To Give Credit....Or Not.....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I read those links to remove the yellow stains off the fur.

I think I'll try the peroxide first .. would be ok to just do a peroxide dip ? .. like fill a small bucket of peroxide diluted with some water and just dip the rabbit up to it's neck ?

Piper":216p0lgu said:
MamaSheepdog":216p0lgu said:
If you get Vetericin or Blu-kote,
aren't those the ones that leave the stain?

Only the Blu-Kote. But it fades from fur after a couple of days. I don't know how long it would stick to the cage wire.

MKirst":2ntteaca said:
Ok I read those links to remove the yellow stains off the fur.

I think I'll try the peroxide first .. would be ok to just do a peroxide dip ? .. like fill a small bucket of peroxide diluted with some water and just dip the rabbit up to it's neck ?

I'd fill a spray bottle with straight peroxide instead of dipping unless the staining is down to the skin you don't need it. If the stains are skin deep, moulting is when the stains will go away.

If their feet are that sore , you might not want to take them to the show?
Its just my opinion of course, but i would keep them home and try to get the feet fixed up maybe try for the following show.
Also they make resting boards that urine will drain through, you can get them at TSC or order them from klubertanz, or the cage vendor at the show my even have some !! Good luck !!

I would also watch any offspring from these rabbits closely. Often sore hocks tend to be genetic due to thin fur padding on the feet and I have never been willing to take any rabbit to a show that needed some type of treatment or sore. The whole idea of a show rabbit is for you to breed as close to perfection as possible and I would not consider this as an ideal state for a rabbit. Of course if it is just from pure lack of breeder care the offspring should be fine, but once the little ones out of them get some weight on them I would be watching those feet closely.

A&BRabbitry":jucbytne said:
I would also watch any offspring from these rabbits closely. Often sore hocks tend to be genetic due to thin fur padding on the feet and I have never been willing to take any rabbit to a show that needed some type of treatment or sore. The whole idea of a show rabbit is for you to breed as close to perfection as possible and I would not consider this as an ideal state for a rabbit. Of course if it is just from pure lack of breeder care the offspring should be fine, but once the little ones out of them get some weight on them I would be watching those feet closely.

You did not say what breed they were. If Rexes like your others, Rexes are notoriouly prone to sore hocks, softer show quality Rex fur means the foot is less protected, coarser Rex fur means a better foot but not good for the table. Genetic it is, and hard to fix. My Rex breeder says she never shows a Rex past ten months and now I see why, that show winning fur means any rabbit older than that will have sore hocks by the time it's a year old.

What a night and morning. Busy Busy.

OK, I asked my equine vet about the sore hocks and toe nails last night at the racetrack. He had a remedy. He said exactly what some of you said about cutting into the quick as a last resort but he would have to see the rabbits to know. He came to the house early this morning and did the nails. He had some long match stick looking thing that you have to light with a lighter the hold to the nail to cut off the bleeding. He did this to the three does. They did rather well actually. Not too much of a fuss all things considered. He also said the hair that is missing off the rabbits will grow back shortly. He said it appears different rabbits were pulling each others hair out.

I also changed hutches and placed a coin of hickory wood so they have something solid to sit on while in the run around area.

Last night I did the peroxide spray on the broken rabbit and it did really good - I was impressed with the amount of yellow it took off the first scrubbing.

Then this morning after the vet left I did her again with the peroxide and she looks clean now - but still a tint of yellow some places.

I'm not going to show these rabbits at all. But I figured it out about my first show. I looked at the up coming show dates. There is another show coming up Feb 2013 - that will be my first show, I will pick 3 of these rabbit babies to take to that show. Sound good ?

I took pictures a little bit ago ... how do they look ?

IMG_20120915_090942.jpg

IMG_20120915_091205.jpg

IMG_20120915_091907-1.jpg

This picture below, after this morning festivities - they sat with their backs turned to me ... lol I thought it was cute.

IMG_20120915_092011-1.jpg

This picture I tried to pose the rabbit for your opinions - first time to pose a rabbit. How does she look, honestly ? Are they show rabbits ?

IMG_20120915_091136.jpg

I have no experience whatsoever regarding showing, but I just think your rabbits are really nice looking. And your posing shot looks good. Bun's back feet are aligned well (from all the pics I've seen). Definitely better than what I've tried to do. Hoping you get some good feedback from those who really show.

Wishing you all the luck in February.

Karen

MKirst":23z5d2o8 said:
This picture below, after this morning festivities - they sat with their backs turned to me ... lol I thought it was cute.
May be cute, but they were serious. You did have a treat? :)<br /><br />__________ Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:41 am __________<br /><br />when they stop sitting on their hocks as much, they may pose easier.

Piper":1otp164s said:
MKirst":1otp164s said:
May be cute, but they were serious. You did have a treat? :)

__________ Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:41 am __________

when they stop sitting on their hocks as much, they may pose easier.

Ya, I gave them peach pealings. The picture was after they ate the treat. That's why I thought it was cute.

Will they ever stop sitting on their hocks ?

How bad are the hocks, open soars? If they are hurting, it can be like a bruise, you will have to wait for it to heal and the bruise to stop hurting, if so.

If she is a mini rex, her ears look a bit too long, but they might not be, fold the ear to the tip of the nose and it should not go past it. If it is a standard rex, then she would not be pressed so tight together in show pose, her toes should not touch her elbows. Either way she looks like she has nice type. The fur looks a bit wavy, and the color is uneven. Depending on her age the color will even out, but if she'd old enough to be bred, then that is probably her senior coat. I would have taken her, she is a good buy. If it were me, I would show her, but I have not heard of anyone showing a Rex after she was bred, the coat basically falls out of condition and really does not come back (possible but not probable), most get retired after 8-10 mos to be brood does.

Ya, all 3 are mini rex. The black one is the youngest born January 6th 2012. The Castor was born November 25th 2011 and the broken was born March 20th 2010. The broken produced 2 grand champions and the castor produced 1 from the same buck they are bred to now. This is soo exciting !!

I just hope all this transporting, cleaning them up and cutting nails and all didn't stress them to much that they lose the babies. They seem to be doing really well, little wootzes. We will see.

I stuffed a bunch of hay and shavings in the house for them so they can have a softer get around because of their sore hocks. This evening they are moving around alot faster and greeted me at the door - so I think they will settle in and heal just fine. The hutch is huge for these 3 rabbits .. I can tell they are not used to such a large area to live in.

I'm finished buying rabbits for awhile now (lol) John and Jill are in the house because they are house broken. They run around with my two cats and John loves to jump on everything. John can jump on the sofa, coffee table and dining room chairs .. he's having a field day. Jill likes the stairs - she runs as fast as she can up them then slow as can be down them over and over. John sits on a bookshelf just watching as if she's nutz or something. LOL I love em'.

Who would have thought rabbits could be so much fun ..

I've had a few of my does bred before I brought them home and all delivered just fine.

only one litter was tattooed with the breeder prefix, I gave a kit back from that litter.

Back