transport quarantine question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nivyn

Reaction score
I am thinking very hard about going to the Perry show in Ga. to see if I can get at least a pair if not a trio or more of SF's. I really didn't want to shock the rabbit(s) with a new owner, new place, and on top of that, a 6-7 hour drive, but with how hard it is to find them I really don't have much choice. My big question is, let's say I can get 3 rabbits. How is it going to be possible to quarantine them in a 7 hour car ride home? Or am I just overreacting? I am figuring on the worst and thinking of getting 3 rabbits from three different breeders.

It is better in my opinion to get related stock from one breeder so you have a limited gene pool. If you get three different lines of rabbits, you are going to have a really mixed deck of genes to deal with, which will make for very unpredictable results in your herd.

If you do get them from different sources, you could cover the individual cages with a cotton sheet to minimize airborne transmission of disease.

MamaSheepdog":14oeziqh said:
If you do get them from different sources, you could cover the individual cages with a cotton sheet to minimize airborne transmission of disease.
My thinking exactly-- and with my small area right now-- I would consider doing the same as a quarantine measure here.

Latest posts

Back