too good to be true?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SterlingSatin

Reaction score
so, i found an article about processing and selling meat in my state, Indiana:
http://www.in.gov/boah/files/slghtr_LG-3-99.pdf
it's published by BOAH, which is the organization that provides state licenses for processing facilities. i read through to the second page, and apparently "farm-raised rabbits" do not qualify as livestock and are therefore exempt from all licenses and regulations. that means i can process my rabbits (or get them processed ANYWHERE) and sell (for cash) to ANYONE? am i reading that right? i always thought they had to be processed at a licensed processing facility in order to sell to the general public. anyone know if this is right?

Animals not defined as livestock or poultry under state or federal law are not subject to inspection
Livestock, for the purposes of the Indiana meat inspection laws, includes cattle, sheep, swine,goats, bison, farm-raised cervidae (deer, elk, reindeer), horses, mules, and other equine. Poultry inspection rules apply to chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese and ratites (emu, ostrich). IC 15-17-2-47
I dont see rabbit so I think you are good.

Looks that way to me, in Indiana at least. I was told that I would have to be USDA inspected if I SOLD rabbit meat here (by a butcher shop which will process deer, so maybe he was just protecting his interests), but I gathered that was not a daily thing, more like an inspection prior to licensing, with random inspections 2-3 times a year. He doesn't slaughter, so my hopes of a local meat market kind of went fleh, as I am able to do all the chopping and skinning stuff, just not looking forward to that first slaughter, I am paranoid I will botch it and the rabbit will scream :(

I live in FL and have been told by other rabbit growers that you do need them processed in a USDA inspected facility. However, at our local farmers market, I've seen plenty of goat, bison, fish, cheese and other products being sold as 'for animal use only.' I actually haven't seen any rabbit, which I find surprising. Any rate, if there's a will (and a market), there's always a way.

Interesting that they specifically ban *giving* home-processed meat away. "The owner may use them for his/her nonpaying guests and employees, but may not transfer (i.e., sell, donate, give) any product to another person." [Not applicable to rabbits, it's in the paragraph prior to the exemption.]

Really? I can't imagine how they can possibly enforce that!

I'm somewhat concerned that meat rabbits aren't defined as livestock. If they are defined as pets in the statutes, you could fall under the dog and cat breeders regulations with required licenses and limits.

Georgia is similar except that they have a vague catch-all statement that processing has to be done in a "sanitary facility". Of course to them that probably means an enclosed room full of stainless steel... to me it means outside on a table with a hose. :)

-Wendy

Up here, if I have an inspection tag on the carcass from a packing plant I can sell my meat at the farmers market or to restaurants

I would check with your states extension office.

There is always some loop holes or fine print that they DONT print.

Not to scare you off, but best to double check and be safe than sorry.
It will always be the little guy to get hurt, and ya never know when someone might even stab you in the back (figure of speech)

Im in PA and I have checked and there is too much jargon worded info.
I decided if I ever get that far, I will be contacting many, many people and offices.

added: Also info & laws are updated constantly, but not always updated on info we read.

nicnmike":3idmrzao said:
I live in FL and have been told by other rabbit growers that you do need them processed in a USDA inspected facility. However, at our local farmers market, I've seen plenty of goat, bison, fish, cheese and other products being sold as 'for animal use only.' I actually haven't seen any rabbit, which I find surprising. Any rate, if there's a will (and a market), there's always a way.
USDA inspection of rabbits is not mandatory, it is normally VOLUNTARY. However, it looks as if the State of Florida has chosen to make it mandatory in their state.....

http://smallfarms.ifas.ufl.edu/floridas ... rbaugh.pdf

OneAcreFarm":kppinzhs said:
nicnmike":kppinzhs said:
USDA inspection of rabbits is not mandatory, it is normally VOLUNTARY. However, it looks as if the State of Florida has chosen to make it mandatory in their state.....

http://smallfarms.ifas.ufl.edu/floridas ... rbaugh.pdf

The processing facility needs to be inspected, not the meat.

nicnmike":3p5y1sm1 said:
The processing facility needs to be inspected, not the meat.
Yes, that is what I meant, I did not make myself clear. Having rabbits processed in a USDA inspected facility is not currently mandatory by the USDA itself. In Texas, you only need to have a Poultry Exemption Inspection to be able to process and sell from your farm.

My understanding is that USDA inspected facilities have a USDA inspector onsite to phyically inspect the facilities and the meat.

A 4H leader here sold the bunnies live then if the people want them butchered he offered too butcher them for free.i have no idea what the laws actually are.

Back