sprouts vs fodder

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frosted Rabbits":ni2pdxxd said:
Don't monoculture anything you wish to use as food- even if it is a fruit tree!!!

I'm designing "food forests". I have planted 3 plum trees. I plan to plant mulberries, blueberries, fig, muscadines, hardy kiwi, etc. Around each tree or group of trees, will be herbs, flowers, vegetables, lower growing fruit (like strawberries), etc.

As you say, polyculture is much better for the productivity of the plants and for the diets of humans and animals alike.

I'm just wondering if the cultivar or type of mulberry makes a difference in it's nutritional power with rabbits.

Frecs":t686bkpt said:
[

I'm just wondering if the cultivar or type of mulberry makes a difference in it's nutritional power with rabbits.
With Mulberries, since there are few cultivars, the differences are probably minimal. YOu would find differences in species where the varieties or cultivars are widely different in flowering/fruiting periods, growth habits, etc. The growth stage of a plant determines sugar levels- which is what is used among fruit growers to determine the quality of the fruit. It is important to havbe healthy soil-- that will ensure optimal nutriion for the rabbits!

I'm going to switch from fodder to 4 day sprouts unless I get info from my query to SproutPeople that helps result the issue with getting my grass to grow. It is much easier to get 4-Day sprouts than to get 8-Day grass.

I've been experiencing with the sprouts vs. fodder. It sure is easier and quicker plus easier to develop a routine (although I'm still working on that). My rabbits all devour it as soon as I put it in their cages.
I'd like to know how much they would need everyday. I've been using it more as a supplement to their grain mix, but I'd like to know the amt.s and I might just switch completely...and will continue to feed them unlimited hay, mineral block, weeds, etc.

velacreations" [quote:35rywwhy said:
Also, I am considering doing a feed trial. Take 3 litters from different does, mix them up, and split them into 3 groups. Control group gets pellets. Next group gets sprouts. Third group gets fodder. All groups get free choice hay as normal. What do you think?

I know this is an old thread but I wondered if anyone has actually tried both sprouted grain at 4 days and fodder grown out to 8 and if so what worked best. I'm feeding wheat fodder this winter to replace the green forage available in the growing season. The older sources for natural feeding don't address the sprouting issue at all, but RT has provided lots of good advice and so far I haven't had mold issues but am interested in how the two ways of using sprouted grains compare.

Rainey, I can't give you any documentation for sprouts versus fodder, but I do know that some people have had very good results using sprouts. I tend to prefer them because the waiting time is less and they can fill a gap when I get behind on fodder production. It happens. Some people who have major mould problems with fodder find they can successfully grow sprouts for their rabbits (and poultry).

I found the information at this site very interesting:
http://www.parrotchronicles.com/feature ... edseed.htm

Also this:
http://www.landofvos.com/articles/sprouts.html

The parrot people are way ahead of us!

I remember one member on another site whose rabbits would not breed, even in a colony setting. I suggested feeding some fresh foods and the member introduced sprouts. Population explosion. They are not magic, but they are a good addition to the diet of rabbits and poultry.

MaggieJ":3k3o9e1s said:
Rainey, I can't give you any documentation for sprouts versus fodder, but I do know that some people have had very good results using sprouts. I tend to prefer them because the waiting time is less and they can fill a gap when I get behind on fodder production. It happens. Some people who have major mould problems with fodder find they can successfully grow sprouts for their rabbits (and poultry).

I found the information at this site very interesting:
http://www.parrotchronicles.com/feature ... edseed.htm

Also this:
http://www.landofvos.com/articles/sprouts.html

The parrot people are way ahead of us!

I remember one member on another site whose rabbits would not breed, even in a colony setting. I suggested feeding some fresh foods and the member introduced sprouts. Population explosion. They are not magic, but they are a good addition to the diet of rabbits and poultry.

Thanks Maggie. I read the articles on feeding parrots and of course they brought up more questions. One of the advantages for just sprouted seeds seems to be that they take very little digesting and I wonder how that works for rabbits which are adapted to digesting things like twigs and grass. Also at present I'm feeding wheat fodder, mixed hay and oats (grain, not sprouted), and roots (carrots & parsnips) So if I switched to sprouted grain would I need to add more fresh food? I want to keep them used to fresh green stuff so they won't have to readjust to it in spring. And I've read on RT that oat fodder is hard to grow but the parrot people seem to sprout it. Do you still feed some un-sprouted grain? And does doing so make a better balanced diet or is it just what to do if you don't have time to sprout them?
Thanks again. I keep asking so many questions, and I hope eventually to be able to answer some for others.

I'm no expert on rabbit nutrition, but I've always considered grain as a different food than sprouted grain. The grain provides carbohydrates whereas the sprouts give them enzymes, protein and vitamins. I'm a great believer in diversity in feeding rabbits, for safety and for covering all the bases nutritionally.

Naturally you want your rabbits to retain the gut flora necessary to cope with greens again in the spring, but my experience is that as long as they get some fresh foods over the winter, they do just fine. Remember that in spring the greens (weeds etc.) will be scanty at first and that also helps them to adjust at a safe rate. It is sudden change that causes problems.

I haven't gone as far as getting it nutritionally tested, but I have fed both (with other things mixed in as well). I personally have not noticed a difference in condition. I'm noticing a slight increase in the growth of growouts on the Fodder, but there could be other factors involved there, as the increase is not huge.

WhiteWingRabbitry":2lz4tlbg said:
I haven't gone as far as getting it nutritionally tested, but I have fed both (with other things mixed in as well). I personally have not noticed a difference in condition. I'm noticing a slight increase in the growth of growouts on the Fodder, but there could be other factors involved there, as the increase is not huge.

You've seen an increased growth rate with fodder--what were you feeding growouts before that you're comparing to?

WhiteWingRabbitry":11fz8r83 said:

How much were you feeding of each type? I tend to feed 3-5% of body-weight, depending on the animal.

For sprouts, that means more seed, as I typically get 3 lbs of sprouts to 1 lb of grain. For Fodder, I get 5-6 lbs of fodder per lb of grain. So, I tend to go through twice as much seed as fodder, but it takes less work.

If there isn't a difference or a slight benefit to fodder fed at the same rate, then fodder would make better financial sense.

velacreations":1vwrl29p said:
WhiteWingRabbitry":1vwrl29p said:

How much were you feeding of each type? I tend to feed 3-5% of body-weight, depending on the animal.

For sprouts, that means more seed, as I typically get 3 lbs of sprouts to 1 lb of grain. For Fodder, I get 5-6 lbs of fodder per lb of grain. So, I tend to go through twice as much seed as fodder, but it takes less work.

If there isn't a difference or a slight benefit to fodder fed at the same rate, then fodder would make better financial sense.

Adults get 6-8% of their body weight unless nursing. Growouts get 12-16oz+ each approximately.

I feed fodder from hard red spring wheat. I'm sure that each strain has slightly different values.

Since posting last time I've seen nutritional analyses for barley sprouts vs barley fodder, and at least to my untrained eye the fodder was "better". It had higher values in almost everything.

Latest posts

Back