* The Pee Test for sexing babies. *

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR_ND

Reaction score
* The Pee Test for sexing babies. *

Written for the impatient/curious soul. When your new babies are a day or so old, or up to a week or so, gently pick one up so that it is held belly up. Make sure you wait for a time when they need to pee. Lick your pinky (yes I said lick your pinky!) of the opposite hand and gently tap, stroke the genital area (cool breath helps) til the baby starts peeing. If the stream lets out in a straight stream then it is a male. If it lets out straight but then goes to a heavy drip then it is a doe. Crazy? Well, sounds that way, but I have never had it be wrong. Use a different finger for each baby for obvious reasons. And try it a couple days in a row, to be sure. You have to catch them early, before they pee on their own. I like knowing what sex they are early on.

I found this online so I thought I would post it here. Has anyone heard of this before or tried it? Can't wait to try it whenever I have another litter, but I don't even have a doe to breed yet so I'll have to wait until I get my ND's.

I might try it too, along with the visual check! - I forgot to say, from the title, I was expecting to have to get the rabbits to pee in a cup! :p :p :p

Comet007":2u4gmgwo said:
I might try it too, along with the visual check! - I forgot to say, from the title, I was expecting to have to get the rabbits to pee in a cup! :p :p :p

I imagined something similar, involving strips of litmus paper to compare pH levels or something.... :lol:

DogCatMom":qs9zrjsn said:
Comet007":qs9zrjsn said:

I imagined something similar, involving strips of litmus paper to compare pH levels or something.... :lol:

LOL :coffee-screen: :laugh2: :rotfl:

DogCatMom":5nn3wq05 said:
Comet007":5nn3wq05 said:

Exactly! I was also picturing getting them to pee on a stick like a pregnancy test! Oh joy, thanks for the laugh!

That's easy. Wear your nicest, most delicate shirt and hold the bunny close to your chest while testing it.

arachyd":29bscsg9 said:
That's easy. Wear your nicest, most delicate shirt and hold the bunny close to your chest while testing it.

:coffee-screen: Yes, they would do it on your nicest shirt.

Back