The guess where the blood came fom game!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beach Bunny

Reaction score
So i go out to take care of my rescue doe ( yankee)i grab her greens bowl and there is dried blood on it o_O.I then check around the hutch and there is some blood dried up on her hay.I pick her up and check her everywhere.Not a sign of blood or a cut anywhere??? She is acting normal as well.So either she is hosting some kind of bunny fight club while we are sleeping or she's getting ready for Halloween early.Can rabbits have nose bleeds? :x

Rabbits can have nose bleeds, but that is usually associated with rather serious things like snuffles, which your doe does not sound like she has.

Rabbits can fool you in many ways -- this may not be the "Guess where the blood came from" game, it may be the "Is this blood or not" game (in which case, you are also involved in the "Guess what game we're playing" game)! Rabbits often have alarming shades of urine, including blood-colored, which are completely normal. Any chance this is urine?

Perhaps she tore a nail and cleaned it up really well?

Yes no snuffles and i'm pretty sure it was not urine and i check her poo for anything odd as well.I'll check her nails again and see if it was that.

I love how i'm freaking out and she just sits there looking at me like "what?"

Did you check for mouth injuries? Those are hard to see and bleed a lot. If they have hayracks in their cage or heavy food/water containers they can bang their mouth.

I've seen aborted kits delivered and consumed (Bertha dropped a few halfway through gestation, I had a big mess, then at day 35 she dropped 10 healthy kits). It's messy. Any chance she was pregnant? It would account for the blood...

Well i checked her toes and her mouth again...nothing unusual.She is spayed so definately not pregnant :) Perhaps the sex change fairy has a cousin the mysterious blood spatter fairy?

Possibly a mouse or snake got in her cage and she dealt with it.

Sometimes there is no obvious sign left from a mouth or nose injury. We've had guinea pigs leap off things and bang their mouths because guinea pigs don't have any reach with their front legs to break their fall. Blood would go everywhere and a couple hours later when you looked at them you couldn't find a sign of it unless they chipped a tooth.

Possibly a mouse or snake got in her cage and she dealt with it.
We once went to let our chickens out in the morning to find their feeder completely splattered in blood. It looked like a slaughter had happened but not a single chicken was injured. We later figured out that a slaughter had happened. It involved lots of mice becoming dinner or breakfast when they went to steal chicken feed.

She's a tough girl so i can see her giving the neighbor's cat a reason not to hang around.

It's been the whole day and no more signs of blood or any illness so i'm going with whatever did happen happened and tomorrow she will find another game to drive me crazy with :D

Latest posts

Back