Tips for calling escapees!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan

Reaction score
Every time I approach my rabbit cages I use the same tone of voice and the same words. They begin relating that noise to getting treats or feed. This habit came in handy this morning because five of my six week old Rabbits had escaped their cage. Every one of these Five rabbits responded to my words and tone and came back to me from the brush! I was able to capture everyone of them and return them to my cage. I highly recommend doing this in case of an emergency.

I also made a habit of speaking to my rabbits all the time, especially at feeding time and grooming/brushing time. Once one of them got loose and wandered several houses away. Luckily one of my coworkers lived there and called to see if it was mine. She was astonished when I called the rabbit from a few houses away and he came running. She hadn't been able to get near him.

Lol, mine get to spend time loose in the yard. They see me coming and know it is time to go back, and they are not keen on the idea. The yard is rabbit proof though, so I just keep walking after them until they give up. It is only because I have such good fences that I can get away with this. I keep an eye on them so they don't get to dig out. I thought they would eat but they mostly explore, while nibbling occaisionally along the way.

The bunnies, sheep and chickens here all get talked to, they seem to like it. It's also handy to announce to the bunnies that someone is headed their way so they don't get startled and run into something.

The bunnies here don't seem to wander much when they get out, although one buck did go next door and hide under the house there for a bit. I just left him there and he came back the next day so he could be picked up and put back in his hutch with everybunny else. I think he got lonely. He's been the furthest ranging one, though, usually they're right under the hutches waiting to be put back inside. Especially when all those other bunnies are getting tasty things and bunnies under hutches aren't.

Ive used audio cues b4 feeds. And been feeding in the same spot in the tractor. Where they are locked up overnight. 5 days into owning them and when i make the sound n they run to tractor to await the meal. Which i give then lock up for night. Amazing clever creatures! I never knew?

Back