Thought I'd share some restaurant updates if that's ok?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy9

Reaction score
Most of you know we bought the restaurant back in November of 2012, and it's been crazy ever since! Well, we've made a couple big updates cosmetically lately, and I thought I'd share if that's ok?

We finally finished the siding on the exterior of the building, and now all that's left to do is stain it, which will be done in Sept. It will be stained the same color as the front left of the building. This is the original building (I don't have one on this computer showing the siding on the front). The sign is no longer there either, as that's no longer the name of the business.
552178_441705409219304_380884448_n_zps044d4aa4.jpg

Here's the side though, just getting finished up. The front was done in the same siding.
963767_533078783415299_344249492_o_zps9b9f2b2f.jpg

We also had our first big event two weekends ago, an Amateur BBQ Cook Off. We opened it up to 10 entrants in the chicken and rib categories, and also had potato salad and pie categories as well, awarding prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places in each category. We supplied everything, and all they had to do was cook it......this way we were legally ok to invite the public in, and serve BBQ, selling it by the plate. We had no way of knowing how this would turn out for our first event, and planned somewhere in the middle for how many people to serve. In 45 minutes we sold out of 50 racks of ribs, 3 whole briskets, and 270 pieces of chicken!!!! People were snaked in line around the tent to wait for food!!! We had 2 bands on Saturday, and then Sunday we had a small parade around the block, then finished it off with a Bluegrass band. It was a AWESOME weekend!!! The townspeople said there has never been that many people in one place in our small town in over 30 years! I'm so happy for Dave, this was his baby, and he put his all into it! Already have people signed up for next year!
945962_563476013708909_258451622_n_zps96673df9.jpg

Dave and I took a trip to Spring Grove, MN yesterday, to go to a restaurant auction to look at something we wanted for the restaurant. On the way there, we talked about the highest bid we'd be willing to put in on this item, and set our limits, as you should always do before you go to an auction. We did our homework the night before, and knew how much the value of this item would be as long as the quality was good.

We got there, and checked over the item we were interested in bidding on, satisfied with the quality. The auction starts, and we get to the item we were interested in. The bidding surpassed the limit we had set for ourselves, and I was disappointed. All of a sudden I hear the auctioneer, "going once, twice, SOLD!" He was looking at Dave! My husband had taken it upon himself to go over the limit we had set, and bought all SEVENTY TWO chairs!! Gone are the old miss-matched metal framed stacking chairs, and in with the rustic hickory wood chairs! I'm glad he did though, I've had a vision of the way the dining room should look since we bought the place, and it's finally reality. We've done a little bit at a time, as we could afford it, and it's coming along slowly.
IMAG0877_zps6d7d7df0.jpg

The updated bar area! We've removed a pool table to make room for more table seating in the bar. During the weekdays when it's busy, but not really busy enough to open the dining room, this allows us to have additional seating without have to open, and heat or cool the dining room. It also allows a much more comfortable seating area for our elderly crowd who have such a difficult time getting on the bar stools. Works out wonderful!
318777_297718693665302_294219694_n_zps891d932a.jpg

Thank you for letting me share! :)

Glad to see things are going well. I'm sitting here a little hungry and wishing I had a plate of that yummy barbeque.

WHOA!!!!

You've really worked your fanny's off. LOOKS GREAT.
I wish you all the success in the world.
The restaurant business is a toughie.

Beautiful remodeling....excellent ideas.

grumpy.

That looks and sounds like a restaurant I would love to be a "regular" at! I love the changes you've made.

Best of luck to you with it.

You've done a great job, Geri! Enjoyed the update and please feel free to post your news at any time. That's what the Coffee Table is for!

My sister's restaurant in Bracebridge, Ontario (our cottage company) is due to reopen any day now. Because of it, I take a particular interest in your restaurant news. :)

Wow, Fuzzy!

Your BBQ event shows that you have the whole community behind you in this venture! I guess they like the fact that you changed the name back to "The 400 Club", and obviously that is not all that you are doing right. :clap2:

The changes you have made are very, very nice. The wood work inside was always pretty, but looking at that old ugly siding, you would never expect it. The log siding you have on the exterior would make me stop and come in for a meal if I was passing through your town.

I love your new chairs- I would be proud to have them in my own home.

I wish you both continued success. You have worked hard, and it shows!

Please do continue with the updates- it is so nice to hear a success story in this terrible economy.

Keep up the good work!

Ooooow! I love the new look! You did a fantastic job! Its very inviting! :)
Sounds like the cook off was a huge success! If you were in our neck the woods, I'd have been standing in line along with everybody else! Congratulation! :up:

It looks wonderful! :bouncy: Thank you for sharing!! It doesn't look like an office breakroom anymore... it looks warm and inviting! Y'all have done an amazing job, and your hard work is obvious. That's great that the community is coming in on it, too... I know that cook-off was an awesome boost to you and your husband. :)

Remember to always keep your main focus on the food... the most attractive restaurant will get little business without really good food. And I've seen plenty of holes-in-the-wall with terrible decor and no atmosphere, that are always insanely busy because their food is great! :)

Thank you so much everybody, I appreciate such kind words! It's a commitment when anyone takes on a business like this, and it's been a huge learning curve for Dave and I. We literally started from scratch with this place, as the previous owners really neglected the building, the business, and it's customers. We had a lot to prove to them, and earn their trust, and the hard work is finally paying off. There is a tremendous amount of history in this business, and bringing it back to life is something we are very very proud of. As one of our customers said yesterday on Facebook, it's our pride and joy.

One of the things Dave and I never planned for when we bought this place, was that we were going to meet so many many wonderful people! There are those that are more like friends and family, than customers. They are happy to see you when they come in, and I have never gotten so many hugs in my whole life as I do here! There's one elderly couple that I just adore, they are so so sweet, and the woman hugs you like you are a long lost friend she hasn't seen in years! LOVE her! So cute! The community has really welcomed us, and all we had to do was give them what they wanted........great food, and a comfy casual place to sit, and dine with their family and friends! :D

Dave's been doing excellent with the food, and is really bringing them in. People love his food, and we work hard to give the customers what they want. We're actually more like a miniature version of a supper club, so it's kind of a bigger building than you would expect. We don't have the supper cluby atmosphere though, it's really laid back, and is a mix of great bar food, with a fine dining cross. Weekly specials are: Wed: Home made lasagna, and all you can eat spaghetti with Dave's home made sauce. Thurs: BBQ Baby Back Ribs.....we make our own bbq sauce. Friday: Fish fry, and we offer 7 different fish choices, where around here most other places only offer 2. Saturday it's Prime Rib, Rib Eye steak, and shrimp. Sunday has really taken off for our broasted chicken dinner, with home made dressing, and real mashed taters. We have a full burger menu, with several sandwiches like Prime Rib Po Boy, Pork Belly Sandwich, a Fatty Patty, Reuben, and your standard fish and chicken sandwiches, as well as a few others. We have 5 different wraps that are made fresh to order. We make alot of our own sauces, and try to do a majority of our food home made as time allows.

We are committed to offering the best customer service we can, so we make sure we are front and center all the time. We take time to talk to our customers, and on Friday and Saturday nights, our busiest nights, I am up front, and simply put, I get to walk around, greeting our customers, talking to them, and making sure they know they are welcomed here, and that we appreciate them! It goes over huge with our customers, and I've had people tell me how much they like that, they want to see the owner in a place like this! One customer told me that she talked about that for a month, told everyone, "I watched her walk from table to table, and she took the time to talk to everyone!" It's something so simple, but it has such a big impact. You get to know the regulars, know their stories, and they remember yours. You become friends!

It's a work in progress, that's for sure, but we love it, and as long as the people keep coming, we'll keep serving!

That menu? Wow, I would SO be a regular if I were closer.

Wait...one major point...how are your french fries?? That's a deal breaker for me.

Hand cut, home made fries, with a little bit of special seasoning sprinkled on them. Our customers tell us they are addicting! :lol:

Awesome! Made from scratch with fresh ingredients... you can't go wrong, as long as you know what goes together, and what doesn't! And y'all obviously have that in hand! :D

I've been to a couple of restaurants where the owner walked from table to table and talked to everyone. Made a big impression on me!

I was looking for a photo of our fries for you, and I found this. It's one of our specialty burgers! It's one of those "unique specialty menu items" that get 'em talking. It's served on a 16" pizza pan, and cost $40. People talk about this burger, and arrange groups to come in, and try it. Had a group of older woman tackle this burger one time..........so funny! They mowed it down! You should see the mouths fall open when we walk this baby out to a table!

Layer order: Start out with a round sour dough bread loaf.
Bottom of the bun
1st layer - 1 lb brat burger patty, a bunch of bacon, and a bunch of cheese (swiss and cheddar)
Middle of the bun
2nd layer - 1 lb beef burger patty, a bunch of bacon, and a bunch of cheese (swiss and cheddar)
Lettuce, onion, tomato
Top of bun
With a ring of french fries.......a tripple order!

We have a smaller version of this that comes on a regular large kaiser bun, and it's quite popular! :lol:

61258_449969968392848_551140382_n_zps72600997.jpg

483489_449969948392850_632801814_n_zpsc0ed3b63.jpg

68355_449969881726190_1328950531_n_zps926ed600.jpg

Was there a burger in those pics?? My eyes were glued to the fries.

I love my fries I does.

Wowie zowie! Now THAT is a burger that could feed my entire family of five! :p

Your patrons look like real characters. :D What fun!

fuzzy9":lnoxzwp2 said:
We are committed to offering the best customer service we can, so we make sure we are front and center all the time. We take time to talk to our customers, and on Friday and Saturday nights, our busiest nights, I am up front, and simply put, I get to walk around, greeting our customers, talking to them, and making sure they know they are welcomed here, and that we appreciate them!

There is a little Italian restaurant up in Kernville that is run the same way. The owners buy failing restaurants, revamp the menu and management, and then sell the successful business... or at least they used to- they love the little town of Kernville and decided to stay.

But their management style is the same, and they have been very successful at it. I can tell you that our family appreciates the attention... it just makes you feel special when the owners come over and chat, just like you are somebody!

Latest posts

Back