sweet oil or Campho-Phenique and baby oil?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garden lady

Reaction score
have been looking on here about ivermectin and reading on line. Danger? Good? Oral? On skin? The Diatomaceous Earth? The first picture is Aug. when when we caught her and then the next is Sept. I have an Oct. picture and the ear looks the same, but today there is a lot more and down at the ear opening. Which is the safest the oral or on the skin? I read somebody took their rabbit to the vet and he put it in the ears and a few hours later was having seizures and dead. The oral seems the safest, but not sure. How much, what kind?

Attachments

• Zoup 1.jpg
    Zoup 1.jpg
    86.5 KB
  • Zoup 9.jpg
    Zoup 9.jpg
    85.5 KB
  • Zoup's ear.jpg
    Zoup's ear.jpg
    42.6 KB
If the ear is very cruddy just put a bit of vegetable or mineral oil in her ears for a few days. The oil will soften the crud and when the rabbit shakes her head (she will, guaranteed) the crud will come out. The oil suffocates and kills the mites without having to worry about dosing and side effects.

3mina":250vfofj said:
If the ear is very cruddy just put a bit of vegetable or mineral oil in her ears for a few days. The oil will soften the crud and when the rabbit shakes her head (she will, guaranteed) the crud will come out. The oil suffocates and kills the mites without having to worry about dosing and side effects.

I had a rabbit years ago and used oil, but it never cured it. I can try it with Zoup.

Try the oil first for several days. Ivermectin has been shown to cross the blood/brain barrier in several species of animals, not sure about rabbits. There is even a genetic test for sensitivity in dogs. I use it sparingly and carefully for the dogs, but I don't think I want to use it for the rabbits, just my opinion.

That is a pretty mild case there, and I'd definitely try treating with mineral oil first. Somebody on here uses a little squirt bottle. I have dribbled it into the ears, but I think I'm going to get a squirt bottle. Not that the buns get ear mites a lot.

You can use food-grade DE for fur mites, but I don't think you can use it in the ears.

If you need to use the Ivermectin, I have used the 1.87% horse paste orally before for fur mites. Seem to recall it's a pea-sized portion every 10 days, for three doses total? Smaller pea for smaller rabbit, larger pea for larger rabbit.

Dutch rabbits seem to be highly sensitive to the medication, though.

I posted this in the other thread:

Campho-Phenique is an oil, actually.

Active Ingredient
Camphorated phenol (camphor 10.8% and phenol 4.7%). Pain reliever/antiseptic

Inactive ingredients
eucalyptus oil, light mineral oil

So is the VetRx:
Active Ingredient(s)
Made with 3.3% (v-v) alcohol U.S.P. The mixture contains Canada balsam, camphor, oil origanum, oil rosemary, blended in a corn oil base.

So it's just a matter of which oil you use... medicated or not. :)

Miss M":2fknofwr said:
I posted this in the other thread:

Campho-Phenique is an oil, actually.

Active Ingredient
Camphorated phenol (camphor 10.8% and phenol 4.7%). Pain reliever/antiseptic

Inactive ingredients
eucalyptus oil, light mineral oil

So is the VetRx:
Active Ingredient(s)
Made with 3.3% (v-v) alcohol U.S.P. The mixture contains Canada balsam, camphor, oil origanum, oil rosemary, blended in a corn oil base.

So it's just a matter of which oil you use... medicated or not. :)

I saw it and thank you. Now if I can get her to let me mess with the ear.

EAR MITES

Are caused by the parasite Psoroptes Cuniculi which is a mite that likes to make it's home in the rabbit's ear canal. They irritate the rabbit to the point that the scratching can lead to infection.

SYMPTOMS
Shaking of the head, scratching the ears, and a brown waxy crusty substance will appear after awhile if not attended to.

TREATMENT
Place a few drops of any type of oil in the ears and massage the base of the ear gently to work the oil in. The oil will drown the mites. Treat one to three times a day for three days. repeat in ten days to get hatchlings.
I have used Ivermectine/Zimectrine horse Past Wormer for many years when treatment was necessary
and have never had a problem even when a double dose was used.
This stated, there is always the chance that a particular animal/rabbit or two may be allergic
to any particular medication.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

ottersatin":2nfsysd4 said:
EAR MITES

Are caused by the parasite Psoroptes Cuniculi which is a mite that likes to make it's home in the rabbit's ear canal. They irritate the rabbit to the point that the scratching can lead to infection.

SYMPTOMS
Shaking of the head, scratching the ears, and a brown waxy crusty substance will appear after awhile if not attended to.

TREATMENT
Place a few drops of any type of oil in the ears and massage the base of the ear gently to work the oil in. The oil will drown the mites. Treat one to three times a day for three days. repeat in ten days to get hatchlings.
I have used Ivermectine/Zimectrine horse Past Wormer for many years when treatment was necessary
and have never had a problem even when a double dose was used.
This stated, there is always the chance that a particular animal/rabbit or two may be allergic
to any particular medication.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Thank you. I will consider the Ivermectine if the other does not work.

Dutch rabbits are very sensitive to Ivermectin and will die. Dogs luckily have a genetic test.. it affects a lot of herding breeds as well as some others. Also some mini rex have shown symtoms of poisoning. It would depend on family lines as some will say they have never had problems while there are those that have lost almost an entire herd..

Devon's Mom Lauren":2b8gbggg said:
Dutch rabbits are very sensitive to Ivermectin and will die. Dogs luckily have a genetic test.. it affects a lot of herding breeds as well as some others. Also some mini rex have shown symtoms of poisoning. It would depend on family lines as some will say they have never had problems while there are those that have lost almost an entire herd..

I would have to have a major problem before I would consider it. Same as with Frontline for cats and fleas. I had never had fleas on animals while living in Idaho since 1988. Then, 2 years ago my indoor/outdoor cat brought fleas. I had to use Frontline. I was really worried about it. Instead of getting fleas in the summer, it has been about Dec. I am waiting to see if it happens this year. The vet said I was just lucky and Idaho always had fleas, but that is hard for me to believe, but I did not live in town, so that probably made a difference.<br /><br />__________ Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:39 am __________<br /><br />I got her treated with the Campho-Phenique. I got it pretty good and then she jumped back,growled and started shaking her head and scratching her ear and I thought, boy I will never get her to let me do that again. After a bit I called her and she came and put her head down and let me finish and do the other ear. I feel so sorry for Zoup. She was treated so bad. The woman that had her before told me she growled and came at her boxing and they did not want her. She was in that horrible little hutch and nobody would come see her or pet her. Hardly ever fed her. If you move real slow and talk sweet to her she will just lay there and let you pet her all day.

I've used cooking oil in the ears of rabbits, safe. Unlimited oil use.
I've used ivermectin horse paste orally for guinea pigs, safe. Match-head amount per pound.
I've used ivermectin cattle pour-on/inject-able on the neck and back of rabbit ears, safe. Up to 6 drops per 9 lbs rabbit.

I have used Earsolv to get rid of ear mites on my Rabbits. It is a natural product and you only need to use a tiny amount of the powder in each ear. It worked really quickly on my rabbits and started to reduce the redness within hours.

Back