organs checked of the doe!)
hepatic lipidosis may be the problem.

I culled more culls from different litters and mothers and nobody else but the doe and her 1 PQ offspring that I culled had signs of it. I don't know whether to cull the buck and doe that are show quality from the litter. They appear perfectly healthy, bouncy, and attacking their jfeeder with vengeance. Still going to keep them separate

Everyone is on a plan to treat for coccidia. We are on day 2 today. Going to go get more sulmet tomorrow. All cages are going to get a very thorough cleaning tomorrow.

I've been sick to my stomach all day thinking about the herd. I may be a harsh culler, but I would never want any of my animals to know a day of sickness or pain. Nerves are shot. I'm ready to just go to bed and restart with a new day! :lilbunny:

Thank you RT family :grouphug2:

Peach":gs4kgdrz said:
She didn't seem to have a lot of internal fat when I came back later to get a better look at the body. I think we might have our answer. (still going to get the organs checked of the doe!)
hepatic lipidosis may be the problem.

I culled more culls from different litters and mothers and nobody else but the doe and her 1 PQ offspring that I culled had signs of it. I don't know whether to cull the buck and doe that are show quality from the litter. They appear perfectly healthy, bouncy, and attacking their jfeeder with vengeance. Still going to keep them separate

Everyone is on a plan to treat for coccidia. We are on day 2 today. Going to go get more sulmet tomorrow. All cages are going to get a very thorough cleaning tomorrow.

I've been sick to my stomach all day thinking about the herd. I may be a harsh culler, but I would never want any of my animals to know a day of sickness or pain. Nerves are shot. I'm ready to just go to bed and restart with a new day! :lilbunny:

Thank you RT family :grouphug2:

I hear you, hon...{{{hugs}}} Get some rest, it will be better in the morning.

Well, I got a reply from the vet- he wasn't sure but he said it "kinda looks like fatty liver"... so, did she go off feed at all?

I hope everyone else continues in good health. :clover:

I spoke with the GA state vet, and we ruled out RHD ( My herd would be non-exsistant by now/ Haven't been to a show in 5-6 months)

However, I do think the Sulmet created a response to underlying issue, which the vet believed as well. I did have an issue in fungal pneumonia last summer with litters in the box, snotting while 5-10 days in because the hay I was using was molding in the box and getting into their lungs. They were immediately terminally culled. I ceased using hay at all during the rainy/humid months and never have had an issue again. I'll only give hay in the winter because it's just to cold to go without.

I feel like I may have been seeing something similar with her.

75988_1510560562503669_836554520_n.jpg
This was her on a litter. She went on to win BOB at a specialty a few days after this picture was taken.

I took this picture yesterday of her daughter before I went to work. She has a brother in quarantine with her that looks wonderful as well. Nothing indicating poor health. They are friendly, eating great,drinking great...
10341541_882588921768287_6851059789695576957_n.jpg

Most of my does end up looking shabby and needing time to turn around, but Zoe bounced back, and she just wasn't looking show ready this time around. For a doe that was born and raised here, I should of been more observant, but I guess it's better to know than not know...

My entire herd was treated with Sulmet, and hasn't triggered anything else. So far,so good. However, I will be doing a preventative plan with corid in the future.

I do think the bag of feed I fed a week prior probably wasn't the best choice to feed. It had a few clumps here and there, but I didn't think it was a substantial amount to be a concern. Feel like that may have played a part :(

Latest posts

Back