Surprise buck! Help! Holland lops

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frasiertastic

Reaction score
Hi, brand new here, sorry if I’m not asking in the correct place.
We have 2 Holland lops that are 5 months old today. They are pet quality (blue eyed white and Vienna marked black) from a breeder, so we felt confident when told they were both females. However several days ago the black was definitely mounting the white. Separated them immediately and via photo, breeder confirmed black is male. She seemed to think since the female was unreceptive she’s probably not pregnant.
Is it possible she’s not or more likely that we need to prepare for a litter?

The pair are super social and very bonded. Now in separate cages very low energy, and less interest in playing etc. We can’t get a neuter appointment for a couple weeks. By the time we’re able to reunite them will they still be bonded?
If it’s likely she’s already pregnant does it matter if I return them to the same cage or will he keep mounting her to the point of agitation?

It’s a bit pricey for neuter so I question if they are going to unbond should I rehome one of them instead?

Get the buck neutered. Wait a month, by then you will know if you have babies. Then introduce them again. If you want to help ensure the bond, keep switching which cage they are in and make sure they can continue to see and smell each other. Be prepared for babies ANYTIME you have a buck and doe together.

Just so you know, it's super easy to mess up the sexing of kits. Some males are super late in developing.

I was at a rabbit show once and there were three shows in one day. a rabbit was entered as a MATURE doe in two classes and won both classes. Third show was DQ'd for being a very obvious buck. we all gathered round and confirmed it and had a good laugh. So meat rabbits are super easy to sex normally, so for a mature rabbit to pass in two shows and be DQ'd in the third, tells yah something eh?

Yup, only takes about ten seconds if the doe is receptive. After she's bred, then she generally won't lift so just because she won't lift is no guarantee that she's not expecting. Give her a nest box and maybe there will be kits. Are they from the same litter or is there some reason you don't want them bred?

Yup, only takes about ten seconds if the doe is receptive. After she's bred, then she generally won't lift so just because she won't lift is no guarantee that she's not expecting. Give her a nest box and maybe there will be kits. Are they from the same litter or is there some reason you don't want them bred?
They are from the same litter. We thought we had “sisters.” I have no idea how to care for kits and am afraid they will die. I’m also nervous we won’t be able to find homes for them. You know, all the things.
These bunnies are the only pets we have, we just got them in Oct at 9 weeks old. I feel pretty ill equipped, so I’m just panicking a little. I’m all ears to be pointed toward any other resources.

Get the buck neutered. Wait a month, by then you will know if you have babies. Then introduce them again. If you want to help ensure the bond, keep switching which cage they are in and make sure they can continue to see and smell each other. Be prepared for babies ANYTIME you have a buck and doe together.

Just so you know, it's super easy to mess up the sexing of kits. Some males are super late in developing.

I was at a rabbit show once and there were three shows in one day. a rabbit was entered as a MATURE doe in two classes and won both classes. Third show was DQ'd for being a very obvious buck. we all gathered round and confirmed it and had a good laugh. So meat rabbits are super easy to sex normally, so for a mature rabbit to pass in two shows and be DQ'd in the third, tells yah something eh?
Haha that’s pretty funny!
Thank you for the good info! We actually did switch cages today so glad we’re on the right track.
Absolutely clueless and terrified about babies coming!

They are from the same litter. We thought we had “sisters.” I have no idea how to care for kits and am afraid they will die. I’m also nervous we won’t be able to find homes for them. You know, all the things.
These bunnies are the only pets we have, we just got them in Oct at 9 weeks old. I feel pretty ill equipped, so I’m just panicking a little. I’m all ears to be pointed toward any other resources.

Relax. There isn't much to do. Just provide a nestbox (I prefer closed boxes, lenght of the fully stretched rabbit, about half as wide and high, 1 hole on one side close to a corner, 2-3" from the ground, cardboard would do), lots of hay and privacy when you notice that she looks rounder, lounges more often, or you notice nesting behaviour - but better give it early, just in case, since you don't know when she got pregnant. And keep it up until 36 days after the buck got seperated.
Just don't meddle too much. Once she kindled clean and restore the nest, make sure the kits are well covered in fur, and that pretty much is it for 2 weeks.

About rebonding - after neutering, i don't think that is any problem. Also never had any issue with bucks (just intact ones) and kits.

Yep- like Preitler said, the does are usually very good at taking care of everything. Thankfully, it is not like puppies where it is often best to be there and help her out. :) The does often have their kits during the night, and they'll be there all taken care of when you check on her in the morning. Then the doe will nurse them maybe two times a day and they will just sleep in their little nest and grow. They open their eyes around day 8 or 9, and then they start wanting to explore a little. They will start eating hay and jumping out of the box next. If you want, you can sprinkle a little rolled oats in the box for them to try. They will probably start wanting to drink water and try eating pellets around 2 weeks. They just eat, grow and explore their cage. The bedding in the nest box may need to be changed out now and then so it isn't wet.

If you want to research about this stuff, there are lots of amazing threads here on RabbitTalk. And if any questions or problems come up you can always post again with them!

I don't know if it's been said before but mounting doesn't mean male. I'm use you checked but if there's no balls then don't stress. If it's a buck, don't worry about a litter having huge deformities, some breeders breed that close. Palpate at around 2 weeks to three weeks. Most times first litters don't work out anyway, keep us posted!

Hello, just wondering how the litter turned out? We have 2x 5 month old "sisters" (like yours, closely bonded littermates and living together) but I turned them to check tonight as I spotted one mounting the other and unfortunately Clover is a buck.

Back