Update from College (SO picture heavy!)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Syberchick70":vstbb1h4 said:
I think they're attacking the wrong forum.... we've had pages and pages of spammers flooding LopRabbitsUSA. :p

Finally had to set ip ban ranges on the cpanel level.
We have done this here, too. :) Once you get them all in place, you get the minimal spam that we get here, I suppose.

If you want, you can PM David, or I can look back in the Mod forum to find out some of what we banned. I don't remember what it all was.

JenerationX":vstbb1h4 said:
Bring em on.....

I have never raised an animal, killed, and eaten it. I don't think I could personally do it.... at least not unless I had to put down an animal that was suffering, and even then, I'd probably have a hard time with it. That being said, I do recognize that people have and will continue to eat meat for thousands of years and have no issue with someone, somewhere dispatching and butchering livestock..... as long as it's done humanely. I wish that every single piece of meat I eat was owned, cared for, dispatched, butchered, and packed for me with as much compassion as the meat rabbit folks on this board. Butchering any animal can be carried out in an evil, putrid, and yes, stupid manner, but if anyone thinks that's what's going on among members here, they're barking up the wrong tree in a forest on another friggin planet.
:lol:

And this is one BIG reason this is such a great forum. We all work together to raise our rabbits well, no matter what we are raising rabbits for. The members who have pet rabbits work with those who have meat rabbits, and so on. Some of our pet breeders have found themselves raising meat rabbits, and meat breeders end up with house bunnies. And we all help each other and respect each other. :D

Miss M":i89jrwb7 said:
Just to remind everyone, there is a REPORT button at the top right of every post. PMing one or all of the Admins and Mods to try to grab attention faster would be extremely helpful in addition to reporting. Also, posting in the chatbox is surprisingly effective, as especially MSD and I have banned a lot of spammers from notifications there.

Hopefully, we won't have the ARA influx. But if we do, we're ready. We on this forum all know what a unique and wonderful slice of internet we have here, and I know that all of you are just as ready to defend it as we Mods and Admins are.

This is 100% spot on, but I'd like to add one thing. Please do not engage any ARAs or troll accounts in arguments or flaming. It will help us contain things much more quickly and cleanly if everyone can bite their tongue a bit and report them to us, and/or PM us. These types want to get a reaction, and want to turn boards like ours into nasty drama scenes. By not biting, it both frustrates them and keeps the board clean.

This hasn't been a big issue yet, which I'm very thankful for. I know many of us feel very strongly about the types of posts these kinds of people make, myself included, and I know it can be hard to resist engaging them. We just need to do our best. For our part as moderators and admins, we are always staying vigilant and are ready to stop and clean up any messes that occur.

Syberchick70":i89jrwb7 said:
I think they're attacking the wrong forum.... we've had pages and pages of spammers flooding LopRabbitsUSA. :p

Finally had to set ip ban ranges on the cpanel level.

If you have access to the firewall your server is using (such as through WHM or with ssh), you can easily block whole countries. I've found that on most sites it reduces spam by about 80% to block China, Russia, Pakistan, and perhaps a few others depending on the type of content and the spammers it attracts. If you don't have access to this, you can do the same thing via htaccess files, using sites like this one, although you should periodically update the list as IPs do migrate to some extent. Depending which forum script you're using, you might want to look into plugins/MODs that block proxy usage as well, though this can also interfere with legitimate users who prefer to use a proxy.

MidnightCoder":2e2s0h4n said:
If you have access to the firewall your server is using (such as through WHM or with ssh), you can easily block whole countries. I've found that on most sites it reduces spam by about 80% to block China, Russia, Pakistan, and perhaps a few others depending on the type of content and the spammers it attracts. If you don't have access to this, you can do the same thing via htaccess files, using sites like this one, although you should periodically update the list as IPs do migrate to some extent. Depending which forum script you're using, you might want to look into plugins/MODs that block proxy usage as well, though this can also interfere with legitimate users who prefer to use a proxy.

I can block ips and ranges of ips from the cpanel. This seems to have put an end to our pages of error logs. I would like to block access from those countries, but I'm not sure what the ip ranges to block are. After all, the site is for US lop enthusiasts. I mean, I have no problem with other countries, but there are other forums available for that. I don't want to block Canada, they have the same breed classifications we do, I believe.

MaggieJ":2df25xxs said:
The member who registered as BunBun, Cute & Sweet sent an over-the-top email to the administration at RabbitTallk about the warning given to her by MamaSheepdog.

As a result, we have sent her to Freezer Camp.

:twilightzone: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thank You

Back