Update Pics on Rabbit Shed - gutters installed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneAcreFarm

Reaction score
We got the gutters installed on the left side of the shed. Here is a full length shot showing the two pieces slanted toward the middle.
IMG00030-20110331-1930.jpg

Here is a close up of the slant board emptying into the gutter.
IMG00032-20110331-1931.jpg

I just need to elevate the angle of the slant board a bit and it will be perfect. All the urine runs down to the gutter and into the bucket. The manure mostly stays in the gutter and I use a broom for any poops left on the slant board and a plastic scraper (like you would use for spackle) to push it all down the gutter and into the bucket. Works remarkably well, actually! :)

Excellent & well thought out set-up! Looks like its working great for ya, too!

Where did ya find those top-fill bottles?

Pickles":1vlixpzu said:
Excellent & well thought out set-up! Looks like its working great for ya, too!

Where did ya find those top-fill bottles?

Thank you, I spent quite a while just "figuring" before we even started...Miss M's setup was an inspiration to me!

I got the bottles at Klubertanz.com

I like that Idea Shannon.
It gives me something to think about
since I am planning on making my rabbitry life easier.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Actually, it IS pretty easy, once you get it built. It only takes a couple of minutes to sweep the boards, empty the gutter and rinse it all. Once it is done draining, I take the whole bucket and dump it on the compost pile.

Very good job! I have a couple of cages set up that way and it's a lot easier than emptying trays. I recently added a piece of hardware cloth at the bottom of the slant boards to catch the manure balls just before they drop into the gutter, then I scoop them up with a small garden spade and put them into a pail for the worm bins. The urine runs off by itself into a container for disposal. That way the poo balls stay dry and don't smell. Also, I used a piece of 3" PVC pipe cut in half. It's stronger and you don't need the supports like the gutter, allowing me to do one straight scrape to the end without going under those little supports.

Nice shed! It gives me some ideas.

Truckinguy":2o3l0xv8 said:
Very good job! I have a couple of cages set up that way and it's a lot easier than emptying trays. I recently added a piece of hardware cloth at the bottom of the slant boards to catch the manure balls just before they drop into the gutter, then I scoop them up with a small garden spade and put them into a pail for the worm bins. The urine runs off by itself into a container for disposal. That way the poo balls stay dry and don't smell. Also, I used a piece of 3" PVC pipe cut in half. It's stronger and you don't need the supports like the gutter, allowing me to do one straight scrape to the end without going under those little supports.

Nice shed! It gives me some ideas.

Yes, I wish the gutter supports did not go over the top, I think that there are some others that go completely underneath, gonna go to the hardware store and look for them. The manure tends to stay in the gutter and the urine runs into the bucket, so I can dump it first if I want, and then the manure stays pretty dry. That hardware cloth sounds like a good idea though...Thanks!

Very nice, Shannon! You have a nice amount of space between your cages and the chutes, which is really great! i didn't have the space to do that, so sweeping is not quite as easy. Some day, I'd love to have a single row of cages like you do! :)

The manure stays mostly on the chutes for me, too. It does get soggy if they pee in the same place they poo, and it sits for a few days. :roll:

pastelsummer":1mnge1qo said:
I WANT THOSE CAGES!!!!!
:D Yeah, they are pretty cool. If you want the specs and such, I can send them. I really like the slant top and the doors that open up over the top. Just made cage # 6 this weekend to go next to Sonic. It with be a growout cage probably. Hubby is really taken to the rabbits, he is already talking about building another outdoor setup so we can have six more cages....go figure...he was the one that wasn't too sure about the whole rabbit thing! :lol:<br /><br />__________ Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:45 am __________<br /><br />
Miss M":1mnge1qo said:
Very nice, Shannon! You have a nice amount of space between your cages and the chutes, which is really great! i didn't have the space to do that, so sweeping is not quite as easy. Some day, I'd love to have a single row of cages like you do! :)

The manure stays mostly on the chutes for me, too. It does get soggy if they pee in the same place they poo, and it sits for a few days. :roll:

I would have liked a bit more room too, but you work with what you have! :D We will probably be building something like yours for an outdoor setup soon. Your pic was the one I returned to again and again for the gutter set up. Thanks for the great idea!

Had to show this set-up to hubby, so he could see your gutter set ups. Contemplating doing this with some used cages we might buy.

Can you send the specs for your cages to me as well please? :D

This will give you a 36" wide by 30" deep doe cage. Adjust accordingly for other sizes:

1" x 1/2" by 36" 14g GAW wire cut to 30" for the floor.

The sides and back, made from 2" x 1" x 18" with babysaver wire at the one edge, are cut 96" and bent at 30" and 66". This gives a 30" side, a 36" back and another 30" side.

The front wire is one piece, 2" x 1" x 24" cut to 36" length, bent at an angle with 14" being on the slant and 10" the very front. Slant front has a hole cut out of 10"x16".

The top is 2" x 1" x 24", cut to 36" length and trimmed to 18" wide.

The doors then are 14' long by 20" wide, hinged at the topseam, so they can lay back over the pen, and covering the hole and overlapping the sides of the opening, fastened with a spring fastener on the edge toward you.

Fabulous job Shannon...what did you use to cut the plastic slant boards...I shall have to steal your idea and use it in my place...
Also, somoene mentioned using PVC pipe...how was that cut...every way I can think of seems dangerous..

Latest posts

Back