Swooning over Sallander!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LPH_NY

Reaction score
This is a thread dedicated to Sallander colored rabbits. Please post pictures of YOUR SALLANDERS so we can all SWOON :lovers: :love:

I'll start with my Chowder.

10860899_1540119689575511_4393151489793483101_o.jpg

10866243_1540119589575521_1170217519951551057_o.jpg

1669753_1540119602908853_6048020675021188917_o.jpg

and one of his baby photos:
10300287_1447536355500512_6765629181452783362_n.jpg

Let's try to keep the photos on this thread limited to Sallanders... but I'm all for opening up a new thread dedicated to sharing photos of bunnies in YOUR FAVORITE COLOR!

Ohhh I want to pet him so bad. He looks so soft and silky. Chowder is a lovely guy.
Sally is one of my top favorites - it's tied with frosty, chocolate sable point, and silvered blacks. I really like them when they have a good wave on the flanks and sharp markings, but the smokey look is to die for as well. :in_love: Sure wish I had some!

OK, now I need some...I've been eying the pictures that show up on the forum for a while....so now you are going to put them all in one place..you are :twisted: :twisted: ...What do you breed to get these?
I am lost for the genetics so just simple straight forward breed names....or color names... :roll:

katiebear":e7sjoe0i said:
OK, now I need some...I've been eying the pictures that show up on the forum for a while....so now you are going to put them all in one place..you are :twisted: :twisted: ...What do you breed to get these?
I am lost for the genetics so just simple straight forward breed names....or color names... :roll:

Sallies are a chinchilla'd variant of tort. Regular chinchilla (there's 2 kinds: one regular, one shaded/sable) to tort - breed the offspring together, and you're sure to get sallanders.

Celice, the second one down in your lineup - I LOVE! Is it a buck? What breed? There's something about the uneven shading on that bunny that I just can't take my eyes off. It has wide ears, too... looks so cuddly.

Darn it! Just downloaded all my 1000 + pics from my phone for the new program update. Will post when I get home. This thread works well for me since I have mainly chin and fawn in my herd, with a lot of self and dilute hiding around.

Thank goodness rabbits are judged on phenotype and not genotype, my 'Pearl' buck that took BOB BOV (cheating, he had no competition!) was actually genetically a sallander! :whistle:

LPH_NY":179fipt3 said:
Celice, the second one down in your lineup - I LOVE! Is it a buck? What breed? There's something about the uneven shading on that bunny that I just can't take my eyes off. It has wide ears, too... looks so cuddly.

thanks!! that one was a doe she was a Mini Lop/NZ cross show quality from both lines but just a mutt really good body type though, she really had wide ears! little dumbo that one! I sold her as a pet to some people that wanted to start their own rabbitry. she had 8 if I remember them telling me. she had a really sweet nature. :) <br /><br /> __________ Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:54 pm __________ <br /><br /> Just went out there and took this picture of my resent Broken Sallander buckling w/ white ears

rabbit_by_tricksters_taxidermy-d8fmwwq.jpg

Celice":2yk6k73m said:
LPH_NY":2yk6k73m said:

thanks!! that one was a doe she was a Mini Lop/NZ cross show quality from both lines but just a mutt really good body type though, she really had wide ears! little dumbo that one! I sold her as a pet to some people that wanted to start their own rabbitry. she had 8 if I remember them telling me. she had a really sweet nature. :)

__________ Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:54 pm __________

Just went out there and took this picture of my resent Broken Sallander buckling w/ white ears

rabbit_by_tricksters_taxidermy-d8fmwwq.jpg

OMG, He's SO HANDSOME! I refuse to add broken genes to my rabbitry...because of the unpredictable markings... BUT... wow, is he gorgeous enough that I'd almost consider it. Is it from regular broken or VM? It looks like his front feet are white and he has a blaze on his face, is that right? Gosh, are you keeping him? And if so, can you come back when he gets older and post a pic of his grown-up glory??

I like the broken gene every once in a while that's why I keep some rabbits that have it. His mother is a broken chinchilla 85% broken. he took after her markings. his Sire was a Sallander MR.

He's a regular broken. No VM in his genes but I know he can and will throw me charlie and 50-85% brokens. he just might give me Himi's too all his other siblings are Himalayan. His mother has a boat load of color to her genes so he just might too. :D

You're all evil, mean people! I think this is now my favorite color. (I reserve the right to change favorite bunny color once per day)

Personally I think martens should have a different name from selfs but since they don't here is shimo's line
tiny shimo with her weird swirls
Picture007.jpg

shimo turning dark
DSCN0768.jpg

All her offspring have this head marking even the sable points
DSCN0762.jpg

It's spreading
DSCN0918.jpg

final color although it was always shifting a bit
DSCN0947.jpg

First shimo sallander
DSCN1055.jpg

DSCN1112.jpg

Second litter, 3 sallanders, Enki the otter point I recently rehomed, and a silver marten
Picture001.jpg

DSCN1423.jpg

I have this as my facebook background
DSCN1425.jpg

Sadly she succumbed to pasteurella shortly after selling that litter and had to be put down within days of becoming ill. A risk of buying a pet store bred rabbit.

Here are pix of our newly-diagnosed Sallander, Wave! :p

Wave1-010715_zpsbxgyqyxh.jpg

Wave4-010715_zps1ywnwhjr.jpg

Oh my... they are all so gorgeous! I think Sallander might be my favorite. :)

katiebear":3uah6nl2 said:
What do you breed to get these?
Well, let's see. Our Sallander recipe went something like this:

1. Breed a chestnut Mini Lop buck to a chinchilla'd broken red doe with smut (a white rabbit with faint spots - fur tips only - and black eyes).
2. Keep a chinchilla doe from the litter.
3. Breed the chinchilla to a Californian buck that carries steel. Have a litter of 8 steels.
4. Have life get crazy, so that it keeps you from butchering the litter -- in fact, it's so crazy, you don't even move them to growout cages.
5. Suddenly realize that every doe in the cage has probably been bred by the bucks in the cage, when you see a young doe pulling fur. This is five does, and you have three cages. Split them up 2, 2, and 1. The chinchilla mama is sharing with one of her steel daughters.
6. The chinchilla doe and her daughter kindle within two days of each other, but you don't know who is whose, because they're both taking care of all of them.
7. You now have a sallander -- but you don't know if it's chinchilla x Cali or steel x Cali (with chinchilla gene, I'm assuming).

:lol: Worked for us! :p

You might want to try something a little more straightforward and... um... not accidental. :oops:

Sallander is just a tort with chinchilla genes. Cross torts and chins repeatedly back to each other and some will appear. You might also get ermines which is the agouti version or like a red with chin genes. I'm working on those right now.

Back