Sussex cream and gold babies are here!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imogen Rose

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I have been reading this forum for a while, so when my new doe had her very exciting litter I wanted to post about it :)

She is a Sussex cream, and was bred to a Sussex gold, so I have ended up with 3 gold babies and 2 cream ones!
They are her (and mine) first litter so I was very nervous!
They are 6 days old today, I couldn't tell their coat colours apart when they were newborns.

I have never posted pictures before, so I dont know if this will work!

-- Tue May 20, 2014 7:03 pm --

20140520_165308_resized_zpsec44e2ae.jpg

20140520_165052_resized_zps36788568.jpg

IMG_0463_zps4408776d.jpg

The last one is the doe mid-molt a month or two ago, but you can see her colour reasonably clearly. So pleased!

Hi Imogen Rose!

:welcomewagon:

What a pretty rabbit, and adorable little kits.

I have never heard of that breed! They look like big rabbits- what is their weight range?

They are a relatively new breed- only standardised in 1991.
I have always thought they look like peter rabbit! I got my first one almost 20 years ago, they have the sweetest kindest nature.
They are between 7.5 and 8.5 lbs, they were origionally bred from meat rabbits.

They are the rarest breed of rabbit in england, with only two breeders ( from what I can find!) still breeding them.
As she has just had babies, im now the third!

I never heard of them but even in mid-molt I love that color!

Congrats on your litter, and it's always great to hear about people supporting and raising the rare breeds in any country! Keep us posted about your progress.

Hi Imogen I had one of your baby bunnies from this litter ! He’s amazing and still with us are you still breeding? As I really want another Sussex cream and no one’s breeding them anywhere.

Hi Imogen I had one of your baby bunnies from this litter ! He’s amazing and still with us are you still breeding? As I really want another Sussex cream and no one’s breeding them anywhere.
Your best bet is to contact Judy Le Marchant, who was the originator of the breed. She's contactable through the Rare Varieties Rabbit Club. Marten Sussex, both Gold and Cream, are also now standardised.

Pretty rabbits! Never heard of the breed, but we're on an island and have limited breeds available.

There's also a pedigree program, Kintracks, which will tell you how inbred any two particular animals are. When dealing with a limited gene pool, that's a very useful function. It's an inexpensive program and does a lot more than merely pedigrees.

Latest posts

Back