Sprouted Grains with Adzuki beans…

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frecs

Reaction score
I’ve been sprouting a mixture of wheat, oats, BOSS, lentils with a sprinkling of flaxseed and the rabbits have been gobbling it up. Then, I added adzuki beans thinking they would be a good protein source and since humans can eat them raw/sprouted why not rabbits? Right? Wrong! The adults didn’t show any major problems other than they didn’t eat all their sprouts (an indication that something was wrong) and a bit off their feed for a day. The bunnies in the grow-out pen – 6 & 7 weeks old – ate all their sprouts but then one got poopy butt and they all were off their feed for the next 24 hours. I did leave the poopy butt one with the others since it was eating pellets but not as much – but then, the others were also not eating their usual quantities. Fortunately, they are all back on their feed with their usual gusto after 24 hours.

So, lesson here is – sprouted adzuki beans are not rabbit friendly! My chickens love them but I’ll have to sprout them separately for them if at all.

In general, beans are not advisable for rabbits. I don't know if that applies to bean sprouts as well, but there are so many safe things to sprout that I'd give them a miss. Thanks for the heads up!

Latest posts

Back