Tweaking feeding plan...input please

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frecs

Reaction score
Hi ya'll,

I've not yet weaned the buns off pellets. They've been getting a morning feeding of pellets, an evening feeding of sprouted grains/fodder, and an evening dose of fresh forage. They also get the rare treat of a slice of tangerine or banana peel or banana slice with peel. Oh, an hay (Coastal Bermuda) which they don't seem to eat much of.

Rabbit pellets are getting more and more expensive (both in cost per bag and number of bags I need to feed my growing herd).

1. I just checked the feed mill's website and they sell alfalfa pellets and alfalfa cubes. I will check to see how much that would cost in comparison to rabbit pellets. Since I can't get alfalfa hay at a reasonable price, I'm thinking this would replace the pellets for protein until I get the mulberry trees up (will take a few years for that project).
2. had some issues with my fodder with the onset of summer heat/humidity but I think I have that worked out. The mix is more heavy on oats than wheat at this point with flax seed tossed in at times. Should I continue the BOSS in the mix in summer? May feed most as 3 day sprouts rather than 7 day fodder to avoid mold.
3. grass feed blocks: learned about making feed blocks from lawn clippings by mixing the clippings with a bit of water and molasses. I'm about to embark on trying this. These are not intended for storage of feed -- they are fed as no more than 2 days old. I'm wanting to try this because my rabbits are quite picky about what they will and will not eat of what I pick for them. This has been an issue in my trying to transition off of pellets....their reluctance to eat more forage.
4. I've not yet venture to approach produce managers at supermarkets to see if they would let me take their culled produce (both for chickens and rabbits). Has anyone done this? Any concerns with this? (Obviously, the "fuzzy" produce would go to the chickens while the better stuff would go to the rabbits.)

Okay -- fire away -- what you think?

Latest posts

Back