Treating sore hocks?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiemarangi

Reaction score
I caught my little guy's sore hocks pretty early because I check everyone weekly. He makes an absolute pee mess all over himself and his cage so I assume his feet got wet and it ruined his protective fur. Does anyone have tips for treating sore hocks? He's on galvanized wire floor for rabbits and none of the others have ever had a problem, I'm pretty sure it's because of his hygiene. I've put him in a special 'cage' with carpet and a litter box for now while I treat him. I have antimicrobial wound spray, iodine tincture, neosporin, and manuka honey ointment. Am I missing anything else? Does anyone know when it's time to put him back on wire? I'm going to find a tile to put in there so he doesn't have to be on it all the time, and I'm assuming constant cleaning will help. He's a 3 pound dwarf hotot rabbit so they're not prone to this, I think he's just a nasty boy (lol). Haven't dealt with this before so interested in hearing about others' experiences. :)

Why is he peeing all over himself in the first place? Bladder problem or some form of territorial marking or just no don't soil your nest instinct?
Look for those plastic with slots tiles for him instead of wire maybe (so get enough of them to cover the wire floor with, here such tiles exist that can bear weight, they are the ones with an edge/frame, so no cutting them to size). That is easier to clean and more surface area for support while still letting waste fall through.
Keeping things dry is important, cleaning can keep the skin wet and soften/weaken the skin so it won't heal.

Usually i'd say sudocreme (for diaper rash in baby's) for such skin problems, but between grooming and the ground contact that won't work.

I don't remember what it's called but we always had a ointment that we would put on their feet whenever they got sore hocks
It'd help to put something in his cage for him to stand on off the wire, though unless it's a common thing then they don't necessarily need it long term

We had a doe that developed sore feet, we used the plastic mats described above and covered the rest of the cage in a layer of hay we cleaned out every day and replaced. It took some time but she healed completely and her hair grew back on her feet. The plastic resting mats with loop holes in them are readily available online at any of the major rabbit supply sites. We keep several in her cage now. Check neosporin to make sure safe for the rabbit to ingest. And research carpet as the main floor as it can be course and cause issues too (I've read anyway). Hope all is well very soon with those sore feet!

Thanks you guys! He's the worst territorial/horny sprayer I have and he will spray his urine deflectors and then back himself into them and get it all over himself. He's done this since reaching sexual maturity and has no other issues so I don't think it's a health issue.

We had a doe that developed sore feet, we used the plastic mats described above and covered the rest of the cage in a layer of hay we cleaned out every day and replaced. It took some time but she healed completely and her hair grew back on her feet. The plastic resting mats with loop holes in them are readily available online at any of the major rabbit supply sites. We keep several in her cage now. Check neosporin to make sure safe for the rabbit to ingest. And research carpet as the main floor as it can be course and cause issues too (I've read anyway). Hope all is well very soon with those sore feet!

Thank you. He had a plastic mat with holes but I'm wondering if it wasn't good enough or if too much of it was over the spot where he likes to pee and it just kept getting too wet. He's doing much better now that I'm babying him and checking him every day. I've been told by quite a few people neosporin is fine for them to ingest in small amounts and he doesn't seem interested in licking it off anyway which is good. Going to go hunting for a better plastic mat for him tomorrow. I'll try hay too!

if you have urine guards in his cage, I suggest you take them out and put protection on the outside of the cage to protect other bunnies from his mess. Urine guards can lead to urine scald in out areas with particularly messy buns.

if you have urine guards in his cage, I suggest you take them out and put protection on the outside of the cage to protect other bunnies from his mess. Urine guards can lead to urine scald in out areas with particularly messy buns.
That's a really good idea, thank you. They all have their own guards so it should be fine if I take his off.

How long does it take to heal sore hocks? what is the best way to heal sore hocks quick? and what is considered sore hocks? I'm going to a show new year, and he can't have sore hocks.

Latest posts

Back