Uh oh!! Plastic ingested!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoosterMania

Reaction score
It's in the low 90's today so I put a frozen water jug in with each of my rabbits. I just noticed that my NZR buck has chewed up some of the label on his. I suspect he probably ingested some of it. Is this gonna be a problem or will it just pass? :eek:

Yea my rabbits haven't been too bad about the labels but I went to put some in the chinchilla cages and they immediately started eating it. I had to go back through them all and remove the label. So far chewed labels has not harmed rabbit or chinchilla.

We did have a member lose a rabbit by doing this. If he only ate small strips he will be okay.

Problems occur when they eat a large piece that wont pass through the pyloric valve (opening from stomach to intestine) and it blocks the opening.

You might want to give him a couple of ccs of mineral oil by mouth to try to lubricate it just in case.

I hope he doesn't have any problems! :clover:

By the way, I edited your title. Please be sure to state the subject in your title, especially in emergency situations. Not only will it get more attention from our members while the problem is ongoing, it will also show up in the search function if others have the same issue in the future. Thanks!

I had a rabbit work over the parts of a label I couldn't get off. I've had them chew up the bottle, one doe was eating her litter box, another doe ate a bunch of a little bowl. Just little nibbles, so it all passed through.

I've had to switch what I put in their cages. I used to use plastic gallon milk jugs but once they realized they could bite into them they started chewing them up. I switched to 2-liter soda bottles because they're rounder and thicker but soon the rabbits caught on to that too. I ended up using large, rectangular tupperware-type containers. I freeze them and the next day I pop the brick of ice out of the plastic and put it on the wire in the cage. There's nothing to chew and I have my container back immediately so it can be frozen again. They fit better in the freezer too.

Latest posts

Back