Update on Pregnant doe w/ bloody discharge

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bailey is two years old. This is her 5th litter. She's always been on time and no problems - excellent nest builder and mother. My records show she's only lost one kit - has fostered several others.

So she's due on the 22nd. Yesterday, after cleaning up under the pens, I go back in to find there's a large puddle of blood under her pen. What I'd normally see if she'd given birth. So I think maybe I wrote my dates down wrong (as I did have another doe due yesterday). I clean that up and put a nest box in her pen. I added a bowl of water to ensure she had fluids. I keep checking on her as I do other chores and nothing happens. About two hours later, there's another large discharge of blood. Again, nothing else is going on. She's not pulling fur or building a nest - just stretched out and chilling like it's any other day.

Here we are the next day and she's acting and eating normally. It's been over 30 hours and she hasn't delivered or aborted the litter. She's still big as a house.

My plan is to let Nature take it's course. (As an older male, I've been satisfied going through life letting the mystery of birth remain a mystery! Remember the days when the father waited out in the hall for the doctor to come out and tell us if it's a boy or a girl - and then we handed out cigars - and the doctor smoked one with us! Honestly! That used to happen!)

Anyway, I've never seen this before. Anybody out there have a similar experience? Please advise.

SuburbanHomesteader":2f7p2rhn said:
No, it was blood, not urine.

Bailey's still doing fine. We'll know by mid-week if there's been any damage done. Kits are due the 22nd.

Figured I would ask, just in case (it really had me freaked out when I saw it in my doe!)... hopefully her litter will come successfully and without issue!

It might be a miscarriage. Is it possible she is cleaning the evidence up before you see it? Keep the nest box in. It is possible for a doe to miscarry one or several kits and then still have live kits when they are due.

I hope she is ok and has some live kits for you.

If she delivered anything, she cleaned it all up very quickly and very thoroughly. There was no sign of anything on the floor of the pen - just underneath it on the ground. I even checked all the adjacent rabbits to see if they were okay.

All this took place while I was in the bunny barn doing chores. I made it a point to keep an eye on her all morning and then after chores were done, checked frequently during the day. My original thoughts were that she was gonna lose her litter but, after that second release of blood, nothing else.

The nest box will stay in for several more days as her actual due-date is Tuesday. She's still big as a house and acting and eating and drinking normally.

Just thought it very odd. In hundreds of litters over many years, I've only seen that much blood when a doe has actually given birth.

God willing, she'll deliver another litter in a few days and all will be well.

This is a new one for me- I have never seen anything like that either.

I'm glad to hear that she is doing fine otherwise. Hope you still get a live litter out of her. :clover:

It is supposed to be a cigar for each newborn! Don't cheap out on us!

:cigar: :cigar: :cigar: :cigar: :cigar: :cigar: :cigar: :cigar: :cigar:

*Cough-cough! Hack-hack!* Ack! Someone get the fire extinguisher!!!

SuburbanHomesteader":2823h1ly said:
You know, I have no idea what new fathers hand out these days!

I'm sure that cigars are no longer PC. Oh well...

:cigar:

I'd take one of those bubble gum cigars!
MamaSheepdog":2823h1ly said:
It is supposed to be a cigar for each newborn! Don't cheap out on us!

:cigar: :cigar: :cigar: :cigar: :cigar: :cigar: :cigar: :cigar: :cigar:

*Cough-cough! Hack-hack!* Ack! Someone get the fire extinguisher!!!

Ooooo, or you could give us each one of those little boxes of candy cigarettes!! Although those aren't politically correct.either (and might not be around any more...)

Latest posts

Back