This color has me stumped!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RR MiniSatins

Reaction score
tankit.jpgThanks to my rainbow pedigrees (lol) I am getting some colors that I'm not familiar with. This light tan kit is a foster to the others, but it's littermate that didn't make it, was what looked like a blue chin. It is almost a champagne color, ears and belly are lighter but not really white. Dad was a chin that has given me lots of colors, mom was a chin out of a black silver tipped steel. Any ideas? Thanks

Attachments

• tankit2.jpg
    tankit2.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 492
Thanks, the father is definitely a chin but the mother might be a light steel. Her mom was a black silver tipped steel and this doe's bands were pretty much non existent. She looked like a chin from the top, but not when you blew into her fur.

Sables aren't born sable colored. They are born an off blue. Kind of smokey silver color. Most people would mistake them for blues or dark lilacs but the points start to darken at about 8weeks. They won't turn brown until 3-4months. Not sure what a chocolate based with sable genes would do though. Google seems to show something that is a shade between chocolate and lilac as kits. The pics here look like a fully dark chocolate. With a chin and steel parent it's probably agouti based. Chocolate chin or chocolate agouti (cinnamon).

smokey silver is a good way to describe the color. Starting to look chocolate based as it gets a little older. Exciting to see what it turns into. Thanks for the insight everyone. <br /><br /> __________ Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:40 pm __________ <br /><br /> Here is a pic of the mystery kit, now 12 days old. Looking more like a chocolate chin? Never seen one before. Head is slightly darker than body.

Attachments

• Mistykit2.jpg
    Mistykit2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 428
Here is a new pic of the mystery kit, almost 3 weeks old now. It does have a narrow pearl ring, no black tipping (all chocolate) and the eyes definitely have a red cast. What would be the difference between chocolate agouti and chocolate chin? Thanks

Attachments

• choc2.jpg
    choc2.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 374
  • choc1.jpg
    choc1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 374
Chocolate agouti has yellow while chocolate chin lacks any yellow pigments and are white and chocolate. I'd say this is a chocolate chin :) very pretty!

Maybe I should try and get it recognized in American Chinchillas :popcorn:

Chinchillas - the rodents - now come in chocolate after all :mrgreen:

Back