Tree of Heaven (Ailanthus altissima)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alforddm

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone tried feeding this? It seems goats are often used to control it?

Biological Control
Grazing
Tree-of-heaven usually has low palatability for grazers;
however, livestock (cattle, sheep, and goats) and deer will
consume it during certain times of the year under specific
circumstances. Goats will eat leaves and bark. Deer will
browse leaves during the summer—especially in shady,
forested areas. Under heavy grazing pressure, livestock
will remove new suckers and sprouts

I was wondering about it too....it grows everywhere here! It does have a pretty foul smell, though.

I call these "Cancer Trees" ... cutting them down only makes them spread. They even grew in my basement because the roots spread out only a few feet under ground. Shoots pop up from the roots everywhere. You have to dig them up to get rid of them.
My old neighbor had a large tree that kept invading my yard ~ I had to dig a 3 foot trench along my fence and pour industrial poision to stop the roots from coming over.

I would not feed these to my rabbits. They are toxic and can even give you a rash if you don't wear gloves getting rid of them.

I saw one in a nursey once and the lady said no one wants to buy it... I told her about these lil devils and got the "ahhh..." from her, lol.

Can you tell? I really hate these things! They over take a yard very quickly. And when I had a goat, she wouldn't even touch them.

ya they grow in big 'clumps' here and are a total nuisance. they stink. I have never seen or seen evidence of goats or deer eating any part of it at any time of year. only thing its good for is there is tons of it and easily chopped down by a kid with a hatchet for makin forts!

Latest posts

Back