Tatoo?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

home*sweet*home

Reaction score
At what age do you tatoo the babies. We are new to this and have 4 does and one buck. They are Holland lop and are pedigreed (two need to be be registered still, but will do at the next show).

Also do you only tatoo if they are being sold as show bunnies. Do you wait to see what the bunnies look like first, or do you tatoo all of them. The breeder that helped us get started said I could bring them out to her and she will do it for me, but I forgot to ask when and I have bugged her so much and she has been so sweet. She sold be a 2 yr old Grand champion and another great 1 yr old for $50 for both because she was keeping a daughter and needed cage space (she also wanted me to have an older experienced doe to teach my two young ones what to do.)

Here are our rabbits. http://lopsbyleah.com/rabbits.html

Thank you

Those are all great questions and I'm looking forward to the answers because I'm new to all this too and want to know what to do as well.

I tattoo all of the kits at or before weaning.
I like to know exactly who the parents are.
The kits may not look it now, but they could possibly
become something you would like to keep in your breeding program.
Not knowing the parents you will not be able to create a
correct Pedigree. Some may become Meat rabbits, but others
may become a nice addition to someone Else's herd.
But, not if they do not have a Pedigree!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer: :bunnyhop:

Your Rabbit cannot be registered
if it does not have a legible Tattoo
and a complete Pedigree.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer: :bunnyhop:

So you would tattoo all of them. Would you only bother to register show quality kits, though? Or do you register them all?

From what I have read/been told, you can only register rabbits that are over 6 months old, and have no disqualifying faults, and are tattooed and have a full/complete pedigree.... (You can only get GC with a registered rabbit I believe)
So, I guess it just depends on how good of quality you have and how long you want to keep them as far as registering an entire litter... Personally, I am only going to worry about registering my show rabbits.

I tattoo all of mine right before they are weaned. That way I can fill out the pedigree and when I home them I know they are getting the correct paperwork. Even though some might be pets they still get a number by me so that I can put them in my kintraks software.

I found tattooing before 8 weeks made it harder to get a legible tattoo so mine get tattooed between 2-3months. I do all of them. Sometimes I do rabbits that are going to be butchered if I'm not going to get to them for awhile and I want to make sure they don't get confused with other rabbits. Most people who buy rabbits for show/breeding want or often even expect them to be already tattooed unless you are a really new breeder and haven't gotten a kit yet.

Tattoed rabbits are easier to track because it gives you a reference point for what lineage they come from. It's very easy to get multiple rabbits mixed up without, and with today's computer age, that ought never to happen. It's so much easier to track individual rabbits than it was 25-30 years ago.

Also, having tried 2 different tattooing system and seeing a third type used yesterday, I say get a tattoo pliers with a quick-release function built into it. They work so much better, as they're quick and to the point.

And I'd say that doing your tattoos when they're young is a bit more civil than trying it with older bunnies. Much easier to handle a young junior than a gull-grown, cantakerous senior.

SatinsRule":2zbh9ael said:
Tattoed rabbits are easier to track because it gives you a reference point for what lineage they come from. It's very easy to get multiple rabbits mixed up without, and with today's computer age, that ought never to happen. It's so much easier to track individual rabbits than it was 25-30 years ago.

Also, having tried 2 different tattooing system and seeing a third type used yesterday, I say get a tattoo pliers with a quick-release function built into it. They work so much better, as they're quick and to the point.

And I'd say that doing your tattoos when they're young is a bit more civil than trying it with older bunnies. Much easier to handle a young junior than a gull-grown, cantakerous senior.

We got some tatoo pliers and have been researching. Thank you so much! I have a computer program that tracks and does pedigrees and everything.

We don't bother to register ours until they have gotten a leg or two. The purpose of the registration system is to certify that the rabbit meets it's breed standard. Beyond that most people only register their rabbits in order to eventually obtain a Grand Champion certificate. Most exhibitors are more interested in the legs that a rabbit has obtained because that represents the opinion of the judges that have seen the rabbit. A registration is only the opinion of one registrar.

Adam

When I'm not being a slacker all my rabbits get tattoos it's more for personal identification purposes then anything else, the club I show with does not require tattoos it hands out ear numbers at the show that you write in the rabbit's ear with a sharpie instead (so each show there is a new number assigned and judges don't get use to certain tattoos showing up on their table).

I've sold rabbits who have been bumped around all over the place and sometimes the pedigree doesn't always go with them and I've had people e-mail me stating the rabbit originally came from me and it's tattoo # is this and I'm able to supply them with the correct pedigree.

I'll tattoo a rabbit before: A show, I sell it, or if it missed out being tattooed the last time I tattooed a bunch.

I personally tattoo everything around 6 weeks. Show quality, pet quality, EVERYONE, for personal records and for the buyer's benefit so if they lose a pedigree or whatnot I can send them a copy. It's easier then finding the pedigree for that black doe the buyer bought last November named Nellie.

I also like to register everything right as they turn Senior age before I breed them. You can only register showable rabbits.

Back