sweet oil or Campho-Phenique and baby oil?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garden lady":2z505g2f said:
I got her treated with the Campho-Phenique. I got it pretty good and then she jumped back,growled and started shaking her head and scratching her ear and I thought, boy I will never get her to let me do that again. After a bit I called her and she came and put her head down and let me finish and do the other ear. I feel so sorry for Zoup. She was treated so bad. The woman that had her before told me she growled and came at her boxing and they did not want her. She was in that horrible little hutch and nobody would come see her or pet her. Hardly ever fed her. If you move real slow and talk sweet to her she will just lay there and let you pet her all day.
Poor Zoup! :( That is so sad. She sounds like such a sweetie, in spite of all she's been through!

I'm so glad she's doing better today! :)

Miss M":1v1nnn3q said:
garden lady":1v1nnn3q said:
I got her treated with the Campho-Phenique. I got it pretty good and then she jumped back,growled and started shaking her head and scratching her ear and I thought, boy I will never get her to let me do that again. After a bit I called her and she came and put her head down and let me finish and do the other ear. I feel so sorry for Zoup. She was treated so bad. The woman that had her before told me she growled and came at her boxing and they did not want her. She was in that horrible little hutch and nobody would come see her or pet her. Hardly ever fed her. If you move real slow and talk sweet to her she will just lay there and let you pet her all day.
Poor Zoup! :( That is so sad. She sounds like such a sweetie, in spite of all she's been through!

I'm so glad she's doing better today! :)

Me too! Thank you! I am glad she lets me work on her ears.

Miss M":167wxrep said:
garden lady":167wxrep said:
Me too! Thank you! I am glad she lets me work on her ears.
:) It's neat that she knows, even though it was uncomfortable at first, that you are helping her. :D

But we will see when it comes to trimming her nails. :x

Just do a little bit at a time. Might take you a bit longer at first but you do get the job done. I had to do that will all of mine, Fawkes included. But they do, after a while, settle down and understand that nail clipping is the worst thing to happen. lol. Treats afterwards works wonders.

Let us know how it goes.

Karen

skysthelimit":2bqkfzoz said:
, but I don't think I want to use it for the rabbits, just my opinion.
sure you can with no problem. But you have to watch the brokens genes.

__________ Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:59 am __________

garden lady... THE FIRst picture that you posted of it ear... did you just cleaned that out before you took that pic.

skysthelimit":j99jbqk7 said:
MamaSheepdog":j99jbqk7 said:
Elle Mac":j99jbqk7 said:
Try Earsolv.

I couldn't find an ingredient listing on the website. Does it contain Diatomaceous earth and/or sulfur?

Shipping from the UK?

Not hardly! But it is a powder and claims to be natural, so I think it must utilize one or both of those ingredients. I haven't used DE in the ears because I felt it might dry the tissues and possibly also get "caked". But it would kill the mites.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":3dufqcfm said:
skysthelimit":3dufqcfm said:
, but I don't think I want to use it for the rabbits, just my opinion.
sure you can with no problem. But you have to watch the brokens genes.

__________ Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:59 am __________

garden lady... THE FIRst picture that you posted of it ear... did you just cleaned that out before you took that pic.

I just saw this. I did not clean the ears in any of the pictures. I cleaned after those pictures were taken. I had to treat her again today. She is mad at me now. I may just juse mineral oil from now on because she knows what Campho-Pnenique smells now and is MAD. I am not sure what is best for me to use on all these rabbits or what I should do. I have 10 rabbits. Zoup is older. I have thought from the beginning she seemed to be itchy. I see a spot on her shoulder where hair is coming off. Not bald or open, just hair loss. I think she has fur mites. I noticed today the 5 kis seem to be scratching. What I have read, I could be bringing this from the hay, or Zoup had it and it is spreading. They were not in a clean place where they lived and lived with chickens where straw was. My options I guess are:
I treat ears with oil on some type of schedule and learn to live with it or treat with Ivermectin.
I treat them all with diatomaceous earth on a schedule or treat with Ivermectin.
I get rid of the hay and quit worrying they are going to be cold.
I really cannot deal with a bunch of problems. I need something that will work and just do it.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":3engr1g7 said:
I think you answered your own question .. Use ivermec

Why did you ask about the first ear picture, was it looked bad or not bad? I am going to the coop and write down what kind of ivermectin they have and see if that is the right kind before I buy it. Still not 100% sure I will. Also, not 100% sure Zoup has fur mites. I do not see any white flakes. Going to go take a picture of the spot on her. I took the picture. To me looks like new hair. I have been looking up molting, but cannot find if they itch while molting, do they? I saw a picture of it on a face with the line and the kits have that, so maybe that is why they are seeming itchy. Or do rabbits just do a lot of grooming. Their hair is shiny and no signs of any flakes or white stuff. Picture of the kits also with the line on their face.<br /><br />__________ Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:51 pm __________<br /><br />
Mary Ann's Rabbitry":3engr1g7 said:
I think you answered your own question .. Use ivermec

I went to the coop and they have Horse Health. Is this the right kind and how much for an adult and how much for 11 weeks?

HorseHealth-Ivermectin.jpg

Attachments

• Zoup.jpg
    Zoup.jpg
    47.1 KB
  • 11 weeks 3.jpg
    11 weeks 3.jpg
    88.5 KB
If that is on the shoulder, that is a normal place where a buck will grab a doe during breeding to hold on ... is there a buck in that litter? :cheesysmile:

AnnClaire":1cjhd0vg said:
If that is on the shoulder, that is a normal place where a buck will grab a doe during breeding to hold on ... is there a buck in that litter? :cheesysmile:

She is in a cage by herself and has been by herself for 4 months, so that can't be it. It is on top of her back, kind of behind her shoulder. I have been looking at fur mite pictures and she does not have any flakes and there is new hair there. Her ear mite pictures I think are mild and I saw pictures of rabbits with bad scabs in the ears from mites, but it spread down their neck to the back. I looked at all of them and I see no white specks, flakes, dandruff, but she chews and she kind of bites at her dewlap too.

My guys get very cranky when they molt. Even my sweet Kreacher is grunting at me and stamping his feet now that he's molting. I would think it does itch while they are molting. Dobby had patches of hair missing when molting. It's called "blowing coat". Just watch the skin. After a couple of days the pigment will darken, which shows that new fur is starting to come in. If the skin doesn't change after a few days, then there was a problem. Scared the heck out of me when I first saw it and did major research on it. It is common for some rabbits. He's the only one that really does it though, thankfully.

And regarding the line on the kits faces, I believe it's just the way the fur is while they grow? We watched the line around Fawkes nose travel up and turn into an X.

Line above his nose
BUNNYS445.jpg

Turned into "Mr X". Now that he's older it's gone.
BUNNYS598.jpg

I don't know anything about the product you bought. Wish I could help you on that.

Karen

ZRabbits":3bujpifp said:
My guys get very cranky when they molt. Even my sweet Kreacher is grunting at me and stamping his feet now that he's molting. I would think it does itch while they are molting. Dobby had patches of hair missing when molting. It's called "blowing coat". Just watch the skin. After a couple of days the pigment will darken, which shows that new fur is starting to come in. If the skin doesn't change after a few days, then there was a problem. Scared the heck out of me when I first saw it and did major research on it. It is common for some rabbits. He's the only one that really does it though, thankfully.

And regarding the line on the kits faces, I believe it's just the way the fur is while they grow? We watched the line around Fawkes nose travel up and turn into an X.

Line above his nose
BUNNYS445.jpg

Turned into "Mr X". Now that he's older it's gone.
BUNNYS598.jpg

I don't know anything about the product you bought. Wish I could help you on that.

Karen

I think it is new hair on Zoup. I thought it was bald, but it is darker and I can see the new hair. Nobody has flakes, so I am not going to use anything but mineral oil on Zoup. So far nobody else has anything. I see what you mean about the hair growing out and it looks like a line. The lines keep changing.

Back