Thoughts? Newbie ideas

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corrielainedd

Reaction score
Just starting out, wanting to raise meat rabbits, but dont want to be boring.. :)

What I think I might want (1 buck, 2 does)

1 Rex buck (nice color/pattern), 1 NZ and 1 Cali doe
or
1 Harlequin buck (found a breeder near me), same does^
or
either buck, 1 NZ or Cali, and 1 Am Chin

I want good meat rabbits, but I want appealing colors and pelts too.

thoughts?

Silver fox has always been my white unicorn. Always wanted it for the meat and the fur but never am able to get one. That would be my choice for you.

Since you brought it up (hehe) I would also look into SF breeders.
I have quite a collection of them, and they are looking awesome right now with their winter coat.
Also no complaints on their behavior, as they are on the top of my list for kissing butt, lol so nice!

SF has silvering that comes out as they mature 6+ months and then is pronounced in the winter to an almost full silver with black trim

I have been crossing SF with NZW and seeing fabulous results in color and weight gain

For lots of colour and an awesome coat you can't go wrong with Rex. They're good meat rabbits and have that plushy velvet coat. I don't get quite the growth rate the Silver Fox, NZ and Cals do but I don't need it either. By the time a Rex will give you a three pound carcass the pelt is usable too.

I have many different colors and sometimes wish I didn't!

One rabbit pelt is too small to do much with and if you have a bunch of pelts that don't match you get a patchwork quilt of fur colors with one chestnut and one steel mitten, a hat that has harlequin on one side, magpie on the other and with black around the rim and 2 shades of chinchilla that make up the trim on your hood.

I have mutts, and I love all the colors I get! It's so much fun! :D

Each doe gives different colors and patterns when matched with the same buck.

Back