Sore hocks--any other suggestions?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Poor Wheatley!!!

I've had Megan in his cage daily since Monday trying to get her bred and he really has to chase her and wrestle her around. I thought at first she'd bit him somewhere but when I got a hold of him, I saw two spots the size of quarters on his feet that were raw!! This in a NZR!!!

I cleaned up his feet and then applied Blu-Kote (you should see how purple my hands are). I put in an extra resting board and a layer of straw where the resting boards don't cover. Should I just use a thick layer of straw rather than the boards??

I read on the threads here that I should apply either Preperation H or Neosporin to his feet. Should I do that in addition to the Blu-Kote? Should I apply Blu-Kote daily?

So keep his cage dry, keep his feet well supported, keep those spots from getting infected. Anything else??

if they aren't infected to the bone they should heal up well. Just keep a watch on them. Make sure that resting board doesn't get wet.

I think you would just pick one of the three to use... many members don't have Blu-Kote on hand. You don't need to apply it daily, just when it looks like it's wearing off, if I'm not mistaken.

I have a NZW who gets sore hocks easily, and I actually started putting terrycloth-sole toddler socks on her. I have to put a ring of medical tape around the ankle, because she likes to take them off. :roll:

I did re-apply the Blu-Kote on the days after chasing Meg around he tore up his feet a little bit again on the cement floor. I pulled out the resting pad because it was staying wet (this rabbit pees A LOT) and loaded him up with about 2" of straw, which I change daily. His feet are looking much better thanks to all the suggestions and advice here on RT!! Thank you, everyone!!!

I'm a bit late to this thread, but am glad to hear that Wheatley is improving! :bouncy:

I suspect that sometimes sore hocks are caused by fungus, which is why breeds other than rex (and rex themselves) sometimes get them. Blu-kote is great because it is both anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.

That said, so is raw honey- and I have had great success with a recipe I concocted:

Approximately 2 tbsp raw honey
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 tsp sea salt

If you warm the honey and/or the ACV the salt will dissolve faster. Mix well.

I would also recommend cleaning the floor of the cage with Betadine in case there is a bacterial or fungal element involved.

So glad he's getting better! :p

About the honey, absolutely, honey is a great healer! Anyone living in an area with fire ants will want to bring the rabbit indoors to treat with honey, though. :x

Back