Some scary stuff right here!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, there are over 60 (from this old article) - currently some 85% of all processed foods you buy in stores have some GMO ingredients in them, plus Google about wheat farmers who's crops have been contaminated by GMO pollen, costing the industry hundreds of millions because European countries won't allow importation of GMO products, also, Google about China right now, also looking at banning GMO imports

The following info is from an article that is 8 YEARS old! so I'm not sure what's new since then - from http://www.organicconsumers.org:

GM crops currently on the Market in the United States
More than sixty genetically modified crops have been approved for US food and feed supplies:
 Corn (20 varieties)
 Oilseed Rape/Canola (11 varieties)
 Cotton (11 varieties)
 Tomato (6 varieties)
 Potato (4 varieties)
 Soybean (3 varieties)
 Sugar Beet (3 varieties)
 Squash (2 varieties)
 Cantaloupe
 Rice
 Flax
 Raddicchio
 Papaya
 Alfalfa
 Wheat

At the end of the report they also state that there are several other things in the pipeline, including wheat, plums, salmon
A variety of GM fruits and vegetables are being field-tested, including: apple, banana,
blueberry, carrot, cranberry, eggplant, grape, grapefruit, lettuce, onion, pea, pepper, persimmon,
pineapple, plum, potato, squash, strawberry, sweet potato, tomato, and watermelon.
(SOURCE: Seed World)

Also, anyone who's concerned about this should be aware that some yahoo from Kansas has just presented a bill barring all states from passing any GMO labeling laws. 24 states are currently actively working on initiatives to require labeling - and some mouthpiece in Washington DC who's been bought wants the individual states to not be allowed to pass laws voted in BY THE PEOPLE.

Even if we start growing fodder or other natural feed, the only 100% sure way to avoid grains that have been tainted with GMO's is to buy organic or from someone who tests their yields.

Sorry, I meant those are the only GMO crops APPROVED for use in the U.S.
There are definitely a lot of other GMO plants that have been engineered, but were never approved, or simply haven't been grown for commercial use yet.
(I also wasn't counting the different varieties of each plant species).
To quote directly from the article you mentioned:
http://www.organicconsumers.org/ge/GMonMarketUS.pdf
"Many of the other crops have either been taken off the market, such as potato, sugar beet,
flax, and tomato, or have never been commercially grown, such as wheat and rice, due to market
opposition."

So those crops I listed are the ones we have to worry about, FOR NOW.
There are MANY more that are being developed, and Monsanto is still working on approving some of them.
Also, a few crops were approved in the past but are no longer currently approved.
For instance in the early 1990's, the GM "FlavrSavr" tomato was on the U.S market, but has since mysteriously "disappeared".
So yeah, although there have been some totally crazy things genetically engineered, but thankfully we don't have to worry about most of them for the time being.
Now if that yahoo in Kansas get's his way........... :x

michaels4gardens":27j368l8 said:
another thing I "fear" about GMO is the fact that it is a cancer that spreds, the wind blows the pollen from the crops down the road, right through our good old varieties, and corrupts them.-- so-- I save my own seed, -- but --I have no idea if I still have non-GMO any more or not -- and the "Farm Advisors" see no problem with this at all. {they say - I am wasting their time}

Yup and if you save your seed and Monsanto find out it is now a GMO seed they will sue you into submission. I am floored at what that company has been able to get away with. I suspect our government is in bed with them. As I understand things the seed is way more expensive than traditional seed plus you can't save seed. In addition to that, the claims of greater yield have been argued to be untrue. I also believe you are not allowed to doing any scientific testing with the seed.

I'm eternally suspicious when the government or big business try to hide stuff or block testing. Reminds me a lot of the battery egg farms that say their chickens are raised humanely but no one is allowed to see their operation.

I talked to someone the other day that mentioned GMO crops may be linked to the bees colony collapse disorder.

Schipperkesue":sbbv2bgz said:
Would this be the same product as "Roundup Ready" alfalfa, a crop immune to the effects of Roundup so it can be sprayed for weeds?
Yes, and it makes no sense. Here is the reasoning: "If we spray these plants with roundup, they will DIE. So let's genetically modify them to resist this chemical, so we can spray them with even more roundup, and it won't KILL them." Now we are eating vegetables with so much toxic chemicals on them they should be dead. :x [/quote]

It's a bit worse than that, actually. The roundup-resistant crops aren't resistant at all. They absorb the round up. You can find it in the bloodwork of the average American right now- the plant absorbs the round up, which we then eat, which ends up in our blood. So, if you drink it directly, it's an instant call to poison control, if you get it on your skin, you need to call poison control, if you get it in your blood from drinking it in your soda? THAT IS PERFECTLY FINE.

If you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you.

I am not religious in the traditional sense, and I don't believe in the devil, but I do believe to the bottom of my shoes that Monsanto is one of the most evil organizations in the world today. If there was a devil, he'd be sitting in that board room running the world from there. It's a lot more climate controlled than Hell.

Madpiratebippy":qdpu6svy said:
Schipperkesue":qdpu6svy said:
Would this be the same product as "Roundup Ready" alfalfa, a crop immune to the effects of Roundup so it can be sprayed for weeds?
Yes, and it makes no sense. Here is the reasoning: "If we spray these plants with roundup, they will DIE. So let's genetically modify them to resist this chemical, so we can spray them with even more roundup, and it won't KILL them." Now we are eating vegetables with so much toxic chemicals on them they should be dead.

It's a bit worse than that, actually. The roundup-resistant crops aren't resistant at all. They absorb the round up. You can find it in the bloodwork of the average American right now- the plant absorbs the round up, which we then eat, which ends up in our blood. So, if you drink it directly, it's an instant call to poison control, if you get it on your skin, you need to call poison control, if you get it in your blood from drinking it in your soda? THAT IS PERFECTLY FINE.

If you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you.

I do believe to the bottom of my shoes that Monsanto is one of the most evil organizations in the world today. If there was a devil, he'd be sitting in that board room running the world from there. It's a lot more climate controlled than Hell.:x

I would agree with that--

grumpy":9ylwv007 said:
With all of the difficulties over my feed issues, I've been doing some research.

I found this quote on a site::::::::and it's spooky.

When I wrote this page several years ago, GMO alfalfa was still just a glint in Monsanto's eye. The use of GMO alfalfa was deregulated in the USA in 2011. I strongly recommend you avoid it at all costs - dozens of countries around the globe now refuse to import GMO alfalfa because its use results in reproductive disorders and cancers, and failure to thrive or reproduce in some species.

Grumpy, Can you cite your source? I would love to read more about it and possibly share. I make it my daily mission to lecture anyone who will listen about the dangers and pervasiveness of GMOs.

Latest posts

Back