"THE" doe - Who set the bar in your rabbitry?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSFAngoras

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
We all come across "THE" doe. The one that meets and exceeds our standards. I think we need a thread to honor these girls, so I'm starting one.

Meet Ruby, Rue for short. (She was named before I got her, I'd never willingly give an animal such a silly name!!) She came at a hard time for the rabbitry, the does who preceded her had issues, and I had yet to have one live litter out of 3 attempts, one of which I lost the doe to. (Beginners BAD luck, not knowing enough and having a mentor who was a fiber genius, but knew little on how to properly care for angoras, man do I wish I had RT then!). She was not a doe I wanted since I am not fond of REW's but as I wanted the cage stacks she was in, I had to at least foster her until she sold to get the cages. After seeing her wool production, I bought her, and it's a decision I'm glad I made. She was my first successful doe, and I'll never forget how exciting it was to have those first six, fat wiggly little kits!

Rue will always be my gold standard doe, never for conformation or any show qualities, but she has been the most wonderful mother I have yet to have. She was protective, though never to the point of aggression, her kits were always in he nest, well fed and covered with more wool than you would have thought one rabbit could pluck. She's the only doe I've ever had who seems to go through a small stage of depression once the last of her kits wean, and the only doe I could still trust putting her now 6 month old doe kit in with and she'd welcome her back (though I won't because let's face it, a total of 21 plus pounds of rabbit is too much for a 30x36 cage!). She even still insists on cleaning her when they're out in the yard running together.

She's given me five lovely litters in the two years I was breeding her, and now that there's enough of her genetics out there (I've only kept one of her kits back, but have friends who have her kits that I have access to) she's living the life of a spoiled retired fiber rabbit. I know most sell or cull old brood does, but Rue is the one doe I won't let go. She still does produce some amazing fiber, and at 13 pounds plenty of it, though I would keep her out of respect even if she didn't. Not to mention, she still helps out in the mothering department, even if she didn't know it. We've got -7 degree temps right now and if it weren't for her wool I shoved in the nest of the two does that just kindled, the kits would have froze as neither doe pulled much of their own fur (ones a good mom but never pulls until after, works in summer but not now, and the other doe is a first timer, so she might get it right the next time). Ruby herself has even been running around with mouthfuls of the straw I shoved in her box to keep her warm, though there won't be any more kits for her.

The does I've gotten since that litter have yet to live up to that standard. Most of the new angora stock I brought in from a new breeder I was trying last year were mental, and many of the other breeds have had their flaws too. (The champ doe is the one not pulling fur until after kindling, though past that she's a wonderful mother. Just a terrible choice to breed in winter!) I've learned which flaws I can live with (fur pulling) and which I can't (mental rabbits!) and deal with what I can I do have a new doe who so far has meet all of my temperament requirememts who is due for her first litter next week, and Rue's doe kit will be ready to breed in February, so we'll see how they do, but thanks to Rue they have a pretty high standard to meet!

Which doe has been monumental to your rabbitry?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 667
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 667
I have a "brown meat mutt" doe who weens 11 or 12, and makes a litter average of 4 1/2 to 5 lbs at 8 weeks, I will continue to keep her daughters, - the one daughter I kept just to see if any of this was passed on to her offspring, has weened 12 her first round, so-- now I have 2 more of her daughters about old enough to breed [but will wait till spring]. I will see how this goes before I get too carried away keeping replacements.
When I was a kid and knew almost nothing , I had some Checkered Giants, who consistently weened 10 to 16 young, and one even weened 18, but I did not have any idea how special they were , so did not do anything with them, and those genetics were lost. Oh how I have wished over the years I had kept them and worked with that as a base---

Pfft. That's easy. Everyone knows my pick, and I'm not shy about it.

Alaska.

I've never had another rabbit measure up to her in the mane department. Her litter was the one and only litter of that crossing, and the buck's only litter... I foolishly sold him to a pet family, and he was neutered, been kicking myself about THAT ever since! She has her conformation faults, and probably isn't an ideal doe for show breeding, but she's so even tempered and calm. This doe can go months without breeding, without getting hormonal, and breeding easily when I decide it is time. She's the best backup momma I have - delivers on day 30 reliably, will foster anything without issues. Has no issues with her babies being taken out or handled, and all of her doe kits have her same even temper. The worst you get from Alaska(or one of her doe kits) is the occasional grunt. Plus everybody loves her.

964829_628364627197739_1608458641_o.jpg

Right now I would probably say Hezaa. Wonderful personality, raised a litter of 5 for a netherland, and her conformation is not amazing, really need to get shorter ears, but good enough. I have weak does for conformation right now but 2 outstanding bucks and Hezaa's first litter is reaching breeding age.

In the past, Shimo. Another wonderful ND with not so perfect conformation. She was actually a petstore purchase but looks plenty pure netherland just badly bred. Her color was the amazing part and her personality was so wonderful we thought about using her as a therapy animal.
Picture007.jpg

DSCN0947.jpg

For my meat rabbits the never named creme d'argent doe wins by a landslide. I never entirely liked her looks or personality but she could sure pop out good babies. Didn't matter if it was over 100F or under -20F she made a nest to match and still raised a litter. I always intended to give her more breaks but she was so horrible when not bred. Not aggressive type but nonstop harassing bucks through the bars, tearing down colony divider wire to get to the bucks, humping everyone... so I kept her bred as long as her condition held. For about 4 years she produced back to back litters majority of the year with no decline. 8-12 kits a litter.
DSCN1155.jpg

DSCN0344.jpg

a bunch of creme d'argent doe's kits
DSCN1373.jpg

I got my first rabbits in March '08, a buck (Adam) and three does. One of the does was a red NZ named Scarlett. Some of you who have known me since then have known about her. She had the temper to go along with the red hair and we had a love/hate relationship but, wow, what a good mother. She gave me many litters over the years and none on the wire, all in the nest with appropriate fur. Some days I could pet her and some days I had the chance to get bit but she was generally pretty good and we got along. Her daughters that I decided to breed were also good mothers for the most part and the three does that I have in the colony are her granddaughters and are generally good mothers.

I have to give special mention to Adam and his son Fred (from Scarlett) who is my current buck. Adam was the sweetest, most laid back blue NZ, easily handled and not the biggest buck around but he produced Fred, who is a bigger, stocky steele buck with a great personality and a weakness for back rubs.

My rabbits aren't the biggest around, don't consistently drop record setting litters and I haven't a clue as to whether they are show quality or not but they've worked out well, been healthy as horses and made the transition from cages to colony without blinking an eye and I credit Adam and Scarlett as being two top quality bunnies that started this whole lineage off.

Man...I've had some good does.

Pancake, my over-productive sweetheart.
Mucky, My housepet who's beyond friendly and a good mom in her own right.

Both "nurse right in front of you" girls. The kind who wedge their head under your hand for petting when you are investigating their newborns, and have never had a "hormonal" day in their lives.
But,
my "golden doe" would have to be Pancake's mother, Esper.

She was a pedigreed Lilac, took second place the only time we dragged her to a Pasrba show. That isn't what was special about her though, and I never was able to find a purebred buck worthy of her.

[album]2108[/album]
She came to me as a proven adult doe.

She was my first doe to get her kits to 5 lbs at 9 weeks. Since she was just a little 7.5 lb doe, I was impressed. Especially since there were 9 kits in that litter.

She would lift for ANYTHING, ANYTIME.

She NEVER LOST A SINGLE KIT that was in her care during my time owning her.
I often used her to teach junior bucks how things work.
She would take in fosters as late as 4 weeks old.

She wasn't the friendliest doe, never hormonal or aggressive, but not a "people rabbit". Mellow, but she didn't want petting.
I'd get the impression she just wanted to be left alone "to do her thing."

It was the temperament and mothering ability that she passed to her daughters that was really special. When socialized, you would get does like Pancake.

I liked her so much, every meat doe in the rabbitry is out of her, or one of her daughters.

Some of her kits:
[album]2401[/album][album]2320[/album][album]2951[/album]

I'd have to say, she was always happiest when surround by kits.

Attachments

• GEDC3783.jpg
    GEDC3783.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 611
Gosh, I've has so many good does that it's not even funny!

I think if I had to chose it would have to be:

[album]3132[/album]

she was a very wonderful mother right from the start and had massive litters! it was always 10-12 kits and she did a wonderful job keeping them alive. Her daughter was just like that and her granddaughter just kindled 6 it's not bad for a first timer she pulled a mount of fur and all lived so we will see next breeding if she has more.

I'm going to have to save my F1 holland lop / lionhead cross KEEBLER. She has been spot on with her numerous litters. She's a rock star mom and her litters are just amazingly calm and friendly. She must put her babies in timeout because they don't harass her like other litters. She feeds them well but on her own time schedule not theirs. I have other does that can't sit still without being harassed by the babies. We had planned to pursue the Lionlop project further but Keebler and her brother Beefcake produce such wonderful mutts that we just stick with them. They always sell easily in the pet market.

Here she is with her brother beefcake (black) and another brother as a baby

I have only had rabbits since August so I don't have much to compare. I have one breeding age doe and so far she has been a dandy. She is a meat mutt and weighs a measly 5lbs. I've been weighing her first litter and I'm optimistic that they will reach 4lbs at 10weeks. They weighted about 2lbs 7 oz at 7 weeks and about 3lbs today at 8 weeks. Not stellar but given how small she is not bad. She raised her first litter of 5 with no problems. Bred back when they were 3 weeks old and currently has a 3 day old litter of 7 with fat bellies even though it's winter. She might not be the best doe I'll ever have but given her small size I'm pleased plus she shows just the right amount of concern for her litter without any aggression.

I think I was lucky getting such a sweet little doe as my first breeder. I'm completely sold on rabbits.

I don't have a 'the' doe yet but the closest would be Lucky. I sold her as a youngster to Whipple and she'd've been processed if I hadn't (hence her name).
She's a nothing special to look at castor but she's the doe who gave me the litters of 16 & 11 back to back last summer. I think she's the doe I'm going to use as the start to an experiment I'm going to recreate.

No doubt that THE doe that began my rabbitry was PCR Whip Cream & Brandy, called Brandy, or oftentimes just Mama for short.

PCR130.jpg

I purchased her sight unseen from Pease & Carrots Rabbitry in Oregon in 2012. Never before purchased a rabbit from online, from someone I didn't know, having to arrange transport, nor paid anywhere near so much money. I was on pins and needles until the day I picked her up, a 3.5 hour drive from home at the very first convention I had ever attended.

She was and is a beautiful English lop. Correct in every way. She came to me with 2 legs for BOB, then tore her ear and ended her show career. Her personality matches - a sweet and gentle bun who always has time for petting. She's a great Mama and loves her babies.

Lineage wise, I couldn't have asked for better. When I purchased her, this was all in the future, but her full brother went on to win BOS at the 2012 National Convention. Her previous owner also won BOB at the same show. A brother of hers produced the RGC buck who is currently the main herd buck in my barn, and she and he produced this years 2014 BOB Nat'l Convention winner.

The BOB winner aside, nearly every baby from that cross has at least 1 leg. Three of them are currently waiting on registered grand champion certificates. She is due today for her 3rd litter from that same cross. I can't wait to see how they turn out.

Brandy has produced me a grand champion in each and every litter she has had, regardless of the buck. She has a lifelong home here at AKF Rabbitry and I am forever grateful for Molly Pease at PCR Rabbitry for selling me such great stock to begin with.

Well I have seen some pretty impressive rabbit hutches on this site but now you're saying your rabbitry even includes as bar? :eek: Well now that is classy Liz and all this time I thought you were running a shoestring operation, you obviously never showed me the attached wine bar. :evil: Good decision on your part actually. :lol:

coyotejoe":2ysc3vkb said:
Well I have seen some pretty impressive rabbit hutches on this site but now you're saying your rabbitry even includes as bar? :eek: ...
Mine does and we recycle. Cans turn into rabbit pellets. Pellets get recycled into the garden. Peppers get used with the stew rabbits in the crock pot. :p :beer2:

The doe I will forever miss is Marsha. She died before Tim arrived, and had the heat tolerance of "Wild Child"(anyone remember her?) and PJN15. She was one of those laid back, could house anyone. With her does. Excellent mothering, and a more than friendly pet. I am starting over with my AmChins now. I suture could use another like her!

I am so fond of this gal, I had to find this thread again and post who is setting the bar for my rabbitry.

This sweet gal known around here as "Lily" (WolfSong's B3A) has definitely set the standard for her mothering. She did everything right. From preparing the nest with lots of fluffy fur, and continuing to add more days after kindling to make sure her little ones were warm enough.
Having 6 healthy, adorable kits her first litter, with no issues whatsoever.

She is precious the way she is so relaxed with them. She seems so pleased to have them perched on her back. She watches over them carefully and so affectionately but is more than willing to share her little ones with us. Never a bit aggressive.
Before having her first litter she was more stand offish. It seems motherhood suits her well.

Glad to have you Lily!
Lily relaxing with her kits April 2015.jpg

I don't think I've had one yet. All these gals produce well and take care of litters, so in order to be the one, they would have to go past that.

When I find the one, this doe will have to be a producer, a milker, and more importantly I doe that I would consider a good pet, that I would keep till old age.

Latest posts

Back